Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 2:58:39 PM EDT
Friend got hit or hit something while driving a rented Enterprise owned Nissan Altima. Asked me about the damage estimate

She says there's a 1.5" square chunk out of the bumper, plus a scratch, and the grill is slightly askew.  Enterprise says $562 to fix.   Bumper cover is 200, grill is 100, body labor is 30/hour, paint labor is 30/hour, paint supplies 18/hour.   They say they need to replace the bumper, paint it, and replace the grill.

It sounds about right to me, but I figured I'd ask the car guys around here. Since I ain't a car guy.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
without pics, hard to tell. sounds resonable with the numbers though...maybeeven on the low side.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a steal, at 30 an hour- although I've never heard of paint being charged by the hour.

Seth
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Price sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Lesson: Rental Cars - PAY the $2-3 / day for THEIR insurance. Anything happens to the vehicle, you hand them the key and say 'Next!'
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds good...who's insurance is paying? ..and was the shop a referral from someone involved?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
She says there's a 1.5" square chunk out of the bumper, plus a scratch, and the grill is slightly askew.  Enterprise says $562 to fix.

But, yes, that sounds about right (even fairly good). We wrecked a 2001 Altima... it had to be totalled, though. Shame, was a damn good car. Saved my life.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
In fact, I found a picture of the car at the shop (this is when they totalled it).

The frame was FUBAR'd. The front axle was shifted about 3 inches to the right, so no way we were going to get that fixed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Sturm, did you roll the car?  How did the roof get buckled?  Wow that must of hurt!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Insurance isn't $2-$3 a day, it's a little more.  Caveat emptor

Collision Damage Waiver (CDW).
Sometimes called a Loss Damage Waiver (LDW), this coverage relieves you of financial responsibility if your rental car is damaged or stolen. The CDW may be void, however, if you cause an accident by speeding, driving on unpaved roads or driving while intoxicated. This coverage generally costs between $9 and $19 a day.  If you have comprehensive and collision on your own car, you may not need to purchase this coverage.

Liability Insurance.
This provides excess liability coverage of up to $1 million for the time you rent a car.   Rental companies are required by law to provide the minimum level of liability insurance required by your state. Generally, this does not offer enough protection in a serious accident.  If you have adequate liability coverage on your car or an umbrella policy on your home/auto, you may consider forgoing this additional insurance.  It generally costs about $7 to $9 a day. If you don't own a car, and rent cars often, consider purchasing a non-owner liability policy.  This costs approximately $200 - $300 per year.  Frequent car renters sometimes find this more cost-effective than constantly paying for the extra liability coverage.

Personal Accident Insurance.
This provides coverage to you and your passengers for medical/ambulance bills.  This type of insurance, usually costs about $3 per day, but may be unnecessary if you are covered by health insurance or have adequate medical coverage under your auto policy.

Personal Effects Coverage.
This provides coverage for the theft of personal items in your car.  However, if you have homeowners or renters insurance, you may be covered for items stolen from the car, minus your deductible.  You need to have receipts or other proof of ownership. This type of insurance usually costs about $1.25 per day.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sturm, did you roll the car?  How did the roof get buckled?  Wow that must of hurt!

Yes, we did roll the car (just once, but that was one time too many. We landed upright, thank god.).

That roof buckling... that was probably when the other side of the roof hit the ground during the roll. Also, I was getting tossed around in the backseat (no, I didn't have my seatbelt on).

Some asshat in a pick-up must've fell asleep at the wheel, he came into our lane. My father, who was driving, swivered and lost control of the car. We went from our lane into the grass and hit a ditch. Then, we went airborne and did a roll. We were facing in the opposite direction, upright, once all was over.

Accident was VERY quick. I remember thinking to myself "This is not good. I am going to get hurt." Then it was over.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Did the pickup truck stop at the accident scene or near hit and run?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Did the pickup truck stop at the accident scene or near hit and run?

Nope. He almost killed 3 people and just kept on driving. He was never caught.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top