Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2001 9:48:22 PM EDT
I ran the vin# of a car I'm thinking about buying, and it said it had 7 "entries" or something to that effect.

Is it worth the $ ?

Balming
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I used it once, and think I got my money's worth.  I guess it depends on what you are buying.  I had to fight with the DMV to register it, so it helped in that respect.

Problems Analyzed:
Results:
        Salvage/Junk Title   Checked - No Problem Found
        Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title Checked - No Problem Found
        Flood Damage Title Checked - No Problem Found
        Damage Disclosure Title Checked - No Problem Found
        Manufacturer Buyback Title (LEMON)  Checked - No Problem Found
        Exceeds Mechanical Limits Title  Checked - No Problem Found
        Not Actual Mileage Title  Checked - No Problem Found
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
YES it is well worth it
when my brother was buying a truck he check the VIN on it and found that it had been WRECKED after 2 years, sent to salvage, bought and 5 years later sent to oregon and a new owner, then sent to AZ and sold to the current owner who was trying to sell it. some young kid who knew it had been in an accident but didnt know how bad. my brother paid $50 to a mechanic to check the frame and structure of the truck to find the whole front had been re-done and the frame still had bad spots.

when $4500 is on the line, $25 for carfax is WELL WORTH IT
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:17:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I used it when buying my last truck (1999 F-150).
I thought it was worth the cost. I think it was $30 for 60 days or something like that.
I even ran a few VIN's for some friends and my brother also.
Not all ststes are required to keep records of when a car/truck is damaged/totaled/flood damaged so its not a definite thing if the car you are looking at came from one of these states. Not sure how you can find out which states these are.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 2:13:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes Carfax has specials and allow free querys.  Or find someone who has an account and have them run the #'s for you.  Maybe someone here has an account?

Link Posted: 8/21/2001 4:04:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top