Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2001 5:43:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 5:55:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep. Desert Shield ramped up while I was in MCT in 1990. We thought they were going to march us onto a C141 and just fly us over there.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
[img]http://www.inetnow.net/~kudzukid/enlemblem.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Recently I convinced a good friend of mine, who was needing some direction in his life, that the Marines may be for him. A fellow Oklahoma City Police Officer stopped him a few days later, while he was walking around the block in his neighborhood, and also mentioned that the Marines may be for him. Anyway, to make a long story short, he leaves Monday of next week. Man, I can only imagine what's going through his mind.

I've never been a Marine, or in any service for that matter, but I have the upmost respect for them. My Grandmother gave me all of my Grandfathers medals from when he fought in WWII and Korea.

Ian [<]:)]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 6:00:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I got my MOLLE gear all packed up and ready to go.

"I want to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill."

Semper Fidelis, See you on my flanks...
Cpl. Van WIe
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I imagine that the instructors for ALL the services are ramming this home, especially the Army and Marine Corp. the level of intensity in the training has probably gone WAY up, and rightly so. The harder they are trained can only mean that more will come home safe, and THAT is what a Drill Sergeant/Instructor is for.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I was at MCRD in 1987 and the USS Stark was hit by two Exocet missiles.  Once exploded and the other was a dud.  As you know we weren't allowed to have news papers, but our Senior brought in a newspaper and showed us the headline.  Something like "America calls for war".  They told us to learn everything we could because they weren't sending us to Infantry school (SOI), but straight to combat after bootcamp.

We really thought we were going.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I enlisted in Feb of 91.. wanted to go grunt!!!
But then I got some sense talked into me and became an aircraft mech!!!
The MOLLE gear came out about 2 years ago, and it is TRASH. If a buckle breaks, the whole pack is usless.
ALICE is the way to go. A few years ago, they started issuing LBV's. I stuck with the Y-harness and warbelt combo.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I was in boot camp in the summer of 1998 when bin Laden bombed the embassies. Our series officer, Capt. Buie (sp?), told us we could jolly well prepare for war.

Now I think I'll get my happy @ss down to the recruiting station and start PTing with them again. Good thing I've been practicing with my rifle a lot....
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Well if there is and I am sure there will be it will be swift and bloody.  No mercy......[frag]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I was at MCRD San Diego in 87, and we got newspapers every Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Happy:  In 1985 each squad leader was "asked" to purchase a paper on Sunday by the Drill Instructor.  Unfortunately, you'd better read quick, as each recruit was given one sheet, and had to get busy using it to clean the glass in the squadbay!  Field day was soooooo much fun.  Heck, right now, I'm even having fond memories of "snaking the deck" with a towel, and using another recruit as a swab handle!

Semper Fi!

Ken Little
View Quote

submarine races across the squadbay floors under the racks...towels in hand... ahh, the memories.

1986-1990 Ground Radio Repairman MOS 2841
Reached CPL before I got out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top