Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/17/2013 10:45:35 PM EDT
I know some are in support of carrying long guns and something it won't help. I personally think it will because I watched it work at the Tea Party rally in D.C./Arlington VA. It'll get us the media attention we need, send the message that we won’t give u our rifles or mags and show that we are professional and safe with them. Most liberals view gun owners as dirty rednecks and the few professional people that carry only own pistols. Professionally dressed people acting peaceful and intelligent with rifles slung on their backs shatters that image.

Anyways I want to get some sort of tally of who on here are going and who will be carrying a long gun. I don't know how to make a poll otherwise I would so I'm assuming you have to be a paid member for that. Also who’s bringing a sign and who would be interested in my wife making one for you? I also have chamber flags if anyone needs one.

As for me. I'm bringing a rifle and so is my wife, my friend and his wife and maybe my mother. Believe it or not when I mentioned possibly not bringing the rifle, my wife yelled at me that we aren't giving in to Obama and it’s our rights it what we’re doing lol.

So who's doing what? And what’s you opinion?

(obviosly I'm talking about only if its legal for you to do so)
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 11:14:09 AM EDT
I'm all for a respectful display of our rights - and I have nothing against openly carrying to help underline the message, but I'm just concerned that some will show up with multiple weapons strapped to them with all of their tactical gear on flying flags that say "COME AND TAKE FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!".

While it certainly would be a blast watching the lib's crap their pants over this display, this kind of message is likely to get more negative press than anything - the media is just itching to paint firearm owners and enthusiasts as unstable whack-jobs, and showing up at a rally looking like a "closet-commando mall ninja" will do more harm than good.

During the 2008 election I recall seeing some people toting arms at rallies, but they were very nicely dressed (shirt and tie types) and they represented themselves and stance well.

The kind of message that we want to send clearly and loudly is that we are law-abiding, responsible, contributing members of society and we hold our 2nd Amendment dearly and exercise it responsibly - we are just like everyone else and not a group of gun-crazies and there is no reason to fear firearms or those that protect it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 11:28:52 AM EDT
At the rally in KS the info given to the organizer is that carrying a long gun is illegal. CCW is legal, but we can't go into any government buildings if we're carrying because they're posted.

I think carrying a long gun at a rally is a really bad idea. Primarily because I think the media will turn that around and spin it as a group of out of control gun nuts. Saying it worked at the Tea Party rallies doesn't track given the way that the media has skewed the public bias concerning the Tea Party. We should have signs, and they should say something intelligent. And please, for the love of all that is holy, make sure they're spelled correctly.

"I'm the NRA and I vote"

"The Second Amendment is not negotiable"

"I own guns for protection, 2A is not about hunting"

"I'm a good guy with a gun"

etc
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:48:25 PM EDT
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. When the general public sees things like this they don't think "Huh, I guess I was wrong. People can openly carry scary looking guns and everything will be just fine!"

They do think "holy $#!↑look at those nuts!"

Openly carrying a rifle anywhere just alarms people. Whether it's this guy...

Man raises questions after carrying rifle into JC Penney

Or this guy...

Virginia Lawmaker brandishes AK-47 (actually a MAK-90 but you know how ignorant the press is) on house floor

Waving rifles around doesn't help either side of the cause.

When it comes to the gun control debate whoever said there's no such thing as bad publicity was wrong.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:23:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2013 5:24:20 PM EDT by Miles_Urbanus]
I will be open carrying a black powder, flintlock Kentucky long rifle tomorrow in Frankfort, KY with a sign that says: 18th Century "assault rifle".
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:26:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2013 5:27:21 PM EDT by Miles_Urbanus]
Originally Posted By TexSon:
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. When the general public sees things like this they don't think "Huh, I guess I was wrong. People can openly carry scary looking guns and everything will be just fine!"

Or this guy...

Virginia Lawmaker brandishes AK-47 (actually a MAK-90 but you know how ignorant the press is) on house floor

When it comes to the gun control debate whoever said there's no such thing as bad publicity was wrong.

You don't fight for your civil rights by staying in Mom's basement. Carrying a slung rifle is not the same as waving one in the air.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 7:00:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:
Originally Posted By TexSon:

Or this guy...

You don't fight for your civil rights by staying in Mom's basement. Carrying a slung rifle is not the same as waving one in the air.

stop thinking like you, and think like them. yes, it is the same.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:45:20 AM EDT
Speaking of seeing the other side of the argument...

Personally, I think a new argument needs to be taken separate from guns and start highlighting media and general non-gun culture masses with another approach: Talking about mental health. Again and again and again until it is at least talked about as much as gun control.

Everyone on this board can argue with facts, stats and 2nd Amendment about guns and gun violence that supports why banning "assault weapons" won't work and could actually do more harm than good. It's easy. It's what people on this kind of forum educate them selves about. And most conversations with other probably ends there as well.

But you have to ask; is that really the only battle that needs to be fought? Can we, strategy wise, open and push another opportunity?

I think we really need to start boning up on the mental health issues. Most of the mass shootings over the last couple decades were done by deranged individuals. NOT individuals possessed by cursed voodoo weapons. But no one wants to delve into the details of it. (or am I wrong?) Do you know what drug the Sandy killer (refuse to repeat his name) had in his system? Or was supposed to? (Not taking meds that is). Or the aurora shooter for that matter? We know all sorts of details about what guns, how many bullets, where people were hit etc. But not much else. When arguing about gun control with people, I think this angle needs to be pushed just as hard. After all, there are a lot of crazy mentally ill people that do a lot of harm but never touch a firearm. Fixing that could fix a lot more than just preventing the next mass shootings. (<- see, right there is a good point to make).

Right now there are a lot of people (non-gun owners) out there who, in the face of the senseless evil killing of innocent kids, have a deep seated, completely natural feeling to protect other children from the same fate.
And, based on what most of the media is reporting and what they are taught from TV shows and fantasy movies, guns are the problem. It is very easy for them to think "if only there were no assault weapons the tragedy might not have happened". It's there on TV. Easier to see and understand than an episode of Pawn Stars
(Again, you have to look at it from their perspective, not ours).

In summary, right now when mental health comes up in most (not all but most) media debates, it is given almost a passing nod of 30 seconds or so at the end of a 10 minute gun control debate. They control the direction of the debate. Not us. We are responding.
In my mind I'd like to see the mental health issue advanced until gun control advocates have to go out of their way to get attention for their causes, even turning the tables on them till they are defending themselves for proposing stupid laws when the REAL issue is fixing mental health, and could help so many more.

Give people a new target to focus. Give them something meaningful to “fix”. The President did mention that it would be something to talk about. Now hold him to his word!
It would be nice to push back. And not just keep defending the line.

Here’s the article that’s inspired my thinking on the subject:
http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/the-giant-gaping-hole-in-sandy-hook-reporting/

It’s 1am and way past my bedtime and I feel like I’m rambling. So I hope this makes sense to me (and you) to in the morning when I wake up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 2:23:54 PM EDT
Everyone should carry every chance they get.

It doesn't matter what we do, the media will lambast us.

We have to desensitize the sheep. The only way to do that is to make them see guns every day, and people who are responsible with them.

Anyone who posts that carrying isn't a good idea automatically makes me think they are paid shills that watch this site and post nonsense.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:14:40 PM EDT
Who would do such a thing!

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 3:38:48 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a red trainer and painting it black.. no lib would ever know the difference :)
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:07:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RockRiver4459:
Everyone should carry every chance they get.

It doesn't matter what we do, the media will lambast us.

We have to desensitize the sheep. The only way to do that is to make them see guns every day, and people who are responsible with them.

Anyone who posts that carrying isn't a good idea automatically makes me think they are paid shills that watch this site and post nonsense.

Yeah, it's a long game, being here since 2006 with over 2000 posts so I could bide my time until a mass shooting happened to tell you that you should argue with intelligence in support of the 2A instead of giving them fuel for the leftist media. My dastardly plan to persuade people to own 1911's with mere 8 round magazines and to vote Libertarian at the local level was all part of a plot to desensitize you to a mag ban and to disenfranchise you from the Republican Party. It was all finally coming to fruition until you outed me as a robo calling lefty 99%'er non gun owner whose end game was to try to get you to look like a reasonable adult to the rest of the world watching our protests.
Top Top