Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2002 10:47:40 PM EDT
I got a 94 honda accord. I already changed the battery and spark plugs, still no luck. anyone have any idea what else could be wrong with it, feul pump, air filter ?.  also anyone in the charlotte area can tell me where to find a good mechanic. ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Distributor cap maybe?  Does the car seem to be getting any spark?
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
you think it might be the starter, because i was able to jump it yesterday, but it's not the battery because i got a new one, another possibility could be that the battery i got isn't charged. what ya think ?

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#3]
What makes you think it's the starter? Is it turning over? The fuel pump, air filter and spark plugs aren't going to affect whether the starter cranks the engine.
Describe in detail what happens when you turn the key. The more specific you are, the better chance someone can help you.
I don't know a thing about Hondas, but I'm assuming it's fuel injected. Any info on the car and engine would be helpful.
Auto or stick?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#4]
i don't know much about cars, but i DO NOT hear a click, if i hear a click then i guess that's a dead battery. it sounds like the engine is about to turn over but never does.

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Man I'm gonna piss someone off here but what the hell here goes nothing!! Buy another ""JAP""car and then you can say man I wish I had kept the $$$$ in the good Ol USA!!![marines]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:22:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Does Honda use individual coils, Did they?? If not cap and or rotor seems most likely. tough to diagnose with limited info, but thats my guess. Fuel delivery is another option, start with the filter if you go that route, cheapest forst.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:44:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to venture a guess, on the limited information provided, and say that your engine is not grounded, probably due to a broken or unattached ground strap. To test this theory, get your jumper cables attach one lead to the engine and another to the frame and try to start it. If it starts then that is your problem.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:52:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i don't know much about cars, but i DO NOT hear a click, if i hear a click then i guess that's a dead battery. it sounds like the engine is about to turn over but never does.

View Quote

Stop thinking about fuel pumps, coils and spark plugs.  You've got to get the motor cranking before it can start.  You replaced the battery with a new one?  Take it back where you got it & have the verify that it's good.  It's called a "load test", and only takes about 30 seconds to perform on the battery.  After that, reinstall it in the vehicle [b]but[/b] make sure the terminals & posts on the battery are clean first.  Try to start the car.  If the response is still "nothing", disconnect the positive lead to the starter (the big wire.)  Hook one end of a test light to the starter wire, touch the probe to the engine block (ground it.)  Have a friend hit the key.  If the test light lights up, you've got a bad starter.  If it doesn't, you've got a problem either with the ignition switch, ignition fuse (in the fuse block), the neutral/park safety switch or the starter solenoid (if it's seperate from the starter.)  

My bets are on either loose connections or a bad starter.

Good luck.

-kid
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I misread, thought you said the engine was not catching, but assumed it was turning. Good call a3. The neutral/park safety switch should give absolutely nothing. I had one go out a while back, and everything(accessories) worked fine with the ignition "on" but when I turned to "start" everything died, and I got nothing at all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Dude you need to learn the basics of what makes a car run.

when it breaks, you need to determine if the problem is lack of fuel, spark or air.

If you engine wont turn over, you lack all three.

Turn on the Headlights, and turn the key.  If they don't dim, the problem is the Starter cables, or most likely the starter solonoid.

you may need a new starter, but check the easy cheap stuff first.  good luck
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Stop thinking about fuel pumps, coils and spark plugs.  You've got to get the motor cranking before it can start.  You replaced the battery with a new one?  Take it back where you got it & have the verify that it's good.  It's called a "load test", and only takes about 30 seconds to perform on the battery.  After that, reinstall it in the vehicle [b]but[/b] make sure the terminals & posts on the battery are clean first.  Try to start the car.  If the response is still "nothing", disconnect the positive lead to the starter (the big wire.)  Hook one end of a test light to the starter wire, touch the probe to the engine block (ground it.)  Have a friend hit the key.  If the test light lights up, you've got a bad starter.  If it doesn't, you've got a problem either with the ignition switch, ignition fuse (in the fuse block), the neutral/park safety switch or the starter solenoid (if it's seperate from the starter.)  

My bets are on either loose connections or a bad starter.

Good luck.

-kid
View Quote

And if all of the above are good and the engine still won't spin, the most likely explanation is hydrostatic lock caused by a head gasket leak.

In that sad scenario there is usually a clear indication of oil in the coolant and/or coolant in the oil.

Brown pasty stuff or drops of liquid on the dipstick and oil filler cap are bad news.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I took it to a mechanic, he told me it was the electrical ignition. How much do they cost. ?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#14]
guess what i am also a honda mechanic, lucky day for you, you need to ask what part of the ignition is bad, but from my many years of experience i would guess that he is talking about an igniter, or more commonly known in the ole us of a, an ignition module, there are two kinds of them one will be brown in color, and the other is black, the brown ones are known for going kaput when it is not convienient, the first thing you need to do is check for spark, you crank while someone else looks for spark coming from one of the unplugged plug wires, if no spark, go to the distributor cap, you will need an 8mm nut driver, remove the cap, look for burn marks on the rotot, and look for burn marks where the coil meets the cap, it is very common for the coil to go bad, and fry the cap and coil, if the rotor, cap and coil look good, look under the rotor, you may have to remove the little plastic cover from under the rotor, look for the module, it is 1.5 in, by 1.5 inches, square, and has four wires, if it is brown, replace it, get it from the dealership, it is cheaper there, and the ones from autobone are made by wells, crap, let me know what you see, also wiggle the rotor button side to side, you are looking to see if the shaft inside of the distributor is loose, the bearings go bad inside of them and burn the whole unit out, and that is another of the common problems for the little honders
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
he's charging me $150 total, I don't know if that good or not.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Hope he didn't try to tell you it's the distriberator...

FITTER out [BD]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Working on cars is the same as working on anything with distinct systems.  It's like the human body... fuel, electrical, etc.  You have to put on your troubleshooter hat and start with the basics.  If it turns over at the right speed, the starter and battery are probably OK.  Then pull a spark plug and see if it's wet with fuel which could indicate no spark.  My point is that it could be a myriad of things from fuel pump to electronic ignition.  If you don't have the tools or knowledge to correct the problem, about the only choice you have is to take it to a mechanic that you can trust to fix the problem.  Word of mouth is usually the best way to find a reliable mechanic rather than picking at random from the phonebook.  

Hope this helps and good luck.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I just picked him out of the phone book, I don't know if he's charging me too much or not.
how much does the electric ignition cost .?

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top