Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2005 11:38:11 AM EDT
I just bought it off ebay for relatively cheap to add to my collection of vests and gear and was wondering if anyone knows what model etc it may be? The guy says it is a Point Blank vest and that was basically it. ANy info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
nothing? cmon fellas.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe take detailed photos and send them to the manufacturer for identification.

ETA: Take it to a dealer for such things and see if they can recognize the model/style.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]
thats actually the pic he took for ebay. it seems to have some kinda modular pistol holster and some pouches on it. i looked through the site and cant place it completely.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey that's one of those new G-Unit fake bulletproof vest I've been trying so hard to find!!

Fitty.....is da shizzle ya'll, what will he come up with next!!

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks like it's NOT the one we shot full holes with various .458 SOCOM rounds.

It might help to know what it is not.  

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I got it today and must say that it lightly used and appears to be kinda dusty but really unworn to any large extent. It is really really thick and feel likes IIIa if i didnt know better. Whoever owned it before must have removed the tags inside for some reason. It only has the point blank tag with the size stamped on it. It looks sort of like their Recon vest but it isnt. The pouches on the front are unmovable and arent held on my any webbing. Its definitely a SWAT cop vest with ammo and radio pouches with cuff etc etc. ANybody got any ideas?

ETA: just emailed Point Blank.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Well Point Blank is hopefully busy making vests for our troops because they sure arent answering emails. Anyone got any other ideas? I need to figure out what the rating is on this one. Once again a really careful check tell me that there are no labels other then th eone saying point blank with the size stamped on it. The panels are sewn in whih i find kind of odd.

Mods if you want to send this one over to the gear forum please do???
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#9]
top,anyone on the night crew can help me out?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#10]
This thing works great for taking a spill out in the frozen field while walking my dog. With all the titanium in my back i gotta be careful and i ate shit earlier when the dog yanked at his lead and it saved my spine real good...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Could be a custom jobbie.  There are companies out there that will build a custom vest to the buyers specs using a factory vest as a base.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Well does anyone know if thickness of material is convertable into how effectivelt this thing will stop rounds? I am fairly sure it is the Point Blank recon vest which i believe is 3A or so. I am really considering cutting the carrier up to see whats inside protection wise. I am also really annoyed at Point Blanks shitty customer service. In the gun/weapons etc world it seems we can only go either way with customer service... Horrrible shitty service that is almost 3rd world style and then the complete other end of the spectrum which is incredible service with free gifts and fast shipping etc etc. I seem to get the first one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well does anyone know if thickness of material is convertable into how effectivelt this thing will stop rounds? I am fairly sure it is the Point Blank recon vest which i believe is 3A or so. I am really considering cutting the carrier up to see whats inside protection wise. I am also really annoyed at Point Blanks shitty customer service. In the gun/weapons etc world it seems we can only go either way with customer service... Horrrible shitty service that is almost 3rd world style and then the complete other end of the spectrum which is incredible service with free gifts and fast shipping etc etc. I seem to get the first one.

Can't go from thickness, gotta count layers:

Level II-A is 16+ layers of Kevlar; Level II is 22+ layers; Level III-A
is 30+ layers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#14]
hmm without cutting open the carrier im going to say it is about 1 in or more in thickness and very very rigid. i have a couple soft armor vests and they are maybe a half inch and level 2,this things GOT to be a level 3 at least.now i need some plates and a sewing kit to make panels
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#15]
My bet is the reason the tags were torn off is that it is beyond its 5 year lifespan. The material breaks down over time and most body armor companies only guarantee the vests to perform for 5 years. We have our vests replaced every 5 years. I have several expired ones, I would never think of selling them to someone who expected to wear them for protection.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Kevlar doesn't really break down.  The newer fabrics like Spectra might and Zylon definately does.  Some reasons for the 5 year warrenty.  First, they want you to buy new vests otherwise they don't get more money, and infact lose some with repairs.  Second, if the vest isn't properly cared for the effectiveness can be reduced, exposure to chemicals, sunlight, bleach etc. The carrier, and inserts can have their covering material worn or damaged exposing the Kevlar to damage itself.  It can fray if edges are exposed. And new materials are coming out that can increase protection or reduce weight.  Well the last hasn't really happened in a while.  Not really anything better than the 4th generation Kevlar 129.  Twaron is also good as it is almost the same thing as Kevlar but made by a different manufacturer.  Spectra seems to be a good product too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I dont see this as being more then a year or two old. It looks like it was tossed around a bit but its showing none of the normal wear patterns that vests get. (no jelly donut or coffee stains) also no sweat marks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top