Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 3:44:02 PM EDT
I will be hiking in Canada in a few weeks in their National Parks.  Does anyone know the laws regarding carrying a knife.  A folding knife could obviously be concealed in a pocket or backpack.  But can a non-folding knife be carried open, or would I need to put it in a backpack as well.  I have always carried a knife when hiking, as part of my emergency supplies (along with matches, compass, flashlight, etc.)  The knife is not to guard against bears, we carry bear-spray for that purpose.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Knife laws in Canada are very sketchy.  There is no length limit, regardless of all the rules of thumb people tell you regarding what is acceptable.  The things that are illegal are anything spring loaded, or that is designed to be opened with a flick of the wrist.  Things that resemble other objects but contain blades are also illegal.  

I would advise you not to carry a fixed bladed knife on your waist until you are actually hiking, hunting, etc.  Other than that, you should have no problems.  

Don't try to actually conceal anything.  A folding knife in the pocket is OK, but in your boot is probably not.  

Enjoy your visit!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Dominus, thanks for the info.  I thought that it would be ok to carry a fixed blade knife while hiking, but wanted to check.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top