Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 5:58:56 PM EDT
Ok, how many of you put away your piece if you're drinking at home?  

Poll Coming
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagaroo
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Only when I hear "the voices"...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I would stop drinking if I couldnt handle having a gun on my hip while I was buzzed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you live in a really, really shit neighborhood...do you really need to carry at home?

Go ahead, call me a sheep.  Naive.  Whatever.

But it seems to me if you live in such a shit neighborhood that you constantly need to have a loaded firearm at arms reach all the times, I'd be scraping every dime I could to move into a better area.

That, or getting some counseling to alleviate the paranoia.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a yes or no answer here. "away" is relative as is "drinking." If I have 2 beers, I usually put the weapons or ammo/mags out of sight (throw it under a matress or in a closet, or something). More then 2, weapons get put out of sight and I don't touch unless I have a reason to. When I do, handling is even more carefull, instead of one or two racks of the action to clear its 4-5 and a long visual inspection. Generally don't dry fire at this many drinks so that isn't common. Worst thing I wan't to do is have an ND and try to explain I "only had a few drinks." 3 beers and the gun goes out of sight, not to be touched. If I'm drinking any more then that (hard liq.) it goes into the safe and I consider myself unable to retain the weapon safely or make rational decisions as to a threat that may arise. If at any time I catch myself not obeying all the saftey rules in the 1-3 beer area, I put them in the safe.

As for the nieghborhood deal; I live in a house that is ery high profile for the nieghboorhood. It's quiet around here and the house just sings of home invasion target. We've had one that I believed to be an attempt before I had any firearms, and I realised that we didn't have a single accessable weapon in the house. Two drunk illegals (weomen in their mid 20's and this was confirmed by an officer) were banging on the door at around 3am. Peeking at the front door, I could see both of them but not the other 2. They were screaming and sounding incoherent asking to be let in. After about 5 minutes we informed them via an intercom the police had been called. I never saw a vehicle in the driveway nor the 2 other males the police said they found in a car with them a few blocks from there. They were also considered suspects in a hit and run reported within 2 hours of this.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Unless you live in a really, really shit neighborhood...do you really need to carry at home?

But it seems to me if you live in such a shit neighborhood that you constantly need to have a loaded firearm at arms reach all the times, I'd be scraping every dime I could to move into a better area.

attacks, home invasions can happen in any neighborhood just cause you live in a nice neighborhood doesnt mean you have a magical shield...if anything your more likly to need it cause you have better shit to steal....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't drink alcoholic beverages.

I drink:  

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I dont finger fuck them, but they are around.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I do not drink alcohol so I never put my home defense tools away.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You can live in the best parts of the Country or the best part of your town.  Have you ever heard of a home invasion robbery?

Do you think they go to the poor peoples houses?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont drink anymore, so its not a problem.
When I did, I kept weapons out of hand if I knew I was going to be loaded.
Of course, its not like I couldnt just go get one.

Alcohol and weapons dont mix.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Hey, I thought everybody carried in Ky.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Your logic is backwards:  the reason I live in a good neighborhood is because everyone is armed.

Also, the more you carry, the more comfortable you get with carrying.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Me or the gun....only one can be loaded at any given time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Do you put away your piece if you're drinking at home?

No, If that was the case then I might as well sell my guns.

Being an old Irishman, I can drink and still function.

If it was an issue, my wife would have brought it up by now.

Grandpa is safe in any mode

GM
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh man, if I so much as see a beer commercial I lock up the guns right away.

Can't be too safe.

ETA: It's a post-911 world you know.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Assuming you aren't living in a shit neighborhood, don't have an unfortunate situation where a direct threat is made to yourself, or some unusual disruption in your area, carrying at all times in your domicile is paranoid and disturbing.

As in area 51/ hangar 18 paranoia.  Lemmings drinking the Kool-Aid.

As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that those that have a firearm at all times within arms reach while at home without such an imminent threat actually get some bizarre exhilaration out of carrying around their house.  Way beyond the occasional handing and appreciation of owning a nice firearm...but actually "get off" on it much in the same way a child wants to sleep with their new Christmas gift.

Let's put it this way.  When you leave your house and drive your car anywhere...do these apply?

Belted in by a nice five point racing harness?

Have a roll cage installed?

Wear a helmet while driving?

Ensure that your vehicle of choice have front and side airbags?

Do you ensure such protection is afforded to your passengers/family as well?

No?  I thought so.

Let's all lighten up, and try to be a bit less tactical.  Your demeanor will reflect much more positively upon the anti-gun crowd.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I just cannot imagine carrying a firearm around the house.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#21]
If you put up the gun how can you shoot at the empties?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Assuming you aren't living in a shit neighborhood, don't have an unfortunate situation where a direct threat is made to yourself, or some unusual disruption in your area, carrying at all times in your domicile is paranoid and disturbing.

As in area 51/ hangar 18 paranoia.  Lemmings drinking the Kool-Aid.

As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet that those that have a firearm at all times within arms reach while at home without such an imminent threat actually get some bizarre exhilaration out of carrying around their house.  Way beyond the occasional handing and appreciation of owning a nice firearm...but actually "get off" on it much in the same way a child wants to sleep with their new Christmas gift.

Let's put it this way.  When you leave your house and drive your car anywhere...do these apply?

Belted in by a nice five point racing harness?

Have a roll cage installed?

Wear a helmet while driving?

Ensure that your vehicle of choice have front and side airbags?

Do you ensure such protection is afforded to your passengers/family as well?

No?  I thought so.

Let's all lighten up, and try to be a bit less tactical.  Your demeanor will reflect much more positively upon the anti-gun crowd.

If i was to rob someone, it would be in a rich area, not a poor one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I usually don't carry a gun in the house, but have one ready to go if need be.  Since I got my permit I always carry when I go outside of the house.   If I'm inside there is a shotgun in the bedroom, and various (sks's) rifles and a few pistols in different hidden locations around the house.  

I've also got a puppy who will make a good deterrant one day.  He's ONLY 14 weeks and 47lbs right now, but will top out at 150 or so and 30+ at the shoulders.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Unless we're playing Russian Roullete.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Unless we're playing Russian Roullete.

Chuck Norris once played Russian Roullete with a full pistol......and WON!!!!

(Also, I heard that when the price of Gasoline started going up, Chuck began to reconsider his drinking habits.)  

wrong thread, i know
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I don't drink alcoholic beverages.

I drink: img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/Pepsi_WildCherry_Diet_2L.jpg  

mmmmm......

+

img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/Colt_SBR/57985sm.gif  

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I voted always drunk.

Does airsoft count?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Where is the "don't drink" option?he

I'm kind of new to the "tactical mindset", but I get the feeling some of you guys need to interact with human beings a little more.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I answered "yes", but I drink so rarely, & so little when I do, I usually just put it up high enough so if my son wakes up before me, he can't find or get to it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#30]
On the progressively more and more rare occasions that I'm drinking, I carry my gun as I normally do, but it does not get fingerfucked. I also limit my drinking. I now rarely have more than 2 beers, and I don't drink liquor.

Zippy, there are several reasons I carry around the house. One, for comfort: if my shoes are on, my gun is on me. I wear a gun so much that it produces no discomfort to carry it constantly, in fact, I feel more ill at ease without my gun on. A second reason is because of it's easy access. I live in a rural area where home invasions are extremely rare, but not unheard of, but animal attacks to me or my dog when I'm walking him are decidedly more common. How could I defend myself from an attacking dog if I didn't carry my gun, even in the front yard?

Zippy, I'm not paranoid by any means, but I can think of more reasons for me to carry my gun all the time than you can think of for me not to.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
On the progressively more and more rare occasions that I'm drinking, I carry my gun as I normally do, but it does not get fingerfucked. I also limit my drinking. I now rarely have more than 2 beers, and I don't drink liquor.

Zippy, there are several reasons I carry around the house. One, for comfort: if my shoes are on, my gun is on me. I wear a gun so much that it produces no discomfort to carry it constantly, in fact, I feel more ill at ease without my gun on. A second reason is because of it's easy access. I live in a rural area where home invasions are extremely rare, but not unheard of, but animal attacks to me or my dog when I'm walking him are decidedly more common. How could I defend myself from an attacking dog if I didn't carry my gun, even in the front yard?

Zippy, I'm not paranoid by any means, but I can think of more reasons for me to carry my gun all the time than you can think of for me not to.

+1

It stays in its holster.  But it's there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:36:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Where is the "don't drink" option?

As for in the house carry,  no.  Do you guys go outside with a lightning rod strapped to your head too?  Never know,  it's sunny outside but there is always that risk.

I'm kind of new to the "tactical mindset", but I get the feeling some of you guys need to interact with human beings a little more.

Ever heard of home invasion? If someone bashes in your front door, you won't have time to make it to the safe/closet/nightstand/etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#33]
No siree bob.... I figure I'm gonna need my gun most when I'm drunk because my fighing skills will be lacking due to the lack of coordination between my brain and my body. I'm not sure why that is, because I've seen all the Chuck Norris movies and he seems to do just fine.  

Seriously...
Rule #4: Alcohol and Guns DO NOT MIX.
Rule #5: Re-Read Rule #4

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#34]
I do sometimes, but only at home and I moderate/limit my drinking.  I won't touch or handle a gun when drinking, if I've been drinking while wearing one, I continue wearing it, in it's holster, and I don't mess with it at all, not even to put it away.  I've always had good judgement when I drink anyways, so my greater concern with getting drunk would be my loss of coordination and other physical effects.  The biggest effect of being drunk for me is not being able to walk straight,I don't get aggressive or do stupid things except laugh/joke around a lot (verbal stuff, not physical) and I'm told that i'm a good-natured drunk.  Not being able to walk straight isn't much fun, though, so I haven't gottten myself drunk in a couple of years.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top