Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2002 4:41:36 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience hooking up to the net using a cell phone modem. I would like to be able to access the net on my lap top anywhere at any time, but I know nothing about the equipment, reliability, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a Motorola StarTac with a Gateway laptop to connect to the net. I only use it when I am on the road and need to send or receive urgent e-mails since the fastest speed available at the moment is 14.4. Very, very slow to surf but adequate for e-mails. You purchase a special cable that connects via the serial port. The newer Motorola phones use a USB cable. You get disconnected just like you do on regular calls so it's a bit of a pain some times. It works though.
Link Posted: 8/4/2002 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
A company called "3Com makes one for a nokia phone.

I bought one about 2 years ago for 300 bucks, It was supposed to be 56k but the best I could get was 9600.

It worked very well as long as you were parked some where, would not work driving down the road.

About all I found it good for, besides the cool factor, was to get e-mail if you need something sent  before I could get to the motel.

Coolest thing I ever did was to send an e-mail to the boss in Bosten, sitting on the beach in South Podre.

They probably have come along way in in the way of upgrades in 2 years

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top