Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2015 10:08:52 PM EDT
My iPhone 5 has gone plumb stupid.  Even though I removed all music from my phone, iTunes AND my phone still think there is data on there hogging up space. iTunes even says that I am over-capacity by 806MB.  I tried a backup and factory reset, then a restore, that didn't work. Something is stuck on my phone or in iTunes that is screwing it up. Anyone got some ideas?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You have too many pictures on your phone.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have too many pictures on your phone.
View Quote

Nope, barely any at all.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:29:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Save pictures/videos/contacts/other irreplaceable stuff then do a DFU restore and setup as a new phone. No restoring from backups because you're just putting the same mysterious crap back on there the phone thinks is storage. DFU restore and setting up as new will wipe everything and you'll be starting from scratch unless you have iCloud Drive already enabled for photos.

Since you have an iPhone 5 make sure you don't fall under the battery replacement program.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Save pictures/videos/contacts/other irreplaceable stuff then do a DFU restore and setup as a new phone. No restoring from backups because you're just putting the same mysterious crap back on there the phone thinks is storage. DFU restore and setting up as new will wipe everything and you'll be starting from scratch unless you have iCloud Drive already enabled for photos.

Since you have an iPhone 5 make sure you don't fall under the battery replacement program.
View Quote

what is the battery replacement program?

ETA:  What about my apps? Will I have to get them one at a time thru the app store again, or can I restore them via iTunes?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what is the battery replacement program?
View Quote

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Back up your phone to iTunes. (Which will save your apps and data.)

Restore phone to factory default, then restore from backup.

See if that helps.

Keep in mind, if you send or get sent text images, those count as space fillers but won't necessarily show up anyplace except your text messages.  Try deleting old threads and see if the space usage changes any. If it does, you found your problem.  Save the images you want to the image library then delete the rest of the threads.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Its probably something in the backup. Wipe the phone DFU restore and don't restore it setup as new blank phone. I do this on my phone every major IOS release and it stops many problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top