Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2002 5:29:31 PM EDT
Long story short. [B]$700[/B] freaking bucks to fix the GD brakes! The ABS motor pack and a bearing went bad. Since it's more than we owe on the car we're trading it in tomorrow. I'm leaning towards an Expedition, she wants a Windstar. (PUKE!!!) We'll see who wins (or which is a better deal). She's kinda emotional (lunar cycle thingy) so it should be an interesting day. Wish me luck!

PONY_DRIVER
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Since it's more than we owe on the car we're trading it in tomorrow.
View Quote

So, anytime you pay more for a repair than the balance owed on your car note, you should get rid of it (and AFTER you've already paid for the repair, no less)? Please explain the logic of this to me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Since it's more than we owe on the car we're trading it in tomorrow.
View Quote

So, anytime you pay more for a repair than the balance owed on your car note, you should get rid of it (and AFTER you've already paid for the repair, no less)? Please explain the logic of this to me.
View Quote

Well the repair wasn't done so it wasn't paid for. You probably missed the thread titled "CRAPOLIER PO F*&&#) S ABS sensor...how much $$$" In it I detailed the problems that we've had with this "vehicle".

1. 36K brakes shot (no problem it's a wear  
  item)

2. Around the same time it develops a "chug/  
  cough"....spark plugs (AC Delco[POS] 100,000
  miles plugs are shot. I mean electrode burnt
  down, and the ground had some funly build up
  on it.

3. Mile 140 or so of a 200 mile trip the check
  engine soon light comes on. turns out that
  it was misfiring due to the #3 plug wire
  arcing against the block. Factory defect and
  replaced free of charge, but scary as hell
  cuz I was in the middle of nowhere.

4. The drivers side window fell out off the
  track.

5. It started overheating. Spit out ALL the
  coolant one day. Turns out the bearings
  burned out in the electric motor for the
  cooling fan. (123.37 from Chebby or $22 from
  auto zone).

6. wife hit a curb and dented a rim...$112 from
  Chebby...screw a junk yard I was so pissed I
  beat it back into near perfect shape with
  the tire iron.

7. It leaks oil

8. It shifted funny...metal in the tansmission
  fluid $120 at Pep Boys.

9. Brake light comes on, brakes make horrible
  crunching sound WITH MY WIFE AND 20 MONTH
  OLD SON IN THE CAR. (I would have shot it
  and left it for dead if I didn't live in the
  city.

10. The battery cable has a bolt though the end
   of the cables into the battery, one broke
   off.

11. Some where along the line the rotors warped (common on CRAPoliers).

12. The damn thing makes funny noises.

13. The damn ABS motor pack is $351 +80 for a
   diagnostic + labor = damn near $700.

The logic is I'm F&^$*#! fed up with this POS!

PONY_DRIVER
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If you get a Expidition or a Windstar you run the risk of being back in the same place. They are two of the more trouble prone Ford models. Both have a host of electronic and transmission problems.

If you want a Ford look at Crown Vic/Grand Marquis and also the 4door F150.

If you want those same class of vheicles look at Durango and Grand Caravan.

And even though its still the same basic design as the Chevys, I have heard only good things about GMC Envoy.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]
ArmdLbrl,

The 4 door F-150 that I want is MORE expensive than the F-250 I want! With the same options! Supply and demand I guess. I don't think I'll ever own a chrysler, but my aunt has had great luch with hers. Even though Saturns are GM they're in a totally different league. My 92 SCII was a good car, but not for a family, plus it was starting to cost $. The alternator went out and it cost me $500 between towing, parts and labor. When I traded it in on my truck the brakes were getting bad, the clutch was slipping (again) and the alternator was on the fritz(again), and all 4 tires were close to tread death.

A Mercury Marauder would be slick though! The Expedition was my idea and a compromise between a mini van (ugh, soccer mom stigma) and another truck. The Excursion was just too big. I'd like an F-250 or 350 crew cab long bed 4x4 off road single axle and a 5.4 liter triton V8.

PONY_DRIVER
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Well today has been interesting. My wife was in full lunar cycle affected PMS and a totaly emotional bitch. (there oughta be a pill or soemthing for that) Anyhow we almost bought a 2002 Expedition, but she wants to get her car fixed now. Go figure(!), she's changed her mind umpteen times in the last two days. We''l see what happens, but she just told me that they wanted to replace the ABS motor pack and gear and THEN do another diagnostic to see if it's all better. I damn well better be!

PONY_DRIVER
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top