Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2018 5:53:26 PM EDT
Bought an old sled, guy said it needed the carbs cleaned. While cleaning them I noticed the oil tube had popped off and hadn't been oiled properly in who knows how long. So I get it apart (only 1800 miles), one piston looks good. One is a little scored on one side (the one that didn't have oil).

So the plan is to over bore that one cylinder .020 over but I've never run into it where only one cylinder needed it. Can I just overbore one cylinder (new +.020 piston kit) and replace only the rings in the other one? I've read opposing view points on the internet, some saying its ok if I weight balance the pistons (remove some material from the oversize one). Thoughts?

@AKSnowRider
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I was going to mention piston weights have to be the same. If you’re doing this as a budget type thing go for it. There really isn’t any more risk in doing it this way or the “correct” way. Sometimes even a properly built engine will scatter due to some anamoly or oversight.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was going to mention piston weights have to be the same. If you're doing this as a budget type thing go for it. There really isn't any more risk in doing it this way or the "correct" way. Sometimes even a properly built engine will scatter due to some anamoly or oversight.
View Quote
Agreed.

Unless its an absolute budget build once you go through the effort for one side, you may as well do both cylinders
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't that throw the engine off balance?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, my thought as well. Parallel twin?  Might put extra stress/wear on the crank, might vibrate more.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I would do both sides OP.... sleds run high rpm's for long periods, a mis matched piston set is going to make issues down the road...
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input guys

On somewhat of a budget. Doing 2 1980s Yamaha Phazers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pistons won't weight the same
Cylinders won't breath the same

If you stay 500 RPMs away from redline it might survive.
Butis that what you want?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys

On somewhat of a budget. Doing 2 1980s Yamaha Phazers.
View Quote
If the budget is that tight maybe just leave it? I guess that depends on how bad the scoring is.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Wouldn't it make the carb difficult to adjust with one cylinder pulling a different volume of fuel/air mixture than the other?

Besides the balancing issues.

Just thinking out loud. In for answers from those more experienced than I.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bought an old sled, guy said it needed the carbs cleaned. While cleaning them I noticed the oil tube had popped off and hadn't been oiled properly in who knows how long. So I get it apart (only 1800 miles), one piston looks good. One is a little scored on one side (the one that didn't have oil).

So the plan is to over bore that one cylinder .020 over but I've never run into it where only one cylinder needed it. Can I just overbore one cylinder (new +.020 piston kit) and replace only the rings in the other one? I've read opposing view points on the internet, some saying its ok if I weight balance the pistons (remove some material from the oversize one). Thoughts?

@AKSnowRider
View Quote

Over bore both.
In cars, you overbore all cylinders if only one really needs it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:13:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wouldn't it make the carb difficult to adjust with one cylinder pulling a different volume of fuel/air mixture than the other?

Besides the balancing issues.

Just thinking out loud. In for answers from those more experienced than I.
View Quote
It will run, probably have a bit of vibration and if run long enough at rpm, will most likely end up breaking the crank and wiping out the engine...How long is long enough...no one knows until it goes boom...
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If the budget is that tight maybe just leave it? I guess that depends on how bad the scoring is.
View Quote
If it'll make a difference I'll spend  the money. Sounds like its not worth risking it
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah, my thought as well. Parallel twin?  Might put extra stress/wear on the crank, might vibrate more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can match the piston weights.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If it'll make a difference I'll spend  the money. Sounds like its not worth risking it
View Quote
It really isn’t unless you’re simply doing it as an IDGAF rebuild/experiment.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#15]
If the scoring is all vertical, very lightly hone to make sure there isn't any aluminum stuck to the bore and put a new piston and rings in it.  It will run just fine like this.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah but still have to deal with all the issues the overbore causes with breathing, compression and flows..and heat for that matter....
Now he could have them bore the stock cylinder and insert a liner back to stock bore diameter, but would surely be both more work and cost then just boring both and buying pistons....He might hunt down a good used cylinder for cheaper then boring both, but I would still put new pistons in it because sleds run constant high rpm and are extremely hard on skirts..nothing worse then fixing  one issue and have it blow up a month down the road because of an issue you ignored the first time thru it...
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah but still have to deal with all the issues the overbore causes with breathing, compression and flows..and heat for that matter....
Now he could have them bore the stock cylinder and insert a liner back to stock bore diameter, but would surely be both more work and cost then just boring both and buying pistons....He might hunt down a good used cylinder for cheaper then boring both, but I would still put new pistons in it because sleds run constant high rpm and are extremely hard on skirts..nothing worse then fixing  one issue and have it blow up a month down the road because of an issue you ignored the first time thru it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree it certainly won't be a race motor.

Guy asked could he get away with it for a cheap assed build, which he probably could.

I'm with you overall, spend another $100 and just punch both sides out
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:26:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If the scoring is all vertical, very lightly hone to make sure there isn't any aluminum stuck to the bore and put a new piston and rings in it.  It will run just fine like this.
View Quote
I think one cylinder probably needs it. I'll post pics later but the piston is melted on the side and gouged on top, plus score marks on the intake side where the ring came together. From running with out oil on one side.

Gotta go tear the 2nd motor apart quick so I can place my order before the ebay 15% off ends
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Take the good piston a weight it, then take the new piston and weight it.   Take the new one and trim some weight till you get it the same as the old piston is.   .20 is not that much over size.   Take a dermal and trim some weight out of the inside of the new piston.   Now you can look around and you might beable to find a new piston that weights what your old piston weighs.

Wolf
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#20]
OP, what sleds?
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#21]
You can balance that , just weight the pistons the same
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP, what sleds?
View Quote
Sled in question is a 88 Yamaha Phazer. Also rebuilding an 89 so wondering if I run into the same thing.

would be nice to avoid the overbore. Its $82 per cylinder to bore and hone at The Crank Shop, and $45 a piston (for cheap kimpex). Not a lot of money but I'm cheap
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:38:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Take the good piston a weight it, then take the new piston and weight it.   Take the new one and trim some weight till you get it the same as the old piston is.   .20 is not that much over size.   Take a dermal and trim some weight out of the inside of the new piston.   Now you can look around and you might beable to find a new piston that weights what your old piston weighs.

Wolf
View Quote
It is a long fucking walk to the truck when its blows up again in the dead of winter.....The trailer is 11 miles past the furthest hills you can see in this pic....Let alone getting the sled back to the trailer....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sled in question is a 88 Yamaha Phazer. Also rebuilding an 89 so wondering if I run into the same thing.

would be nice to avoid the overbore. Its $82 per cylinder to bore and hone at The Crank Shop, and $45 a piston (for cheap kimpex). Not a lot of money but I'm cheap
View Quote
You have all summer, tear them down...most likely going to find one rough cylinder on each..mate the two good cylinders and bore the others
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You have all summer, tear them down...most likely going to find one rough cylinder on each..mate the two good cylinders and bore the others
View Quote
Just got the two cylinders off the other sled, looks like both need reboring. So I definitely need 3 out of 4, I'm thinking I may as well just do the 4th.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#26]
OP  try walking around a whole day  with  a shoe one pound more than the other.................  and ask this question again
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#27]
If you're on a real tight budget, just weight match both pistons. Watch a couple YouTube videos on where to take the weight out of the new piston.

Myself, I would just put two new ones in.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:24:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just got the two cylinders off the other sled, looks like both need reboring. So I definitely need 3 out of 4, I'm thinking I may as well just do the 4th.

View Quote
Number 1 cause on sleds for light scuffing pistons is lack of warm up time...People fire em up, let them warm for 5 minutes then jump on and hit full throttle... basically it causes the pistons to heat and swell faster then the cylinders do and it scuffs...We fire ours up, then go get dressed/packed up after 10-20 minutes we get on and run as little throttle as possible for the first 10-20 minutes..same deal when taking a 20 minute break on the hill..always park on tracks on flat ground or downhill and go easy for at least a few minutes until the temps equalize..a squirt of 2 stroke oil in every talk of gas isn't a bad thing either...especially on a rebuild for the first few tanks...
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Get both.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Number 1 cause on sleds for light scuffing pistons is lack of warm up time...People fire em up, let them warm for 5 minutes then jump on and hit full throttle... basically it causes the pistons to heat and swell faster then the cylinders do and it scuffs...We fire ours up, then go get dressed/packed up after 10-20 minutes we get on and run as little throttle as possible for the first 10-20 minutes..same deal when taking a 20 minute break on the hill..always park on tracks on flat ground or downhill and go easy for at least a few minutes until the temps equalize..a squirt of 2 stroke oil in every talk of gas isn't a bad thing either...especially on a rebuild for the first few tanks...
View Quote
I'm the same way, I go out and start my snowmobile, then come inside and suit up, let it warm up a good 10-15 minutes until the running boards are warm. Then I take it easy for the first 10 minutes. Pistons on the SRX700 that I took apart looked almost brand new (except for the pto side that got a mouse nest), I've owned it for about 10 years. The two phazers I bought over in NY for $600 a few months ago. In decent shape but I could tell when I bought them the guy didn't really take care of them. When he showed them to me, he fired them up and ripped on the throttle right as its first starting. I was like

I think its more of a deal with forged pistons. I run Wiseco forged pistons in my TRX250r, and the break in is a long elaborate process plus I have to let it slowly warm up each time I use it. My LTZ400 has cast pistons and Nicasil bore so its a little more forgiving. I only let it warm up a minute or two.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'm the same way, I go out and start my snowmobile, then come inside and suit up, let it warm up a good 10-15 minutes until the running boards are warm. Then I take it easy for the first 10 minutes. Pistons on the SRX700 that I took apart looked almost brand new (except for the pto side that got a mouse nest), I've owned it for about 10 years. The two phazers I bought over in NY for $600. In decent shape but I could tell when I bought them the guy didn't really take care of them. When he showed them to me, he fired them up and ripped on the throttle right as its first starting. I was like

I think its more of a deal with forged pistons. I run Wiseco forged pistons in my TRX250r, and the break in is a long elaborate process plus I have to let it slowly warm up each time I use it. My LTZ400 has cast pistons and Nicasil bore so its a little more forgiving. I only let it warm up a minute or two.
View Quote
I assume these are for the kids...which is a good thing you are doing, take your time and do them right so they will want to go sledding, not dreading the sled breaking down all the time....need any advice or anything hit me up..not big on the Yamaha's, but have worked on them here and there...polaris certed years back with a healthy dose of doo's and cat's as well....Havent touched one since a bad wreck in 13 though..but all my buddies still ride...and work on them...
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:44:58 PM EDT
[#32]
So nobody is going to let the OP know that snowmobiles have engines......not motors .  well at least last time I checked the market for electric snowmobiles is pretty slim.
Yes my Friday drinking has already begun
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It is a long fucking walk to the truck when its blows up again in the dead of winter.....The trailer is 11 miles past the furthest hills you can see in this pic....Let alone getting the sled back to the trailer....
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_0278-591523.JPG
View Quote
Awesome pic!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:02:47 PM EDT
[#34]
.020"? Why the fuck not? You'll never feel it in the seat of your pants. Don't over think this shit.

AB
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Awesome pic!!!
View Quote
thanks...got a few... how about a full moon night...

Attachment Attached File

Or a nice sunset....

Attachment Attached File

sunny day of fun...notice all the fuel...

Attachment Attached File

Showing the kids how to turn a sled....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome pic!!!
thanks...got a few... how about a full moon night...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/blacktruck013-591854.JPG

Or a nice sunset....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_0276-591855.JPG

sunny day of fun...notice all the fuel...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Picture011Custom-591857.JPG

Showing the kids how to turn a sled....

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/blacktruck116_edited-591860.JPG

Paradise.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:30:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Agree with AKSR that the money spent is a function of how fucked you'll be if that motor/engine/power delivery system decides to give up the ghost at some point.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Just break the piston rings free and run it. It will be fine now that it's getting oil.

Cheaper and better than 2 different piston sizes
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:40:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was going to mention piston weights have to be the same. If you're doing this as a budget type thing go for it. There really isn't any more risk in doing it this way or the "correct" way. Sometimes even a properly built engine will scatter due to some anamoly or oversight.
View Quote
Agreed.

That said - unless rock-bottom budget, once it's setup to bore one cylinder shouldn't be too much work to do others, but it may be unnecessary. Maybe toss a coin?
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#41]
I see your doing them all.

Have a 94 Indy trail deluxe 488 fan cooled that only had one side bored out.
Put a lot of hard miles on it after.

Know of a bunch of others run the same way.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#42]
90% of the hassle is breaking down the engine and reassembling it. Might as well do both.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 12:57:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Yeah if it was me, I would do both. A snowmobile/snow go/snow machine/whatever they call it in your A.O. is IMO something you need to be dependable as it can leave you in a world of frozen hurt if it goes down at the wrong time. Would do it right
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:03:35 AM EDT
[#44]
I had a triple polaris motor pop a piston on a trip.i took to a local guy in mercer who had a ready to go+ .030 jug and piston to fit the polaris motor.he installed it and 6500 miles later,no ill effects..fwiw
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:09:13 AM EDT
[#45]
That would be great to see and hear.  It would sound like an old Jonny Popper.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
That would be great to see and hear.  It would sound like an old Jonny Popper.
View Quote
Dad called them popping johnnies.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:40:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Arfcom be all experts, but they aren't.  Yes, you can bore one cylinder and it won't cause a problem.  Won't be off balance, or breathe wrong or whatever the fuck else Arftards dream up.  If you are using factory pistons, a .010, .020, .030, etc. should all weigh the same.  That way when it is overbored and larger diameter piston installed it won't be off balance.  Aftermarket, who knows.  If the cylinder is not deeply scored you may be able to hone it to get it smoothed out and just put back in the stock piston, new one of course.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 4:09:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You can balance that , just weight the pistons the same
View Quote
In my eyes you have only balanced the rotating mass with that approach, which is good.  But you have neglected, albeit marginal, the difference in volume and power production vs the other cylinder.  In my eyes, do it right and overbore both cylinders assuming a 2 cyl.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:04:28 AM EDT
[#49]
A .020 over or is fine on one cylinder.  It's not even remotely close to that finely balanced from the factory.  Don't worry about it a bit.  The idea that a .020 over bore will alter AFR in any significant way is laughable.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol, except the difference in a .020 piston and a standard one will be a few grams.  Anyone who thinks factory engines are balanced that precisely is in dreamland.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top