Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2002 5:59:01 AM EDT
[url]http://www.nasdaq.com/asp/quotes_news.asp?textpath=\\News2\news_www\Nasdaq\news\35\2002\08\12\200208120602DOWJONESDJONLINE000229.html[/url]

"HANOI (AP)--A Vietnam War-era bomb exploded, killing one person and wounding six others, including four children, in northern Vietnam, police said Monday.
Nguyen Van Hung, 32, was killed instantly in Friday's explosion, said Hoang Van My, police chief of Anh Dung village in the port city of Haiphong, 105 kilometers east of Hanoi.

[b][i]Hung and two of the injured had found the small bomb in a ditch. Hung cleaned the bomb and was tossing it in the air to frighten nearby children when he failed to catch it and it exploded, My said. [/b][/i]

Haiphong was heavily bombed by American planes during the Vietnam War.

Scores of people are killed or maimed each year by explosions of ordnance left over from the war which ended in 1975."

[grenade] Clearly, he was influenced by this Icon.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The implication was that it was a US dropped bomb.  What sort of bomb might that be?  Did we drop cluster munitions at that time?  That's about the only thing I can think of that someone could pick up and "toss in the air." Other than that I'd have to suspect a dud NVA AAA shell or mortar round.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#2]
good point iceman! can't imagine he was tossing around a 250 pounder.

at any rate, weird isn't it, years later and we're still kicking their asses! (if in fact the bomb was american).
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Darwinism at it's best!

"Here, hold my Foster's Da Nang beer and watch this."

Thank God none of the kids were killed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 6:50:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Hung REALLY dropped the ball on this one. [;D]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Darwinism at it's best!
View Quote

[url]http://www.darwinawards.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"Here, hold my Foster's Da Nang beer and watch this."
View Quote

Didn't know there are rednecks in Vietnam. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Was Hung trying to throw a long bomb into the end zone or something?
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I once read about some teens in hattiesburg, MS, who found a small caliber artillery shell on some sort of military firing range they had snuck onto (Camp Shelby).  Later, they were tossing the shell around like a FOOTBALL. It hit a parked car and exploded, killing one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top