Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/5/2002 6:07:15 AM EST
I've got a C&R and was on [url]http://subguns.com[/url] and noticed a lot of C&R NFA items for sale (S&W 76, British ANM2, etc...). What is the process if I want to buy one of these? [b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 9:05:20 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:21:28 AM EST
As Chuck posted, you still have to pay the transfer tax - which means you have to go through the process of getting a CLEO signoff, and send in a Form 4 with fingerprints and photos, and that all important $200 check. The only difference with a C&R machinegun is that you can receive the weapon directly, even from out of state, without having to have it transferred to an in-state Class 3 dealer, and you don't need to fill out a 4473 (yellow sheet) when you pick it up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 10:38:20 AM EST
So...Let me see if I got this right, if I want to purchase a C&R NFA item; 1) I send the seller the $$$ 2) Fill out the required paperwork & signatures and pay the tax 3) Then receive it in the mail That sounds easy enough. Now,...I only have to get the $$$$ and I'll be set! Thanks guys. [b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 1/5/2002 1:39:04 PM EST
Yes, but you forgot the obligatory 4-6 month wait. The seller will fill out their section of the Form 4 and send it to you. You'll fill out your section (there's a place for your C&R FFL license number), and take it to your CLEO with pics and prints. CLEO signs, you stuff it in the mail with $200 check (address to send it to is on the form). After a long wait, the approved Form 4 with stamp goes to the seller, who ships it all out to you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 10:37:00 AM EST
Thanks for all the info so far everyone but one last question. Do I get "proof" of the "legality" of the weapon? Do I actually get a stamp or some other form of paperwork so I can actually take it out to shoot and prove it is legit? [b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 12:38:29 PM EST
Yes. Before you get the weapon an approved form 4 with "tax stamp" is sent to seller. He must provide the original of that form to you with the weapon. That approved form 4 is your "proof" that you can possess the gun. Store original in safe deposit box as BATF looses THEIR record rather often! Keep copy of form with weapon at ALL times. Make a credit card sized copy, laminate and place in your wallet. No machine gun purchase requires a 4473 as FBI has already run your background - that is purpose of fingerprint cards.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 4:44:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/6/2002 4:48:19 PM EST by drfcolt]
[b]No machine gun purchase requires a 4473 as FBI has already run your background - that is purpose of fingerprint cards.[/b] It is required in PA, just don't have to call in for a check. Just fill out the form. There is a question on the back (Item #14) that asks if this is an NFA weapon or not. Had to fill one out for all 6 of my NFA purchases (MG's and silencers). May be a state-by-state thing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 7:24:16 PM EST
No 4473 is required for transferring a C&R eligible weapon to a C&R licensee. No background check is required for transferring an NFA firearm, but the 4473 must still be filled out for a non-licensee in any state.
Top Top