Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 8/4/2002 3:41:36 PM EST
Anyone have any experience hooking up to the net using a cell phone modem. I would like to be able to access the net on my lap top anywhere at any time, but I know nothing about the equipment, reliability, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 3:53:47 PM EST
I use a Motorola StarTac with a Gateway laptop to connect to the net. I only use it when I am on the road and need to send or receive urgent e-mails since the fastest speed available at the moment is 14.4. Very, very slow to surf but adequate for e-mails. You purchase a special cable that connects via the serial port. The newer Motorola phones use a USB cable. You get disconnected just like you do on regular calls so it's a bit of a pain some times. It works though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:01:49 PM EST
A company called "3Com makes one for a nokia phone. I bought one about 2 years ago for 300 bucks, It was supposed to be 56k but the best I could get was 9600. It worked very well as long as you were parked some where, would not work driving down the road. About all I found it good for, besides the cool factor, was to get e-mail if you need something sent before I could get to the motel. Coolest thing I ever did was to send an e-mail to the boss in Bosten, sitting on the beach in South Podre. They probably have come along way in in the way of upgrades in 2 years
Top Top