Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2014 8:45:03 AM EDT
Hey guys, I am going on a honeymoon in September out west to Utah, Colorado and Arizona. We will be visiting places like Zion NP, Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches NP, etc.

I currently have a Nikon D5100 with the kit lens and a 55-200mm lens.

I wanted to get recommendations on what kinds of camera gear I should bring, mainly things like filters and lens. I don't have a big budget so I'd like to stick to the affordable lens and I am willing to sell of my current lens for better lens. Also, I have never used filters before so I'd love to get some recommendations on filters.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#1]
have you considered renting lenses, seeing as you might need/want some options that you don't usually use?

you can get glass that you (likely) can't afford....use it for a few weeks.....and give it back.

Personally, I'd want a good low mm fixed focal length lens for wide shots (CO has a lot of expansive landscape shot options).  A zoom lens with the ability to take good macro shots (for macro plant/bug/etc shots).  And a long length zoom for those times when you want to capture those elk on the next ridge (I missed a shot with 100+ elk because I couldn't zoom enough).

Everything else can be covered with those options (plus the lens you have).

Image stabilization works, I've quite enjoyed it in my Canon stuff.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:34:06 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on rentals, and also on wider than 18mm on the D5100.

Also, if you're interested in some printed tips for out there, Laurent Martres has a series of photography books covering the Southwest.  He gives tips on locations, lenses, filters, best times to shoot the listed locations, etc...

Book 1, links to 2 & 3 on that page  (No interest other than I personally find the books useful for planning future trips where I have limited time.)

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
1. More SD memory than you think is necessary.   On your honeymoon, you should not be editing photos on a computer.  
2. Tripod... preferably a lightweight CF quality one.
3. Appropriate day bag for just the camera gear you are taking at that time.

Just make sure you put your wife and honeymoon ahead of photography for this trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top