Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 2:52:16 PM EDT
David Quammen, an author of multiple books on science and diseases, including “Ebola,” and "Spillover," argued against a ban on flights to Liberia by stating the US has a “responsibility” to the nation “given the fact that this is a country that was founded in the 1820s, 1830s because of American slavery” on Thursday’s “AC360” on CNN.

Quammen first argued that such a ban would not be feasible because “it’s impossible to track them [people flying from Liberia],” and “you can't isolate neighborhoods, you can’t isolate nations. It doesn't work.”

He then said, “people talk about ‘well, we should not allow any flights in from Liberia.’ I mean, we in America, how dare we turn our backs on Liberia given the fact that this is a country that was founded in the 1820s, 1830s because of American slavery? We have a responsibility to stay connected with them, and help them see this through.”

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2014/10/02/Author-Slavery-Gives-US-Responsibility-to-Not-Ban-Flights-From-Liberia
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Learn your fucking history, David.. and STFU.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
This is why I no longer watch cable news.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That was a fairly big reason we intervened there last decade.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw that last night.....dumb as shit...

insanity has taken over.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Learn your fucking history, David.. and STFU.
View Quote

As much as I disagree with the point he's making, where is his history wrong? Liberia was founded in the 1820's as an American colony.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Liberalism is a mental disorder.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
What about our responsibility to the rest of the world... given that we're a global community and all?  

But seriously.... if it really were to break out here everyone is screwed. EVERYBODY is goin down with this ship!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Time is shorter than you think fellas...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Helping them is one thing (I agree we should).

Simply allowing anyone to come waltzing in here, unrestricted because they have contracted a communicable disease is simply irresponsible.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#10]
My brain just broke.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Zero agrees with him.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Ban the flights. What happened almost 200 years ago is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#13]

If he feels such a strong responsibility to "stay connected with them", he should head on over there to fulfill it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:17:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Fine, then he can have some diseased refugees come live in his house if he feels that strongly about it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you really believe that.

You might want to check 0bola's opinion about that!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What about our responsibility to the rest of the world... given that we're a global community and all?  

But seriously.... if it really were to break out here everyone is screwed. EVERYBODY is goin down with this ship!
View Quote

Unless the elite have the cure already..........
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If he feels such a strong responsibility to "stay connected with them", he should head on over there to fulfill it.
View Quote

That sounds good to me!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Careful with that thought process though.  That's what liberals say about the constitution.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#19]
This whole Ebola thing will end badly for us.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#20]
White guilt? Nahhhhhh.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Whosit?

Not that banning flights s from there would do any good,  all they need to do is fly to some other country first.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Whosit?

Not that banning flights s from there would do any good,  all they need to do is fly to some other country first.
View Quote

And they would need to be symptomatic to be caught by airport screeners.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#23]
You first, David.

Oh, and you can leave your hazmat suit at home.  It reeks of white privilege.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Whosit?

View Quote

Why would banning flights not do any good?

Measures don't have to be 100% effective to be worthwhile.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#25]
As an aside to this discussion... I predict that Jerry Jones will sign Ebola to a contract with the Dallas Cowboys very soon...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:34:51 PM EDT
[#26]
He then said, “people talk about ‘well, we should not allow any flights in from Liberia.’ I mean, we in America, how dare we turn our backs on Liberia given the fact that this is a country that was founded in the 1820s, 1830s because of American slavery? We have a responsibility to stay connected with them, and help them see this through.”
View Quote

How is banning flights the same as turning our back on them? We sent 3,000 troops, right?

We can ban flights and we can help at the same time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Time is shorter than you think fellas...
View Quote

Winter is coming.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Øbama will agree with him, as will most liberals.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Send him to Liberia, don't let him come back.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#30]
These Liberal fuckchops are playing the "White Guilt" card with everything they got.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whosit?

People here are advocating shooting down  aircraft with a possible patient on board.   They are not  going to be satisfied with "good enough"
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#32]
retard
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure. Why not? There is not a single person alive today who was alive back then and I certainly hold no responsibility for what happened in the 1820's.

I may need to check my privilege though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Whosit?

View Quote

Do DUI laws catch/stop every drunk driver?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Did President Obola tell him to say that?

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who's us?

Its going to end badly for poor people packed in tight in urban settings, whose culture already embraces third world behaviors.  Draw what conclusions you want from that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Who's us?

Its going to end badly for poor people packed in tight in urban settings, whose culture already embraces third world behaviors.  Draw what conclusions you want from that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who's us?

And people who fly a lot in packed aircraft, or kids packed in schools, or people who work in large buildings, or go to large shopping centers. Or attend large sporting events.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#38]
The stupid is much more deadly than ebola.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And people who fly a lot in packed aircraft, or kids packed in schools, or people who work in large buildings, or go to large shopping centers. Or attend large sporting events.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who's us?

Quit talking like that! The wife and I are flying down to Vegas the week after next and I don't want to be thinking about ebola. Maybe ebola won't want to risk being frisked by the TSA?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:57:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whosit?

Because flights do not originate from Liberia. Liberia air doesn't have the capability.

Easier to ban anyone with Liberian passports or immigration stamps.

Could do what Asia did during the h1n1 scare. Treated all westerners like germ carriers and screened all of them
With thermal cameras looking for fever.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#41]
lol
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Liberians of American descent account for less than 3 percent of the population of Liberia.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Slavery is the worst thing to ever happen to the United States...

...for more than one reason.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 3:59:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Could do what Asia did during the h1n1 scare. Treated all westerners like germ carriers and screened all of them
With thermal cameras looking for fever.
View Quote

I think they're at least taking the temperature of people outbound from Africa. Fever means you may be symptomatic, means you stay put.

This is just what I heard, though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Up to 21 days incubation period!  Something needs to be done, make all policy makers ride on these plains, sitting next to possible victims for 14 hours.  Then let them change the current policy, which is denial.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who's us?

No, it wont.  The people you mention are at great risk in the case of an airborne transmitted disease.  Like the flu.

There is still a small risk, and some will get sick and die, but it won't be the grim reaper disaster like it will be for inner city immigrant or ghetto populations.

When evidence of airborne transmission surfaces, let us know. If it was airborne there would be a thousand cases from the one guy in Dallas by now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#47]
so because of liberal guilt we allow ebola more opportunities to spread... no words can express...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Sure. Why not? There is not a single person alive today who was alive back then and I certainly hold no responsibility for what happened in the 1820's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither do I. But I'm also not a Liberal, or stricken with White Guilt, like a lot on here are.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#49]
The guy is a idiot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top