Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 5:40:19 AM EDT
The seventies flower children all seemed to have one thing in common - non conformity and rejection of societal norms.

Here's what I'm wondering -

Given the obvious societal norm in the US that Islam has BIG problems in NOT condemning thier own religions acts of violence, can we expect more 70's holdouts and flower children to embrace Islam??

Does embracing Islam give these hippies a means to reject civilized societies norms???
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#1]
bump

This is a MOST INSIGHTFUL post by me. I DEMAND comments.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:28:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Peace, love, harmony, and beheadings.

Just like John Lennon wanted it!!

Uh, no dude. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:34:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Uh, no dude. Sorry.

Not ALL of Islam is about beheadings.

My point is today, the societal norm is that Islam is a problem. Thus, hippies check into Islam NOT to behead people, but to thumb their nose at society.

Kinda like teenagers dye their hair purple and put a ring in their nose to try to give themselves an identity.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:41:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Lemme continue the analogy ....

Just like the old hippies, now Islam  gives the 70's dropouts the chance to -

1. Have long knappy unkept beards.

2. Not bathe

3. Wear ratty smelly clothing
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:43:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I think so...a lot of libs I went to high school with are doing the "islam" thing... I don't understand why... in the 70's they were about peace and love- now they're about converting to our enemies religion... does it make sense? no...but it's happening....

-Roth
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:43:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Very insightful, Garandman, and very true.  The hippies really dug the Vietnamese Communists too, even though they would probably not dig their treatment of women, treatment of gays, treatment of racial minorities, treatment of people with AIDS, etc.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Islam is attractive to ultra-liberals because it is exotic, foreign and it is representative of oppressed minorities. The fact that it is one of the most conservative ideologies in the world is simply brushed aside.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:38:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I think it just may be that and I am surprised at the vote being 14-14.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Geez, I hop not!

Make car bombs not love?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Buddhism, I could see.  Not Islam, way to hierarchal and structured.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Buddhism, I could see.  Not Islam, way to hierarchal and structured.

You mistake hippies for thoughtful, insightful, logically consistent people.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Geez, I hop not!

Make car bombs not love?

AGAIN, its NOT the car bomb aspect of Islam that appeals to hippies - its simply the opportunity to poke normal people in the eye that makes Islam appealing to them.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:00:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Does embracing Islam give these hippies a means to reject civilized societies norms??

Absolutely.

Hippies are scum.

Quoted:

Uh, no dude. Sorry.

Hippies today side with the terrorists - they march against America, burn American flags, call GWBush "Hitler", say America is the biggest terrorist state in the world - and are utterly SILENT about the beheadings of innoents or the massacre of children in Beslan.

Oh yeah - John Lennon would have sided with the Islamicists wanting to destroy America... EASILY.

"I hope some day you join us,
And the world will live as one"

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Geez, I hop not!

Make car bombs not love?

AGAIN, its NOT the car bomb aspect of Islam that appeals to hippies - its simply the opportunity to poke normal people in the eye that makes Islam appealing to them.

Well, I'm sure that the hippies are attracked to the not bathing, and not wearing normal clothes aspect!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Who is Cat Stevens?

I heard him on the radio this morning bragging about how 'everybody knew who he was'!

I know Cat Ballou but do not know of this Cat Stevens.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Who is Cat Stevens?

BigDozer66

"Morning has broken...blah blah blah"" Can't remember the rest of his LSD droppers ballads.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:27:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I think some people have a fall-out with Christianity, and decide to look for answers in different places.  They expect life to effortless and free from struggle, and look for that paradise.  Unfortunately, they don't end up as mainstream believers of a faith, but members of cults instead.

In other cases, I think some people do this stuff because the person they are receiving regular sex from is doing it, and get sucked in.  Before Iran fell apart and the radicals started pushing the old school law 13th century crap, I can imagine Islam sounded like a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#18]
FWIW Cats Stevens converted to Islam a long time ago.  It was long before all of this mess began.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't think Islam is the new hippy movement. But it is the religion of the disenfranchised. If you are not succeeding under the current rules and you really want to join something that justifies rebelling violently, then Islam is what you come to. I don't think you can ignore the correlation between religion, economic status, and ethnicity. Take a look around at who is or who has been a Muslim. The exceptions to the violent rebel rule are the attention seekers and the leaders who have something more to gain from having a following. The "peaceful" muslims are the ones who are doing fine but have the misfortune of being brought up in the religion. They would be wise to leave it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I think there's some Muslims out there that follow only the rules they agree with, much like there are Christians that don't comply to everything their branch of faith asks.  For example, I know Catholics that use birth control, and I know Muslims that drink alcohol.  What the average person finds as luxury or convenience is viewed as weakness and temptation by the hardcore followers, and they'd like to see it go away.  It's unfortunate when people cannot find a balance between faith and progress, and feel they must start a holy war to fix the problem.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I don't think Islam is the new hippy movement. But it is the religion of the disenfranchised. If you are not succeeding under the current rules and you really want to join something that justifies rebelling violently, then Islam is what you come to.

Good point.

No wonder Islam is so well accepted by the violent subhuman sociopaths in prisons.

People who "get" Jesus in prison come out wanting to do good.
People who "get" Muslim in prison come out with a big fucking chip on their shoulder.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#22]
They should cut his head off
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top