Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2008 7:01:36 PM EDT
I always wondered if wire guided missles would cut up infantry if they get hit by the wires while the missle is in flight.  I have fired the Dragon on a range and the missle wires don't seem strong enough to slice up personnel while the missle was in flight though I am sure it would fuck up the missles flight.  Asked many folks while in the Army and never got a straight answer.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how they would get "hit" by the wires.  TOW wire is finer than hair, never could understand how that stuff did not break in-flight.  You would probably have other worries if you were close enough to worry about the wires.

Maybe if it was draped across something, and a lot of it, but other wise it just plays out behind the missile.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
To get 'hit' by the wire. you'd sustain a near miss from a supersonic missile. At the very least you'd experience a loss of bowel control.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Those wires are gossamer thin.

I don't think they would cause injury.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Wire is LAID by the rocket.  It doesn't move.

The only danger is to the launcher if it contacts high voltage power lines.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not sure how they would get "hit" by the wires.  TOW wire is finer than hair, never could understand how that stuff did not break in-flight.  You would probably have other worries if you were close enough to worry about the wires.

Maybe if it was draped across something, and a lot of it, but other wise it just plays out behind the missile.
I was think about if the missle was traced back and forth across a field and it hit a bunch of guys would they not feal it at all?  By far there are other much better options to dealing with infantry this is not a tactical thread more of a what would happen kind of thing?

Basically more interested in if the wires hit a man would he even feel the impact of the wires.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

correct, the wire falls out and lays on the ground stationary, it doesn't get pulled along. That would imposed severe drag on the rocket.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
To get 'hit' by the wire. you'd sustain a near miss from a supersonic missile. At the very least you'd experience a loss of bowel control.

Yeah, I'm thinkin' that durring the flight-time of the missile you'de still be experiencing an "Oh SHIT! What was THAT!" (IE...hit the ground!) moment.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I was thinking would a man feel it if said man was hit by the wire while the missle is in flight.

Never mind question was answered before I posted.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was thinking would a man feel it if said man was hit by the wire while the missle is in flight.

Never mind question was answered before I posted.

Zero.  I would be a hair-fine wire just falling out of the sky.  It's not whizzing across the landscape like a weed-whacker string.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Pretty sure it never breaks SoS.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Little Vid of TOW launch.
TOW Launch
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Now if you were swimming and a MK48 swam by.....

Even that fucker has something like 10 miles of wire on the weapon and another 10 miles that stay with the boat...

May be a problem in the water...  ?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
this is even more impressive, i love the sound

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8394163870514236029&vt=lf&hl=en
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I know the Israeli's found out the hard way that TOW missiles fly in funny directions when you shoot them over the Suez canal and the wires touch water ;)
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
this is even more impressive, i love the sound

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8394163870514236029&vt=lf&hl=en

Oh yeah, I never get tired of that one. The other one, if you look close enough has a pretty good depiction of the wire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top