Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 6:49:32 AM EDT
Just looking for opinions...Does the Subway, pizza hut, etc. in the food court make the troops feel better ( a slice of home) or worse?

I'm thinking better, but I have no facts or experience in Iraq...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#1]
How often do the frontline troops make it back to the green zone? I know that my buddy's brother got some R&R time in Qatar, but after that, it was back to some old Iraqi AF base in the middle of nowhere eating MREs and shitting in a hole.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I have eaten probably a half a million times at said food court, it does beat the shit out of MRE's and even the DFAC(chow hall) wichwas actually quite good...

BTW the Green Zone covers Baghdad, Qatar is actually a totally different country (been there too, it's like the Las Vegas of the middle east) and you'd be hard pressed to find "front lines" in Iraq, there isn't really any safe place there, some are just hotter than others..

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a emporary fix. For guys who have been without "a slice of home" for a while and suddenly get to eat some food court grub, it's good for a few trips to perk a trooper up. Then it's just another thing they get tired of...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it's a great idea.  While they may get tired of the food, there is still something to be said about normalcy, and that brings some to their lives.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's a emporary fix. For guys who have been without "a slice of home" for a while and suddenly get to eat some food court grub, it's good for a few trips to perk a trooper up. Then it's just another thing they get tired of...

true, but everything out there is a band aid for being home. Still,no matter how you look at it, it beats MRE's and it's at your leisure ya know...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#7]
It also beats the hell out of waiting for a VERY mediocre meal at the chow hall when the line is long and your patience is short.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top