Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2013 10:36:30 AM EDT
I live outside the city limits of Tucson, and outside the city limits of Marana - I'm on 1.8 acres in the desert. There are houses around me, all on 1-3 acre plots. The closest house is about 300 yards away.

We have a Coyote and Pig problem here. My girlfriends chihuahua was recently mauled to death by a pig. My dag and I were surrounded by Coyotes in the front yard once, most down in a prowling/crawling posture and closing in on us, roughly 9-12 of them - I was in my PJ's and didn't have my gun with me - we retreated and got back into the house luckily.

The pigs routinely knock our trash over, dig up our garden (not sure how they get in, since it's fenced, they're smart little fuckers). I came out this morning and my entire yard was covered in trash. I spent the better part of 2 hours cleaning it up. My pitbull loves to chase them, he starts barking when he smells them and I let him out the front door and he chases them all over the desert - he loves it.

My question is this; The bastards both have proven to be dangerous - I have small children here. They're also destroying our property. From what I understand Coyotes are pests, and can be killed all year round - Pigs need a permit.

IF the situation arises and I need to shoot one, be it Coyote or Pig, am I likely to get into legal trouble if they're on my property? I'm so fed up at this point.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#1]
"It was coming right at me!"

Seriously, I can't see you getting into trouble for shooting up a half dozen coyotes in your front yard trying to corner you.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

...My girlfriends chihuahua was recently mauled to death by a pig....

Why did you let a pig come into your house?

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:39:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Without knowing anything about AZ law I'd recommend you get some livestock. Most states have a law on the books that allows you to protect livestock from any wild/domestic animal threat.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#4]
You might want to post this in your local HTF (tab above - between outdoors & industry) to get local response. However, that said any animal threatening me/my family is toast.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My question is this; The bastards both have proven to be dangerous - I have small children here. They're also destroying our property. From what I understand Coyotes are pests, and can be killed all year round - Pigs need a permit.

IF the situation arises and I need to shoot one, be it Coyote or Pig, am I likely to get into legal trouble if they're on my property? I'm so fed up at this point.

I'm think there'd be a problem with discharging firearms within a municipality, even though you're outside of Marana and Tucson due to the proximity of other structures.  IIRC, AZ DPS considers any structure capable of human enclosure (could even be a portable outhouse) whether its occupied or not a 'structure' and thus would need to be at least 1/4 mile away

Again, do NOT quote me on this; I'm going off of Maricopa law.  I DO NOT know the specifics about zoning down south in your neck of the woods.  If I were you, I'd call your local Sheriff (Pinal Co?) and/or DPS and/or AZGF

edit:  obviously, a physical threat to yourself/family/property would change the dynamic.  That's why I'd start by calling the local cops if I were in your shoes
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:45:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Try calling here, I'm sure they will let you know.

AZ  Game & Fish  Region V - Tucson
555 N. Greasewood Rd.
Tucson, AZ 85745
directions*
520-628-5376
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
.25 miles from a house to hunt or closer with permision. coyotes are open season. javalina are big game and if you kill one out of season and not in self defense you will lose your hunting privileges and the firearm used to commit the crime.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#9]
...and keep the pepper spray handy until you get an answer about the application of lethal force.  Four-legged critters don't like that stuff (CS gas) any more than the two-legged ones do
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
.25 miles from a house to hunt or closer with permision. coyotes are open season. javalina are big game and if you kill one out of season and not in self defense you will lose your hunting privileges and the firearm used to commit the crime.

You do not have the same hog problem the rest of the south has???

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Sling shots - steel ball. Plausible deniability.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#12]
As posted above, Javelina are not pig or hogs.  They are considered a game species (as posted above) and you need to be careful here.  Shooting deer eating your pansies, or a javelina in your trash
would very likley be very bad.  You need to get your trash situations squared away, then talk to the departments listed to see about what constitues a threat to you or your pets.  You are also gonna
want to check with these folks about your dog chasing the Javelina.  That might be considered harassing wildlife, and could in and of itself bring you issues.  Please do not rely upon the good folks here
as your only source of information.

Craig
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Hunting permit+compound bow+100 grain broadhead=winning.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not bad.

Is a crossbow legal in AZ for hunting?

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did you let a pig come into your kitchen?
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feral pigs are not too common in AZ. If you can find them, they are a nongame species and can be taken with M249 if so desired.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Dr pepper + fly poison???  Seems to work for coons and possums
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Huh. I thought javelina were listed as varmints
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#20]
game and fish says 1/4 mile from any occupied structure. And it must be otherwise legal to shoot.

you will need a hunting license for coyotes and a tag for a javelina
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Get a nice bow and sit on your roof and do work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
game and fish says 1/4 mile from any occupied structure. And it must be otherwise legal to shoot.

Damn I thought coyotes were varmints too. It's a good thing I don't live out in the sticks
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did you let a pig come into your kitchen?

To be consumed.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Feral pigs are not too common in AZ. If you can find them, they are a nongame species and can be taken with M249 if so desired.  

Javelinas are pigs, I assume they do not qualify.  Should be able to shoot them as pest.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#25]
still need a hunting license for varmints in AZ

killing critters requires a license. Killing big game requires a tag.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn I thought coyotes were varmints too. It's a good thing I don't live out in the sticks

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Only if you fear for your immediate safety.  Otherwise, if you shoot a Javy, you had better have a tag and be in the right unit otherwise you will be breaking the law.  AZGFD, just go ahead and look it any of their yearly hunt guidelines.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Javelina are blind, stupid, and only a threat if they accidentally run you over in their panic to get away.

Good luck convincing anyone that knows anything about javelina that you were in fear for your life - maybe you could justify shooting it because of their stench

Quoted:
Only if you fear for your immediate safety.  Otherwise, if you shoot a Javy, you had better have a tag and be in the right unit otherwise you will be breaking the law.  AZGFD, just go ahead and look it any of their yearly hunt guidelines.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Javelina and coyote are game animals in Arizona.  http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_rules.shtml

You really ought to review your state laws, and/or talk to an Arizona hunter before doing anything.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Until you mention the dag I thought you were my BIL.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
still need a hunting license for varmints in AZ

killing critters requires a license. Killing big game requires a tag.

This for Texas as well
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Javelinas are pigs, I assume they do not qualify.  Should be able to shoot them as pest.

Not so much.  Might want to google collard peccary ;^)  I used to hunt them a lot, and it would suck to have huntable populations of game species (as defined by state Game departments) reduced to zero (meaning no more hunting seasons) because folks who chose to live in their habitat are inconvenienced.  I am fine with protecting life and property, but not by folks given uncontrolled license.  generally, game and fish like to be invloved with and regulate just how to remove critters that do become legal pests.  And I live with bear and coyote problems, myself.

Craig

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Javelina and coyote are game animals in Arizona.  http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunting_rules.shtml

You really ought to review your state laws, and/or talk to an Arizona hunter before doing anything.

Coyote are game animals?  Anyone got a good recipe for them?

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There isn't enough Dillo Dust on the planet...
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I have nothing to offer except jealousy. It takes a lot of work to bag a yote in my area and pigs are still in the realm of myth. Joe bob swears his brother's daughter's boyfriend's best friend's dad caught a glimpse of one once.

And here you are, knee deep in yotes.

lucky bastard
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#35]
At my gf's house we shoot whatever is in the yard (140 acres)  If it walks onto the 600yard shooting range, it's dead.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#36]
It's pretty easy to get really tangled trying to sort out what is a Game Animal.  I always assume if a tag is needed, and there is a limited hunting season, then Game and Fish are actually trying to maintain a population.  When you need a tag, and the season is 365 days, game and fish is needing to maintain a budget ;^)

I too would love to have Javelina huntable and reasonably close, as opposed to having to go down and hunt in the mess we call the US Border region.

Craig
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#37]
The three S-es are "shoot, shovel, shut up."
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Check with AZ Game and Fish, but I would say that you can't take out the Javelina without a tag but coyotes are open season if you have a hunting license... HOWEVER.. You're within safety zone of occupied buildings.. If you get notarized documents fr om all neighbors within that safety zone permitting you to discharge firearms within their proximity, you can take out coyotes as much as you want... The alternative is bow/arrow, but coyotes will rarely give you the opportunity...

Trapping Javelina may be another option.. Those stinky little bastards are pretty dumb and will seek out trash in a trap.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, our "hogs" or "pigs" are little tiny things.  I think the most meat I ever got off of one was about 25#.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I live in the same surroundings but north of Phoenix just outside city limits. I'm guessing you have something or someone drawing these animals in, most likely a neighbor feeding them. I would absolutely contact Fish & Game about your situation. We have Javelina come into the yard often but they are often just passing through. We have yet to have any coyote come into the property limits while outside either just us or with the dogs. My boxers also enjoy chasing the Javelinas but I try to avoid that happening.

If you discharge a firearm and a neighbor calls it in you'll be screwed and could even loose your firearms rights for ever. You need to make a record of the problem with F&G and go from there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a great Javelina recipe - it would probably work for coyotes too:

First dig a hole roughly twice as deep as the length of the animal.
make sure it is a good round hole with sides nearly as vertical as you can make them
This is the key to success: toss that sucker in, fill in the hole and walk away.
You'll be much happier - trust me.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There isn't enough Dillo Dust on the planet...

Coyote= Dog........  Email obama and ask him.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Javalinas are NOT pigs. Not even related to pigs. "Should be" and "what is" are often different such as now.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not bad.

Only if you are considered "disabled"
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#45]
nevermind
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Claymores.

Squad autos with overlapping fields of fire.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Paintball gun.

You are just "marking them" to know if they are problem animals.

You are definately not harassing game animals if anyone asks.

Of course, I don't know the legality of this, just consider it ignorant internet blather until you find out
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
At my gf's house we shoot whatever is in the yard (140 acres)  If it walks onto the 600yard shooting range, it's dead.

People go to jail based on statements like that.

SSS
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not bad.

In rifle season.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Javelinas are not pigs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top