Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 4:59:34 PM EDT
http://www.mikenew.com/index.shtml

I hope this isnt a dupe, I havent heard anything about it.
there is no cut and paste aval. on the website,
so go and take a gander...

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't the UN take control of our boys sometimes? So, yes, they can be apparently.

ETA: Not that I approve of it or anything.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes he can be ordered to serve under foreign command… nothing really new about this practice it dates back to at least WWI. US troops have been under British, French, Australian, Canadian, UN, ect., ect, ect, command on and off for nearly 100 years.

You are not allowed to pick and choose if you do not want to follow lawful orders do not join.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy shit... I havent heard Michael New's name since I was stationed in Europe.  The guys in his unit thought he was a dumbass and was just trying to get out of the deployment.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I, ___________________________________, do solemly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

The president simply orders you to follow orders from whoever he appoints. that would be consistent with the above quote.

That being said, I would NEVER wear the blue helmet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember when I asked about him.  The story got me interested when someone sent me a video about himi and his "Struggle".  The first words out of thier mouthes were "that motherfucker?"
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]
It happened all the time with American sailors.  The Brits during their war with France, attacked American ships and took the sailors and forced them into service.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Mike New=hero

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#10]
when i enlisted i told my dad shortly before he gave me the oath that if i was ever ordered to wear a blue helmet that i'd go to the brig. he said "good son"

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Some years ago a NCO in the Army was busted out because he refused to serve under the UN, so YES
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Some years ago a NCO in the Army was busted out because he refused to serve under the UN, so YES

- Only guy I recall being popped for that in recent years was New.  If I remember correctly, he was only an e4 though.  He worked as a medic in 1/18 INF which is a part of 1ID.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Didnt know he was a medic but did vaguely remember the story
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Mike New=hero Dumbshit 1/C

Fixed it for you.

When you enlist you swear to obey the orders of the President and the officers appointed under him. (And not to be too pushy it don't say LEGAL it says ALL, but I digress) and if that means serving under a foreign command or commanders you do it.  As noted, this has occured just about forever in the history of the US.  It is not a new phenomena. So if you decide to disobey a legal order, you better have your ducks in a row.  Just some halfbaked ill-advised wet dream about the UN is not going to cut it.

As far as those that think the dreaded Blue Helmet is some kind of anathema, you do realize that all the US Forces in Korea and all the US Forces in theatre in Gulf War I are or were UN Forces in addition to being US Forces?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I, ___________________________________, do solemly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

The president simply orders you to follow orders from whoever he appoints. that would be consistent with the above quote.

Does that include NATO officers?

And don't forget about NORAD.  There are Canadian officers in that command.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#16]
And to continue what PaDanby said, remember from World War II the First Special Service Force, i.e. The Devils Brigade.  They were half American, half Canadian.  American’s took orders from Canadian’s, and visa versa.

And what about Iraq?
What would happen over there if sometime when, say, a platoon of US Marines, due to some event or another, had to go under the command of some British Marine officers? Say some Brit Officers knew where something was, but there were no Brit Marines about, but there were some American Marines lying about?  If it was time critical there should be no problem.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:57:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are asking if I personally would accept orders from a NATO commander the answer would be yes if the president ordered it. As far as the UN? I cant stand one single thing about that organization and despise it with every bone in my body. I would spit in the face of Kofi Annan if I had the chance.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Welcome to last year!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:40:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Dude what are talking about? This post is so 1997.  Any asswipe who would try some bullshit trying to say they wont serve under the UN is a fucking moron. You're just asking for trouble. Now for all you black helicopter and tin foil guys whom Im sure havent served, its not worth pulling some shit like New did. A good chunk of military guys are career men and family men. Do you think they want to piss away their lives and careers over some bullshit like a blue helmet? They follow orders, even if they don't like them. I do it everyday when my Captain tells me what to do. Now that said, if I was ordered on a UN mission, oh well, it looks like Im getting a gay blue helmet cover and another snappy beret to wear and Im going to another shit pot location.  However, if I was ordered to go out and collect weapons from my fellow Americans, that would be the day when I'd become a criminal.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A good chunk of military guys are career men and family men. Do you think they want to piss away their lives and careers over some bullshit like a blue helmet?

You have lost all respect.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you and may posterity forget that ye were once our countrymen."
 --  Samuel Adams
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:51:44 AM EDT
[#21]
i have served under an allied officer. never operationally but in the training environment. with the British Royal Marines both times it was small scale, like at the platoon level and i didnt have a problem with it. but UN blue helmet shit...no thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:59:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It happened all the time with American sailors.  The Brits during their war with France, attacked American ships and took the sailors and forced them into service.

Impressment
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:15:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are asking if I personally would accept orders from a NATO commander the answer would be yes if the president ordered it. As far as the UN? I cant stand one single thing about that organization and despise it with every bone in my body. I would spit in the face of Kofi Annan if I had the chance.

+1 The UN is an anti-american corrupt shithole organization.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:25:46 AM EDT
[#24]
If I recall correctly, wasn't his point, that his unit was adding UN insignia or something to the uniform, and that only Congress had the authority to make such changes? IIRC it's been awhile...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#25]
They wore blue baseball caps and/or blue berets and had blue covers for their kevlars.  I think they might have also added a UN patch to the right shoulder of the BDUs during the deployment.  Personally I dont remember a patch on the BDUs when my BN rotated own to Macedonia, but the New thing happened about 2 years before I got to the unit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If I recall correctly, wasn't his point, that his unit was adding UN insignia or something to the uniform, and that only Congress had the authority to make such changes? IIRC it's been awhile...

It was supposedly something really stupid like that after he found out what deep shit he was heading for .  Then he got a lot of bad advice from some knucklehads like some of the guys around here and tried to make a federal case(so to speak) out of it.  He probably didn't want to go and then figured out what he thought was a good reason.  WRONG.

We had an EM3 who was standing 6 on and 6 off watches with his Leading Petty Officer.  The LPO came back and about half a dozen gauge glasses were broken.  He maintained it wasn't him, that somebody came in and did it while he was sleeping on watch.  The XO tried to hang him with a Court by charging him with Misbehaviour of a Sentinel or Lookout, a heavy duty offense, and a few others.  The CO clanged him hard at Mast.  I got him off the Misbehaviour charge on appeal.  Cant be guilty of Misbehaviour as a Sentinel or Lookout when you aren't on duty as a Sentinel or Lookout.  Still cost him but he got some back.  Then he got arested soliciting a police officer in San Diego a few months later.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:11:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I wonder if New would have raised a stink if he was slotted to go to MFO instead of Able Sentry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top