Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2017 11:10:54 PM EDT
Getting a vintage engine and have always dreamed about making a old-school racer out of a drop tank.

Big skinny tires with pieplate wheels

Just need the tank, ascot, and leather helmet
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#1]
We share the same dream!  Flat head Ford in a salt flats racer.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Plan on  hitting hitting Bonneville?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We share the same dream!  Flat head Ford in a salt flats racer.
View Quote
That's the engine I have

Sadly no plans yet to go to the flats, would just build it up and when the boy is older then go
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
belly tank

I like your style!
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want to eventually go to Bonneville, get a rule book and read up on the requirements.  You will end up with a huge roll cage sticking up out of the tank.

There is a reason nobody builds lakesters out of tanks anymore, except for nostalgia.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Some inspiration and neat old 40's Hot Rod cut away drawings.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Go drive a commercial boat around the gulf of Mexico. I've seen a few floating and almost hit one at night, in the dark. Fkn things.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Purple sage trading post          
look on Pinterest also  
I went to bonneville last year  watch a lady ride a bike to about 150    Turbine car crashed at 400 ish
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Getting a vintage engine and have always dreamed about making a old-school racer out of a drop tank.

View Quote

IM sent
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Here ya go, OP.  A C-130 1000 gallon drop tank.  You could probably put a nitro-burning Hemi inside with nothing sticking out.  A lot bigger than an F-4 600 gallon belly tank.

C-130 wing tank:

Old style F-4 belly tank:
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#11]
My uncle made a pontoon boat out of a couple of drop tanks , I'm not sure what they were from though, I think they were from a Hercules.
He got them for free because he was the head of the maintenance shop at RCAF Cold Lake.

It was a pretty cool boat !
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#12]
A

Find a MIG-21 drop tank.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Is this you, OP?

Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know where a couple of F-105 ferry tanks are, but they’re nowhere near you.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I can tell you for a fact that Holloman AFB will be unloading about 14-600 gallon F-4 centerline tanks, 16 or so 370 gallon F-4 wing tanks and 3 travel pods.

I've heard over the years that the travel pods were converted napalm tanks from Vietnam, I don't know if that is true or not.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#16]
 I like it!
What a sense of humor!
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I can tell you for a fact that Holloman AFB will be unloading about 14-600 gallon F-4 centerline tanks, 16 or so 370 gallon F-4 wing tanks and 3 travel pods.

I've heard over the years that the travel pods were converted napalm tanks from Vietnam, I don't know if that is true or not.  
View Quote
But those would be the "new style" centerline tanks, which are like F-15 centerline tanks.  3-piece construction, nose cap, straight tube body and tail cap.  Very different compared to the old-style oval shaped, 2-piece (front half, back half) tanks that bolted together in the middle.

The 2-piece design would fail at the seam and I saw one F-4 have a tank split in two while taxiing.  One big shit show when 600 gallons of JP-4 splooshed onto the ramp.  In flight the old tank was only good for 4 Gs when full.  The F-15 tank was good for as many Gs as the F-4 could handle.

The AF F-4 world converted to the "High-G Centerline Fuel Tank" aka: the  "F-15 tank" in the early 1980s.  Externally it was the same tank as the F-15 but internally (plumbing, electrical) they were totally incompatible if you thought about interchanging them.

For building a belly tank roadster I think, the 2-piece tank would be preferable.  You could slice the sections along the mid-point and have a 4-piece body that would allow work on the car by only removing the top sections and, with the engine cover section having quick-release fasteners and the other 3 sections being screwed into place.

As far as those travel pods go, yes the first ones were unused napalm canisters.  As the supply of parts went away the fabrication shops simply rolled their own. The first ones were napalm canister kits with a door panel cut into one side and a hinged-mounted door panel installed.  The post Viet Nam examples were copies built out of sheet metal in under a day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But those would be the "new style" centerline tanks, which are like F-15 centerline tanks.  3-piece construction, nose cap, straight tube body and tail cap.  Very different compared to the old-style oval shaped, 2-piece (front half, back half) tanks that bolted together in the middle.

The 2-piece design would fail at the seam and I saw one F-4 have a tank split in two while taxiing.  One big shit show when 600 gallons of JP-4 splooshed onto the ramp.  In flight the old tank was only good for 4 Gs when full.  The F-15 tank was good for as many Gs as the F-4 could handle.

The AF F-4 world converted to the "High-G Centerline Fuel Tank" aka: the  "F-15 tank" in the early 1980s.  Externally it was the same tank as the F-15 but internally (plumbing, electrical) they were totally incompatible if you thought about interchanging them.

For building a belly tank roadster I think, the 2-piece tank would be preferable.  You could slice the sections along the mid-point and have a 4-piece body that would allow work on the car by only removing the top sections and, with the engine cover section having quick-release fasteners and the other 3 sections being screwed into place.

As far as those travel pods go, yes the first ones were unused napalm canisters.  As the supply of parts went away the fabrication shops simply rolled their own. The first ones were napalm canister kits with a door panel cut into one side and a hinged-mounted door panel installed.  The post Viet Nam examples were copies built out of sheet metal in under a day.
View Quote
The MIG-21 would burn off all of the fuel in the centerline tank as it idled out of the revetments, rolled out onto the runway, and got airborne. The aircraft would also shed its wing ordnance above 6Gs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#19]
@Clarinath

I wish I had a p-38

The one I want to do has taller and Skinnier tires
Even if I don't make it to the flats it would be a fun project with my boy
And the flats are just a dream, they want way too much safety gear that I don't want to install for a shits and giggles vehicle
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#20]
i think the salvage yard in great falls, MT still has a couple of 600gal f-15 centerline tanks for sale.

edit: there's a gigantic surplus store/yard in idaho falls that might also bear checking.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Here ya go, OP.  A C-130 1000 gallon drop tank.  You could probably put a nitro-burning Hemi inside with nothing sticking out.  A lot bigger than an F-4 600 gallon belly tank.

C-130 wing tank:
http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/News/Special%20Features/Indian%20Day%202010/130325-pod_A.jpg

Old style F-4 belly tank:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9mJq8QcqPZ8/UbC2vlL6QUI/AAAAAAAAFZA/eBNCQxg9CxM/s640/F4H+600-gallon+Tanks+Rev+A.jpg
View Quote
Couldn't drop an external on the Herk.

I mean you could, on the ground, in the stands and shit..but not in flight...and, iirc, it was close to 1300 ga's
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Anybody happen to have the dimensions for the different sections of the three piece tanks?
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes, keep an eye on ads Barnstormers.com

They are not so cheap anymore but are out there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:28:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Did you figure anything out OP?
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you want to eventually go to Bonneville, get a rule book and read up on the requirements.  You will end up with a huge roll cage sticking up out of the tank.

There is a reason nobody builds lakesters out of tanks anymore, except for nostalgia.
View Quote
This is part of the reason the country is in the shitter.
Fucking rule books for running a car on a salt flat.
Fucking people have to have rules for everything.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Did you figure anything out OP?
View Quote
Not yet, have a few leads from friends on some.
It's been put on the side burner as I may be moving and still dealing with radiation treatments
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can they really stop you? I mean, it's a salt flat. Just drive 10 miles down the flat from where they are and do whatever you want.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I want it more for the cool factor as well as a project with my son, there would be other things I'd want to take out to the flats besides this project
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top