Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 7:28:06 AM EDT
What's up with all the problems with their government?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
According to a buddy of mine (don't understand it all, but maybe it'll shed a light on things) who lives in Canada:

They are voting on the budget today - if they are confident in it.  If not the minority party (conservative party) can force an election and try to regain power.   Something along this lines anyway.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The Liberal Party has been in power for a long time.  That means interests who need its influence have lobbied them the hardest.  And they've swayed them successfully with corruption.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#3]
The ruling party got caught in a huge corruption scandal--they were giving government contracts to companies for doing nothing, and the companies would kick back millions to the party and its cronies.

In the parliamentary  system the government disolves and a new election is held if the ruling party or coalition can't maintain a majority vote on certain bills. The out party is trying to get a no-confidence vote and force an election.

The ruling Liberal party is doing everything it can to prevent that, including breaking traditions. They delayed the no-confidence vote to this week in hopes that two Conservative party members who have cancer might be forced to be absent for the vote due to death or medical reasons. And a couple days ago they bought off a wobbly Conservative member by offering her a juicy minister position, inducing her to change parties.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Conservatives in Canada?  Who'd have thought.   We should offer a trade.  2 American Liberals for one Conservative Canadian.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:41:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Google "Sponsorship Scandal."

When I was in Montreal last month it was all that was on the news. I expect the same when I go to Calgary in two weeks.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#6]
They don't even have hockey anymore?  I'm beginning to think they suck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top