Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/6/2015 11:12:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If your only using it twice a month the 2nd link would probably be fine IMO. If you were sharpening alot and ran a Oregon next to any other bench grinder I'm sure you would end up wanting to splurge.

But if you only need it twice a month, why spend the money? Just hate using a round file?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a harbor freight bench mounted sharpener. I actually works great. My brother has a high dollar one and mine works better. I use this at home and a Timberline sharpener in the field and it is a great combo.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:25:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking about getting one of these. https://www.timberlinesharpener.com/
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It would be a service I would be adding to my business. I already do small engine repair and this would be another service.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If your only using it twice a month the 2nd link would probably be fine IMO. If you were sharpening alot and ran a Oregon next to any other bench grinder I'm sure you would end up wanting to splurge.

But if you only need it twice a month, why spend the money? Just hate using a round file?

It would be a service I would be adding to my business. I already do small engine repair and this would be another service.

Copy that, makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought that HF one.  It's still in the box on a shelf in the barn.

A good file makes quick work of the job.

Eta: lol the el cheapo HF unit would not hold up for commercial use.  I'd get the Oregon for that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:28:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With one Of the ones you listed, using it 2 times a month would take awhile to break even. Charge probably $5 a chain to sharpen?
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Unless you're a pro and doing a lot of chains, you don't need power. Ther are a few good hand filing guides on the market well below $200. I splurged last year on a FG-2, they are very hard to get and it cost me around $250. Before you spend a lot of money, you should check arboristsite and firewood hoarders club.

Edit - never mind, I see now you're doing it as part of your business.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm tagging this thread for the very same reason. Glad you're over in Billings and not my competition!  

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought the chainsaw sharper attachment for my dremel tool just for shits and giggles, damn thing works pretty good.. I have a friend who has the HF sharpener I dare say the dremel worked better on my chains. Its was less then 20 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#15]
The Tecomec grinders are good units. I use a Stihl FG-2 because I prefer the edge that a file leaves. Plus I can use it to hold the chain the square file.

FG2 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

T1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

SQ1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If that's the case, get rid of the stone wheels and get diamond.  That's what my dealer gave me when he sold me one of his surplus Oregon 511's a year or so ago.  They last much longer and don't need dressing like the stone wheels.

Good luck!

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:33:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I like the Dremel kit. Cheap and effective.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If that's the case, get rid of the stone wheels and get diamond.  That's what my dealer gave me when he sold me one of his surplus Oregon 511's a year or so ago.  They last much longer and don't need dressing like the stone wheels.

Good luck!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck!

Forgot to suggest that too. Good call, those diamond wheels are amazing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:41:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was thinking 10$/ Chain but I would have to check the going rate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With one Of the ones you listed, using it 2 times a month would take awhile to break even. Charge probably $5 a chain to sharpen?

My chains cost less than $15 from Amazon.  I'd have a hard time paying you $10 just to sharpen.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:42:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:46:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got one of the Oregon ones for $186 shipped on Ebay.  Works fine.  Thing is, chains are now cheap enough to make it not worthwhile to spend my time sharpening them myself.  A new Stihl chain is $20 or so.  Screw it--run it until it's no longer throwing chips, then swap it out and run that one until it's dull, then put on a fresh one.  Take the first two in to the Stihl dealer to sharpen--ten bucks later I'm back in business with three sharp chains.  I should sell you mine cheap, but I may not always feel like running to town.  
View Quote

I've run across plenty of people who run a chain until it's beat to nothing, throw it away, and go buy a new one at home Depot for 25  OP could make money off those guys, and those guys could save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:50:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought a red plastic electric bench sharpener for about $50 on Amazon.  Works pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I use a harbor freight bench mounted sharpener. I actually works great. My brother has a high dollar one and mine works better. I use this at home and a Timberline sharpener in the field and it is a great combo.
View Quote

Yep.  I paid $27 for my Harbor Freight sharpener and it works fine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:10:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Local ACE hardware store here does it for $5/ chain.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:42:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Local chainsaw shops are now charging $6.50 to sharpen a chain off the saw.  It would cost me more to take the chain off my saws and drive into town to drop them off and then go back to get them whenever they get done some days later.

I have a couple Dremel sharpeners on different Dremel tools set up for each chainsaw, but usually it is faster for me to use a file with a small sharpening guide for each saw.

I usually order numerous chains from Bailey's when they are on sale.  I could get a new chain for less than the $10.00 the OP wants to charge when you factor in gas to the chainsaw shop twice to drop off and pick up chain.

When I talked to the local Jonsered dealer he told me he hired a kid to sharpen chains and gets swamped as soon as snow is gone.  He charges the $6.50.  Husqvarna dealer two years ago was charging $5.50.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw those at that price last week.  Do they come with one or two wheels for 3/8 and .325 chains?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:44:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Stihl sharpening set with files is like 25 bucks. Well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:17:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Local chainsaw shops are now charging $6.50 to sharpen a chain off the saw.  It would cost me more to take the chain off my saws and drive into town to drop them off and then go back to get them whenever they get done some days later.

I have a couple Dremel sharpeners on different Dremel tools set up for each chainsaw, but usually it is faster for me to use a file with a small sharpening guide for each saw.

I usually order numerous chains from Bailey's when they are on sale.  I could get a new chain for less than the $10.00 the OP wants to charge when you factor in gas to the chainsaw shop twice to drop off and pick up chain.

When I talked to the local Jonsered dealer he told me he hired a kid to sharpen chains and gets swamped as soon as snow is gone.  He charges the $6.50.  Husqvarna dealer two years ago was charging $5.50.
View Quote

How is it faster to use a hand file? I can sharpen a chain much faster with my Dremel, but I still have hand files in my chain saw box, in case I need to touch up a chain out in the woods.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a Carlton which is a rebranded Tecomec. It works well once you set it up correctly. Typically I hand file and have for many years. This just makes it easier when we get going with firewood. I also sharpen a few people's chains for extra money.
If you purchase a professional grinder, make sure that it is manufactured in Italy and not China!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The Tecomec grinders are good units. I use a Stihl FG-2 because I prefer the edge that a file leaves. Plus I can use it to hold the chain the square file.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7106/7866987428_a4f981d9af_b.jpgFG2 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7273/7866981398_c4c0f8106f_b.jpgT1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8436/7866995712_f2fc53e7dd_b.jpgSQ1 by zweitakt250, on Flickr

View Quote
What this guy said.  I prefer the Oregon bar mounted version so I don't have to pull the chain off.  I like a filed chain vs a ground chain.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I just bought the Timberline and have used it a couple times and love it
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I've got a guy here in my shop that i have do them by hand.

I charge $12.50 plus tax to sharpen a 20" chain.

That being said, that old codger is getting up close to 60, but damn does he sharpen quicker and better than anybody I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Harbor Freight has decent reviews and only $27 with super coupon til end of May.

http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-chain-saw-sharpener-61613.html

Good for homeowner, but not for business.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can buy a new full chisel Stihl chain for $20 locally.  To each their own, but I wouldn't pay 50% of new just for a sharpening.  The local guy charges $5, but I sharpen my own anyway.

ETA: TBK covered it already.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Arboristsite.com...theres only a couple they recommend and a lot to stay away from. Ar15 of the chainsaw world.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Over the past several years, anytime I manually tried to sharpen chains,  I do a poor job because the saw ended up cutting left or right.  I've now used the Harbor Freight sharperner for years and it works well.  I've found that when I lower the cutting wheel down to the chain, I can flex the wheel left or right.  Not sure if that is good or bad but it does its job.   Recently I purchased some Vallorbe files and their sharpening guide and I've seem to learn the proper technique and I can say that using these files, the chain is much sharper than what I could do with the Harbor Freight tool.

I do like that timberline cutter but that's about 2x more than what I'd pay.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Holy shit.  If you live where there's trees and you use a saw then why the fuck can't you sharpen a chain without some faggoty limp wristed tool?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I use the Oregon Power sharp kit..dig it.

easy, cheap, fast, get about 15 sharpens per kit.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I use a battery operated Dremel with a chainsaw bit.  It doesn't take long to sharpen a blade.  When I am removing stumps below the dirt, I hit a lot of rocks, so I have a bit of practice with this.  

A more formal tool would only be merited in the case of the OP, for professional daily use.  

I bought some diamond bits for the next time I need it. I have been using aluminum oxide bits.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a Carlton which is a rebranded Tecomec. It works well once you set it up correctly. Typically I hand file and have for many years. This just makes it easier when we get going with firewood. I also sharpen a few people's chains for extra money.
If you purchase a professional grinder, make sure that it is manufactured in Italy and not China!!!
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/jpmako/Mobile%20Uploads/B1694276-1E0F-4769-A1C4-A3E98B4A0B55.jpg
View Quote

Yup

This for touch ups, file every tank or two of gas.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#42]
I have the one from the first link.  4 years or so.  Though I bought it from Northern Tools, it's the same model.

I like it a lot and wouldn't go without one ever again.  I work in the timber a little and sell tie-logs from our place.  Firewood, too.  I rotate 5 chains, carry one on the saw and two sharpened spares.  Two different saws with different chain angles.  It works great.

With a grinder, though, you have to be careful and don't hog off more metal than you need to.  Or you will go through chains real fast.

I recommend the $127 one.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Holy shit.  If you live where there's trees and you use a saw then why the fuck can't you sharpen a chain without some faggoty limp wristed tool?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Those all look like good light duty units. You do need to watch how hot they get, it is real easy to ruin the temper of the chain without a water table.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#46]
I free hand with a file and seem to keep it sharper than everyone but the pros. I understand OPs situation but really, how freaking hard is it to keep a chain sharp?  By the time I would get the chains off, drag them to the store, bring them back, reinstall I would have wasted an hour that I could have spent doing actual work. You end up paying to get less work done.

All these little gizmos would be a pain to drag into the field. The 5 or 6 minutes it takes to sharpen a chain is a welcome break when you are cutting wood all day. Unless you have a really big bar it does not take much longer to sharpen it than it does to swap out a chain.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How is it faster to use a hand file? I can sharpen a chain much faster with my Dremel, but I still have hand files in my chain saw box, in case I need to touch up a chain out in the woods.
View Quote

You just answered your own question.   I need electricity to sharpen with a Dremel.  That usually involves driving several miles out of the woods to get to my house as my Dremel needs to be plugged in.  If I happen to be at my house using the Dremel, I have to stop cutting and go to my pole barn and find the Dremel, the sharpening burrs, put them and the guide onto the Dremel and sharpen the chain.  With a file I can do it just as fast and usually better even without a guide. I just have to sit the saw down and pull out the file.  I think I do a better job with a file than the Dremel.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tools are made to make life easier. Last Saturday cutting wood I cut into a big log and there was a fucking chain inside the log. Like the tree grew around it, the chain was totally embedded in the wood. Needless to say, it fucked my chain up. I have a file set but for something like that the chain gets changed out and tossed in the truck. Much easier to sharpen on the bench grinder than with files, it was really bad.

I usually touch up my chains in the field every time I fill up my gas tank.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 3:39:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Tools are made to make life easier. Last Saturday cutting wood I cut into a big log and there was a fucking chain inside the log. Like the tree grew around it, the chain was totally embedded in the wood. Needless to say, it fucked my chain up. I have a file set but for something like that the chain gets changed out and tossed in the truck. Much easier to sharpen on the bench grinder than with files, it was really bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is off topic but there's funny stories I have like this.  I've hit into horseshoes and old barb wire is the worse culprit.  Old timers strung it from tree to tree  and you never know.  You worry when you're working along a section line.  I have some T-posts on my place that have been enveloped by a tree, you can just see the top of it.

The best one is my buddy hit into something but it went on through.  The crosssection of the log showed what looked like a pipe in the tree.  They got curious and took it home and split out a shotgun from that log.  Somebody had leaned it against the tree and left it there.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Didn't read the thread I see.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top