Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 6:29:19 AM EDT
I was thinking, I know we have had quite a few "bad cop" stories here lately, and it just left me wanting to hear some "Good Cop" stories.

I don't generally see too many threads with "Cop saves the day" as the title so was thinking we could start one here. Post your "Good Cop" story and show some appreciation for the "Good Guys/Gals"!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Who is this 'good cop' of which you speak?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Such a post would be on page 10 so fast it would make your head spin.  It does not fit the  "us vs them" GD agenda.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Whavever happened, it wasn't me...I'm in training status for the next few months
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#4]
C'mon GD posters, you can find every story about a cop spitting on a sidewalk...just find us ONE good story.

Seriously, humor us.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh boy, JIA and Fed both in early, this has potential....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#6]
My mom lives next door to an officer, a tree in his yard fell on her house, he cleaned it up immediately and paid for her roof to get fixed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Nah. It'll be gone before lunch.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah. It'll be gone before lunch.

Yeah but it could be fun for a little while.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#9]
When I was 11, we lived down the street from a Portland Police officer. He always had odd jobs for me to do and paid me well. From mowing his lawn to my very favorite.. Hand washing his 55 Chevy!

Also, when I was young and lived in North Portland, you could always flag down an officer, if they weren't busy, they'd stop and talk to you, and best of all? Hand out Trail Blazers basketball cards! Man, we used to LOOK for the Officers all the time!

Also, when Mt. St. Helens blew, the local officers came around and handed out the little face masks to us, making sure we had breathing cover. Good guys!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Such a post would be on page 10 so fast it would make your head spin.  It does not fit the  "us vs them" GD agenda.  

Oh get off your persecution complex.  Its rare for anyone to get good news published, and cops get more than most.  The media wants to make everything a crisis and a disaster so it can sell more crap to the sheeple and wow them with fancy graphics at the bottom of the screen.

You don't see headlines like "cop uses reasonable force in taking down drunk" for the same reason you don't see "both lawyers represent parties well, fair settlement reached," or "teacher does good job teaching algebra, molests no one."

That's just life.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#11]
We had two receive life saving awards this year.

Deputy 1 was working a part time job when he heard screams coming from a fountain area in a subdivision he was working security at.  He went over and discovered a 2 year old girl had fallen in and was found unconcious, face down.  He did CPR and saved the girl's life.  She has made a complete recovery.

Deputy 2 entered a burning house late last year and pulled out an elderly couple.  This summer he responded to an overturned kayak on the lake; it was storming at the time.  When he arrived four or five people were standing on the end of a pier watching a lady from the kayak treading for water, no life jacket and the kayak had drifted away.  The deputy dumped his duty rig and vest, jumped in the water and swam 200 yards out into the lake in storming conditions, and pulled her back to safety.

But what do you care...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:49:29 AM EDT
[#12]
This is exactly why this thread SHOULDN'T die. But, chances are it will...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#13]
How about all the times that I've let piss drunk underage Joe's sleep it off instead of running their little asses in?  How about no matter how badly they curse me?  As soon as I show up and see drunk kids, I just say "I don't give a shit how old you are as long as your're a Soldier and you behave yourself".  Then I go find out about whatever complaint landed me there in the first place.  Too often though the reason I'm called is because some dipshit 19yo PVT got trashed and started fighting people.  BTW, I work Ft. Hood in the 1st CAV DIV area so I generally just deal with Joe's!  I was also a Soldier back in the day and was stationed in Germany from 18-21 years old.  So I've earned my retarded drunken kid badge!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#14]
My father let many arrestees "throw away" a knife or pistol that would have put them in Angola State Penitentiary if he had included it in the arrest. If you treated him with respect, you got it in return.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Woe is you, woe is you....
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#16]
In 1988, I was doing 110 from Chandler AZ to Coolidge AZ. Officer freindly did his job and gave me a well deserved ticket (85 mph).
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I call B.S.

First of all, I don't think you really had that donut in the car. If you did, it would have been up front in the pasenger seat for easier access while driving. Second, you mentioned that you "tore ass" outta there, however, you stayed long enough to see two grown men wrestle naked. Something's not right here......
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How about all the times that I've let piss drunk underage Joe's sleep it off instead of running their little asses in?  How about no matter how badly they curse me?  As soon as I show up and see drunk kids, I just say "I don't give a shit how old you are as long as your're a Soldier and you behave yourself".  Then I go find out about whatever complaint landed me there in the first place.  Too often though the reason I'm called is because some dipshit 19yo PVT got trashed and started fighting people.  BTW, I work Ft. Hood in the 1st CAV DIV area so I generally just deal with Joe's!  I was also a Soldier back in the day and was stationed in Germany from 18-21 years old.  So I've earned my retarded drunken kid badge!!!

Holy crap i feel for you man. I have worked CQ for the Barracks at the end of clear creek. All i gotta say is  Probably the worst barracks i have seen in my 3 years.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#19]
It's true, to rip off that old quote "most men live lives of quiet desperation", when applied to police officers it's:
Most cops live lives of quiet dedication.

I'm not a cop. I have known a few over the years. Some from competition shooting and some from volunteer work I've done.

What follows is typical of the men and women I've known.

Rural area of CO, out towards Punkin Center (yes, it's a real place). Follow up on a home burglary, some long guns and personal belongings taken. Some kids talk, one kid, 13 or 14 years old gets picked up, and spills the beans.

This leads to worker housing (cluster of trailers) on a large farm. Trailer skirting is pulled back and the few long guns taken are recovered.

Now remember these are just dumb kids and they took dumb stuff. Family pictures, assortment of cheesy C&W tapes (including, no shit, Slim Whitman), even one of those things that sit on a counter top to hold spatulas, spoons, and various kitchen implements. Stuff they had no use for, they were just taking. When they figured out they didn't want the stuff they tossed it in the dumpster.

Now here's the scene. It's two in the morning of a typical late Fall in CO, beautiful warm days, clear nights in the high 30s to low 40s. You can see your breath. A small crowd has turned out of the trailers to see what's going on. Kids from two trailers where stolen property has been found, are catching death threats and promises of beatings from their parents for being involved.

The first kid caught, was picked up in the late afternoon so he is in jeans and a short sleeve shirt. Shivering from the cold he leads us to the dumpster containing the discarded stolen property.

The deputy takes off his jacket and puts it on the kid. He then commences to go dumpster diving to recover the property. As cold as it is, you wouldn't think it would smell so bad.

The deputy has a list of stolen items, and keeps at it until the kid says thats all they threw in there. He recovers some items of low intrinsic, but high personal worth, family pictures, the glass or frames broken, but pictures intact. Some still useable stuff, a lamp and some clothes. And a lot of seemingly worthless stuff, such as a Slim Whitman tape, and for my money, once the cheap plastic spoons and spatulas went into the dumpster they could just stay there.

Afterward, I commented on his kindness to the kid, and asked why he went to the extreme of digging through garbage and bothered with things like cheap kitchen utensils that the righful owners would surely not use again.

This was his response, and it is representative of my observations of law enforcement officers:

"It's not my place to judge value. I can't undo the crime. The best I can do is try to restore the victims belongings."
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I call B.S.

First of all, I don't think you really had that donut in the car. If you did, it would have been up front in the pasenger seat for easier access while driving. Second, you mentioned that you "tore ass" outta there, however, you stayed long enough to see two grown men wrestle naked. Something's not right here......

You are correct in your call of BS, because I fabricated that story to show you all that you never hear that story. Also I wanted to make a funny.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I call B.S.

You are correct in your call of BS, because I fabricated that story to show you all that you never hear that story. Also I wanted to make a funny.

I know, I was being sarcastic, I thought your story was hilarious.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Do you know what they call it at my job when I do the right thing and go out of my way to help others over and above my pay grade and or job description?  Wednesday.

ETA: All your page 2 are belong to my vicious attack licking boxer, jack. Here he is celebrating 1 year of cop-hating.

ETA,ETA: For those of you who lack a sense of humor, im just joking. Most police officers do an outstanding job every day without fanfare.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
...... "It's not my place to judge value. I can't undo the crime. The best I can do is try to restore the victims belongings."

Now THAT'S a public servant. I know guys that wouldn't even do that for thier wives, or sons!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Major League Snip

Cool story, thanks for posting that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

you're absolutely right, why post in a thread when everyone will just be saying +1 or "good shoot" or "showed more restraint than I would have?" We all know that threads go long because of arguments and pissing contests. That's why threads in which a cop's action is questionable go forever.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#26]
A cop gave me a speeding ticket a few weeks ago.  No tazing, no peppersray, no shooting of dogs.  

He just gave me the tax bill, then I was free to go.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#28]
When I lived in Jonesboro my house got broken into.  I grabbed my 1911 (Im cured now!) and went in clearing the house, as I sent my wife down the street and told her to call 911.  3 cops showed up quickly.  I was outside by then. I put my hands on my head since I was sure she'd told them I was inside and armed, first cop tells me to take my hands off my head, the other two kinda laughed (what the hell, I grew up in gangland)  anyway, they sat around for awhile, nothing was missing so we didn't do a report.  2 of em were Tac team guys.  I invited all 3 of em out to the range for our carbine match the next day.  

They showed, with 3 cases of ammo.  I got to burn ammo all day out of 2 real M4's  GREAT cops imho
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Several years ago, I had my garage burglarized and they took several firearms.  I mentioned to the cop that came out and took the report, "I'm glad they didn't come in the house, and at the same time, wishing they did."  

He replied, "Had they come in, you would have shot them because they had gone into your kitchen and grabbed a knife.  Just remember that."  

I love cops like that
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

don't generally see too many threads with "Cop saves the day" as the title so was thinking we could start one here. Post your "Good Cop" story and show some appreciation for the "Good Guys/Gals"!

There's no need for threads like that. It's called doing the job you get a salary and a pension to do.

I'm sure you've never appreciated someone telling you good job have you?  You would much rather only have people publicly bashing you when you make a mistake.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Several years ago, I had my garage burglarized and they took several firearms.  I mentioned to the cop that came out and took the report, "I'm glad they didn't come in the house, and at the same time, wishing they did."  

He replied, "Had they come in, you would have shot them because they had gone into your kitchen and grabbed a knife.  Just remember that."  

I love cops like that

During a discussion between another cop and a some guy about shooting someone who breaks into your house. "Make sure you shoot him inside, your pretty safe then.  If you shoot him outside drag him inside."
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#32]

I'm sure you've never appreciated someone telling you good job have you? You would much rather only have people publicly bashing you when you make a mistake

I work for the NYPD in Bedford-Suyvesant, no one tells us "Good Job", not even our supervisors.

As for being bashed for making a mistake, hey welcome to Law Enforcement. If you actually care about that then you need to find a new line of work.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love cops like that

During a discussion between another cop and a some guy about shooting someone who breaks into your house. "Make sure you shoot him inside, your pretty safe then.  If you shoot him outside drag him inside."
The mechanics of which are two VERY different things.  But opening up this debate would cause issues lol
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#34]
My next door neighbor when I was in high school was a deputy sheriff.

Sold me my first ever pistol (.44 Magnum Virginian Dragoon). Used to trade rifles and pistols back and forth all the time.

Still talk to him from time to time. He went on to become a magistrate and helped out a friend of mine in a domestic dispute case (that was pure bullshit but the DA wouldn't drop it.).
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
So these two cops pull me over. They walk up to my car wearing nothing but their gun belts and a smile. I knew I was in trouble! So I reach into my back seat and grab the MOTHERLOAD: a sprinkle and chocolate covered jelly doughnut. Instantly their attention is diverted from me and my tender cornhole to the pastry in my trembling hand. I wave the doughnut back and forth, their eyes following it like starving dogs and a steak. I toss the doughnut out on to the road and they sprint for it. They both slam into eachother and wresle, naked, on the pavement for the sprinkle covered life-saver and I tear ass out of there, never to look back. I still have nightmares!  

You never hear that one....

Why does this make me think of the scene in "Dumb and Dumber" where the cop confiscated and drank their "beer"?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:50:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Michigan State Police come to our range to qualify with their service weapons and practice with their deer rifles all the time. The club figured it would be nice for them to be able to schedule their training and shooting when it's to their advantage. Bunch of really good guys, who will chat with you about everything and anything under the sun. Just regular folks with families doing the job.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#37]
On October 12, 1993, then president Bill Clinton was giving a speach at the Universty of North Carolina Bicentennial Celebration. Law enforcement from around the state were tapped to assist with the securty.
One of the officers forced to come in on his day off, was one of the good guys, Officer Bob.
President Clinton was trying to have a "see LEO's support the Assault Weapons Ban" photo op. Well Officer Bob was in the line of NC LEO's that the President was shaking hands with. When Clinton got to him he said, "Please Mr.President, don't sign the Assault Weapons ban. It won't make my job any easier, it will just hurt honest folks."
President Clinton stopped his entourage and responded with, "Well I am gonna sign it, and I'll tell you why......" For 10 minutes. The Secret Service Presidential Security Detail was LIVID. So was Czarina Hillary. A month later Officer Bob received an O-fficial letter of reprimand from either the desk of the Secretary of State for the State of NC, or the Attorney General.
He framed it, of course. A life long peace officer, stood up for us lowly lay people, to the President of the United States. He gets class III toys through work, but he stood tall for you and me to have our semiautos.
Bob is an outstanding PEACE officer, a dog lover, a shooting sports competitor, an avid firearms nerd, a motorcycle enthusiast and a helluva an American.
He is the coolest cop I have ever met. Definitely not a memebr of the thin blue line, that coming FROM one of his supposed brother officers.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#38]
When I was a kid around 2-3, my babysitter's husband was a policeman.

Being the gifted sort that I am, I managed to get my head caught between two rungs in their rocking chair.

The babysitter called her husband who was on duty.  He took time out of his busy day to come and saw the chair so I could get my head out.

I am still appreciative of his help.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:34:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
On October 12, 1993, then president Bill Clinton was giving a speach at the Universty of North Carolina Bicentennial Celebration. Law enforcement from around the state were tapped to assist with the securty.
One of the officers forced to come in on his day off, was one of the good guys, Officer Bob.
President Clinton was trying to have a "see LEO's support the Assault Weapons Ban" photo op. Well Officer Bob was in the line of NC LEO's that the President was shaking hands with. When Clinton got to him he said, "Please Mr.President, don't sign the Assault Weapons ban. It won't make my job any easier, it will just hurt honest folks."
President Clinton stopped his entourage and responded with, "Well I am gonna sign it, and I'll tell you why......" For 10 minutes. The Secret Service Presidential Security Detail was LIVID. So was Czarina Hillary. A month later Officer Bob received an O-fficial letter of reprimand from either the desk of the Secretary of State for the State of NC, or the Attorney General.
He framed it, of course. A life long peace officer, stood up for us lowly lay people, to the President of the United States. He gets class III toys through work, but he stood tall for you and me to have our semiautos.
Bob is an outstanding PEACE officer, a dog lover, a shooting sports competitor, an avid firearms nerd, a motorcycle enthusiast and a helluva an American.
He is the coolest cop I have ever met. Definitely not a memebr of the thin blue line, that coming FROM one of his supposed brother officers.

I love Bob!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Who is this 'good cop' of which you speak?

Hey hey, not all cops are the damaged products of a failed social engineering project. Only about a tenth are. The rest are perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#42]
All great stories and worth a read. Thanks for the links!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
It's true, to rip off that old quote "most men live lives of quiet desperation", when applied to police officers it's:
Most cops live lives of quiet dedication.

I'm not a cop. I have known a few over the years. Some from competition shooting and some from volunteer work I've done.

What follows is typical of the men and women I've known.

Rural area of CO, out towards Punkin Center (yes, it's a real place). Follow up on a home burglary, some long guns and personal belongings taken. Some kids talk, one kid, 13 or 14 years old gets picked up, and spills the beans.

This leads to worker housing (cluster of trailers) on a large farm. Trailer skirting is pulled back and the few long guns taken are recovered.

Now remember these are just dumb kids and they took dumb stuff. Family pictures, assortment of cheesy C&W tapes (including, no shit, Slim Whitman), even one of those things that sit on a counter top to hold spatulas, spoons, and various kitchen implements. Stuff they had no use for, they were just taking. When they figured out they didn't want the stuff they tossed it in the dumpster.

Now here's the scene. It's two in the morning of a typical late Fall in CO, beautiful warm days, clear nights in the high 30s to low 40s. You can see your breath. A small crowd has turned out of the trailers to see what's going on. Kids from two trailers where stolen property has been found, are catching death threats and promises of beatings from their parents for being involved.

The first kid caught, was picked up in the late afternoon so he is in jeans and a short sleeve shirt. Shivering from the cold he leads us to the dumpster containing the discarded stolen property.

The deputy takes off his jacket and puts it on the kid. He then commences to go dumpster diving to recover the property. As cold as it is, you wouldn't think it would smell so bad.

The deputy has a list of stolen items, and keeps at it until the kid says thats all they threw in there. He recovers some items of low intrinsic, but high personal worth, family pictures, the glass or frames broken, but pictures intact. Some still useable stuff, a lamp and some clothes. And a lot of seemingly worthless stuff, such as a Slim Whitman tape, and for my money, once the cheap plastic spoons and spatulas went into the dumpster they could just stay there.

Afterward, I commented on his kindness to the kid, and asked why he went to the extreme of digging through garbage and bothered with things like cheap kitchen utensils that the righful owners would surely not use again.

This was his response, and it is representative of my observations of law enforcement officers:

"It's not my place to judge value. I can't undo the crime. The best I can do is try to restore the victims belongings."

I would say that's pretty typical of the officers in Eastern CO.

Also, i go through Punkin center quite a bit, usualy at about 90 MPH.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top