Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2002 12:48:57 PM EDT
BLACKMANTA WROTE:        Sunday  JULY   28
The success of the recent Long Island shoot made me jealous!

How's about CT residents on this board getting together for a shoot of our own? My suggestion for a location is the DEP Rifle Range in Glastonbury (about 10 miles east of Hartford).

The DEP range is free to use. It's only open to the public on Sundays, but range officers (such as myself) can use it pretty much anytime during the day.

I was thinking of a Saturday because we'd probably have it to ourselves. The range goes to 100 yards and there are ten stations. You can use whatever you want as a target--except for anything that'll shatter or cause a ricochet (no photographs of politicians, either).

To get to the DEP rifle range, take exit 10 off route 2. If you were traveling east, then turn right off the exit. If going west, turn left. When you come to a stop sign, turn left. You'll come to another stop sign. Go straight through.

Follow the road as it curves left and then right. At the end of the road there is a dirt area with a yellow gate (the gate is open while the range is open).

Go over the first area and follow the broken pavement on the other side. Keep looking to the left and you'll see the range.

The range is only open to the public on Sundays, but police and range officers can use it whenever we want.
That would be July 28. The range closes to the public at 2:00, but range officers can use it pretty much anytime.

I figured everyone could show up a little before 2:00. Then we could close the gate and enjoy ourselves.
Anyway, July 28 is looking good. If possible, I'd like to get a rough idea of how many people will show up. Send me and e-mail if you can.
The shoot is definitely on for Sunday, July 28. WEATHER PERMITTING!

Bring eye and ear protection (make sure you bring eye protection!). Bring target, a staple gun, and large sheets of carboard. We have frames but cardboard is always in short supply.

Handguns are fine for CT residents. If you're bringing a CT banned firearm (asuming it's grandfathered) make sure you have the registration sheet w/ your thumbprint). Silencer/supressors are okay (with the paperwork) but no full automatics.

The directions are as follows: take exit 10 off of route 2. If you're going east turn right off the exit. If you were going west turn left.

You'll come to a stop sign. Turn left.

Follow the road (straight through one stop sign) as it curves left and then right.

You'll come to a dirt area with a yellow gate (the gate should be open). Go across the dirt to the broken pavement on the other side***.

Follow the broken pavement and you'll see everyone on the left. Park on the pavement.

Note: the range is typically open to the public from 10:00 to 14:00 on Sundays and reservations are usually a good idea. This is an exception. Just show up and we'll have a good time!

If there's any questions just e-mail me.

[email protected]

original post in General Firearms Discussion

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I will make every attempt to be there. Funny, I've been thinking 'bout this for a while now.

Somebody finally went ahead and set one up.
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You can use whatever you want as a target--except for anything that'll shatter or cause a ricochet (no photographs of politicians, either).

View Quote

And there you have it. Politicians know the score. They want the freedom to ban your guns, but disallow you the freedom to be upset about it.

This is public property. I think this is a First Amendment violation. If something as eloquent as a cross in a bottle of urine is important  enuf to fall under the 1st Amendment, certainly political "speech" such as emoting on a polly-tishun's photo is protected.

Stated another way, ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/22/2002 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
ZOG:

Aren't AR's (and a bunch of other "bad" rifles) illegal in CT?  I live just over the border in NY and would like to come.  However, I'm not ready to get a personal view of the CT justice system.  I thought full autos  were ok but selective fire and "assault rifles" were banned.  

FF
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Check the original notice in
General Firearms Discussion.
This was discussed extensively.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=131724
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]
btt
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top