Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2008 6:02:00 PM EDT
Are they both as good as each other? I currently have no 9mm handgun cleaning supplies for my Sig p6, but it came with the surplus cleaning kit. The surplus cleaning kit uses a chain with attachable brushes. I'm used to seeing people using the cleaning rod. Are these chain type just as good, or should I go pick up a cleaning rod and brushes?

Here is a picture of the cleaning kit I am talking about, that came with the Sig p6:

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#2]
No one?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Alot of people aren't fans of the chain cleaning kits because its alot easier to marr the barrel (IE dumbasses pulling the chains out of the barrels at an angle).. But I find they work okay.. But a cleaning rod is just easier for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Bore snake.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bore snake.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bore snake.

Bore snake can't replace a cleaning rod can it...?
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bore snake.

Bore snake can't replace a cleaning rod can it...?

Well, it certainly can replace one of those chains, with less detrimental effects on your bore. ANY cleaning creats wear. There's no way around it. But it seems to me that bore snake is one of the least likely to damage your crown, followed by a one-piece rod and a bore guide. The jointed steel cleaning rods are probably at the bottom of my list, followed by jointed brass. Sadly even the carbon fiber rods have a brass ferrule on the end, which defeats the whole "one piece" advantage. anything you stick in your barrel, even from the breech end is going to exit the muzzle. A bore snake is one of the few cleaning tools which does not then have to be pulled back in past the muzzle to remove it from the bore. This cuts the exposure of your crown to wear in half, because for every pass of the brush with a cleaning rod, you still have to pull the rod back through (with brush removed). With the bore snake, it's one way.

Those Otis cable cleaning kits are probably a close second.

Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Beats the hell out of not cleaning it at all. I usually keep a cut down toothbrush on board my "serious" rifles to keep the bolt face extractor area clean. The kit you have looks like the ones I've seen for a G3. Again, better than nothing, but not as good as a weapon specific model.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top