Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 2:42:33 PM EDT
I will soon have to take the step-daughter on a flight.
This will be her first and having a mild case of anxiety, I thought it would be good
if she could take her new Gameboy on the flight with her to keep her occupied.
Is this allowed or will the airline think that this device is some sort of weapon and
not allow it?

Oh yeah,  headphones will definately be in use.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#1]

She won't be allowed to use it during take-off and landing, but otherwise she'll be fine.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
What DK-Prof said
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
She won't be allowed to use it during take-off and landing, but otherwise she'll be fine.  

It's hard for me to believe that 0-signal output devices can wreak havoc on airplane NAV systems. If such things can disrupt plane instruments Boeing may want to consider not having their electronics manufactured in Guam or some such place.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's hard for me to believe that 0-signal output devices can wreak havoc on airplane NAV systems.

I agree 100%, but I suppose it's easier for them to just tell everyone to turn everything off, rather than trying to specify what electronics are okay and what aren't.

Either way; their airplane, their rules - so I just shut up and do as I'm told
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This will be her first and having a mild case of anxiety, I thought it would be good
Is this allowed or will the airline think that this device is some sort of weapon and
not allow it?

Speaking of headphones - if I'm on a long flight, I'll sometimes bring my laptop (with an extra battery, or try to get a seat close to an electical outlet) and then just watch a movie on my laptop.

Maybe that's an option too?  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Edit - Drrrrrrr
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's hard for me to believe that 0-signal output devices can wreak havoc on airplane NAV systems. If such things can disrupt plane instruments Boeing may want to consider not having their electronics manufactured in Guam or some such place.

I agree with you but...

Can-O-Worms. (Go fact check this, I'm probably wrong in someway)

The gameboy is designed to not cause EM interference, but that does mean it was assembled perfectly, or that it wasn't dropped and after assembly and now it does transmit or leak a small signal.  

Also (some,most) older aircraft designed and/or built before the 'portable electronics' age never shielded their avionics from internal EM interferance, nore is the MFG required to update the design to make it so.

That or doesn't affect the avionics per-say but it screws up the VOR/DME signals.  They should stay below 18000, VFR the flight, and use dead reckoning and the natural terrain.

Last because know one really knows ,the FAA gives the crew wide leave on their authority to make you turn those things off and some crews are as educated as some cops are on guns... or so this place likes to complain.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Tell the daughter to leave the baggie pants loser at home. I can't belive that a AR15.com er would allow his daughter to take the puke with them on a trip. Oh and tell her to find a nice boy who plays with chemistry sets. Giving her a "game boy" you should be ashamed. Whats next a "pool boy"
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:42:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks, I fly about once a year so, I'm not a frequent flyer by any stretch of the imagination.
I remember them coming around and anouncing to turn off your personal electronics during take off and landing but, I wasn't sure about the rest of the flight.  

Good idea about the laptop too.  We have a little portable DVD player that might come in handy.
I just want to have a decent flight and not annoy the other passengers.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Tell the daughter to leave the baggie pants loser at home. I can't belive that a AR15.com er would allow his daughter to take the puke with them on a trip. Oh and tell her to find a nice boy who plays with chemistry sets. Giving her a "game boy" you should be ashamed. Whats next a "pool boy"

I was going to give her a "boy toy advanced" for Christmas but, her mother got all crazy and stuff so I had to settle on the "game boy."
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Can I take GPS device on an airplane I have always wondered how fast I was going when flying.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I have used my laptop during takeoff and they didnt care. Its cellphones they care about....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Can I take GPS device on an airplane I have always wondered how fast I was going when flying.

Most airlines won't allow them*.  I got a handheld back in 1996 or so, and I did a few times back then.  But if you're not sitting by the window, it probably won't get satellite strength.

Also, some airlines have individua tv screen for each passenger, and you can go to a channel that shows the flight route and it gives an altitude and groundspeed.  

*I don't agree with their rationalization, as they are passive receivers.  But, oh well.  I'd check their website, and if you can't find the answer, call them up.  Also, in the back of their magazine that they put in each seat, it has a list of electronic devices prohobited from use during flight.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:11:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most airlines won't allow them*.  I got a handheld back in 1996 or so, and I did a few times back then.  But if you're not sitting by the window, it probably won't get satellite strength.

Also, some airlines have individua tv screen for each passenger, and you can go to a channel that shows the flight route and it gives an altitude and groundspeed.  

*I don't agree with their rationalization, as they are passive receivers.  But, oh well.  I'd check their website, and if you can't find the answer, call them up.  Also, in the back of their magazine that they put in each seat, it has a list of electronic devices prohobited from use during flight.

I use mine all the time and on various airlines. Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#17]
They have done tests which they bombarded commercial jetswith all sorts of frequencies. The results showed it had little to no impact on the jet. All the important signal carrying wires are sheilded anyway.

However, on smaller personal planes cell phones HAVE disrupted instruments. That does not nessarily crash a plane. Most personal aircraft can fly fine with a complete electrical failure.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's some stuff I looked up on "electronic devices" on each of these airlines' websites.

GPS is good to go (specifically stated) on these airlines:
Delta - Acceptable
www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/inflight_services/connectivity/personal_electronic_devices/index.jsp#top

Southwest - Acceptable
www.southwest.com/travel_center/electronics.html

GPS is specifically prohibited on:
American Airlines - Prohibited
www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/duringFlight/onboardTechnology.jhtml

And on these two airlines, it wasn't mentioned whether it was good or not:
United -  Not Listed
www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,1036,00.html

Frontier - Not Listed
www.frontierairlines.com/faq/index.asp#EO
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
They have done tests which they bombarded commercial jetswith all sorts of frequencies. The results showed it had little to no impact on the jet. All the important signal carrying wires are sheilded anyway.

However, on smaller personal planes cell phones HAVE disrupted instruments. That does not nessarily crash a plane. Most personal aircraft can fly fine with a complete electrical failure.

-Foxxz

Please cite your reference for these tests.  I'm not saying your wrong, but the possibility exists that electronic devices can interfere with navigation equipment (hinder/jam/distort reception).  

During periods of bad weather (low ceilings and/or visibility), jets awaiting departure have to hold short further from the runway than normal (ILS critical area) to eliminate any chance of interference to aircraft on approach.

Unless testing has been done and your personal electronic device has been deemed safe to use, you don't need to use it.  Are your personal needs so great that you can't go without your electronic device for a few hours?  

The airlines are always working hard to reduce any risks where possible.   And this happens to be one of those areas.  Why allow even the slightest chance to interfere with safe operations?  I'm not an expert on aviation safety, nor do I claim to be, however I do know that anyone in the aviation industry should always be concerned with safety and we are always eliminating risks when possible.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:22:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

or any other electronic devices for that matter
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

or any other electronic devices for that matter

I do, and no one seems to care...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I took a GPS device on a flight with me to New York.  I asked the stewardess if we could use it, and she said sure, no problem.  It didn't work too well, even though we placed it by the window.

I bought my little Delorme USB powered GPS and hooked it up to my laptop. The GPS was held in place by the window shade and I had a good signal for about 90% of the trip. Kinda neat to see the little dot zipping along on Street Atlas USA and seeing the speed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I do, and no one seems to care...

I'm a big pussy, so I wait until the stewardess belts into the jump seat before turning my iPod on.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
not allow it?

It's not a problem. Make sure you have batteries as the security personnel may ask you to turn it on.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

Please cite your reference for these tests.  I'm not saying your wrong, but the possibility exists that electronic devices can interfere with navigation equipment (hinder/jam/distort reception).  

During periods of bad weather (low ceilings and/or visibility), jets awaiting departure have to hold short further from the runway than normal (ILS critical area) to eliminate any chance of interference to aircraft on approach.

Unless testing has been done and your personal electronic device has been deemed safe to use, you don't need to use it.  Are your personal needs so great that you can't go without your electronic device for a few hours?  

The airlines are always working hard to reduce any risks where possible.   And this happens to be one of those areas.  Why allow even the slightest chance to interfere with safe operations?  I'm not an expert on aviation safety, nor do I claim to be, however I do know that anyone in the aviation industry should always be concerned with safety and we are always eliminating risks when possible.

I looked for the study but it was like 2 years ago. The cell carries argree with the airlines for 2 reasons. First, your cell phone can associate with many base stations which ties up the base tower capacity. Also, when you are moving so fast and associated with many base stations their software has difficulty tracking and billing you. Also, those airfone calls are big money for the airliner. It makes alot of business sense anyway.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I took a GPS device on a flight with me to New York.  I asked the stewardess if we could use it, and she said sure, no problem.  It didn't work too well, even though we placed it by the window.

I used mine on the way to europe.  I had to hold it to the window to get signal.(this was in a 747 on the LL so YMMV)  It was kinda handy because they didn't turn on the inflight gps screen untill we were on approach,  so I knew exactly where we were, how fast, how high, and how far away, what was directly below us etc.. when everyone else didnt.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#27]
just dont bring fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top