Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2008 2:46:51 PM EDT
Say I take my weekly paycheck into my bank. Check averages $1700.

How come when I deposit it in checking it will deposit only $1000 dollars that day. 3 business days later the other $500 will go in, then 5 business days later $200 will go in.

BUT, if i want to cash the entire check, and deposit all $1700 into checking, its all ok?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#1]
never heard of such a thing...  

what does the bank have to say?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Stupid check hold regulations, possibly being misapplied by your bank.

I have been out of retail banking since 1990.  At the time I left (as a Systems Analyst), they could not hold any of a "good business check" (which includes payroll in general) if your account was over a year old.

I'm sure things have changed since then, maybe several times.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Your bank rep. could probably answer that better than anyone here could.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I put one in a few weeks ago for way over that. You need a new bank.
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
<---InfoSec guy for a bank.

Sounds like your banks policies for availability of deposited funds.  You should be able to get clarification from any personal banker or even teller at a branch as to why x% is only available after y days, as well as if the hold period is changed after z months of account inception.

It all varies from bank to bank.  If you don't like their policy, head to a new one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top