Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 8:32:37 AM EDT
I left service 7 years ago, but have a question for those still in uniform:  are they finally awarding the '2nd' award for CIB for current combat operations for those who had it previously?  Even though I was in combat several times from 88-98, I only received one 'award' due to it being 'post Vietnam service'.  Something about the regs that:

WWII is one era
Korea was another era (and soldiers who had it from WWII received a star)
Vietnam - current (?) was another era

So, when I served, even if our CSM served as a Private back in Vietnam lets say in 1969, and then, as CSM of our unit in Panama back in 89, even he didnt receive his "Star" above the CIB.

Anyway, was just wondering if the current CIB's are still considered within the Vietnam Era of the award and if anyone is getting the silver star above the Kentucky Rifle to denote a second award.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes they are.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
(1) To date, a separate award of the CIB has been authorized for qualified soldiers in any of three conflicts: World War II (7 December 1941 to 3 September 1945), the Korean Conflict (27 June 1950 to 27 July 1953), and the Vietnam Conflict. Service in the Republic of Vietnam conflict (after 1 March 1961) combined with qualifying service in Laos (19 April 1961 to 6 October 1962), the Dominican Republic (28 April 1965 to 1 September 1966), Korea on the DMZ (after 4 January 1969), Grenada (23 October to 21 November 1983) Panama (20 December 1989 to 31 January 1990), and the Persian Gulf War (17 January to 11 April 1991) is recognized by one award only regardless of whether a soldier has served one or multiple tours in any or all of these areas. If a soldier has been awarded the CIB for service in any of the Vietnam era areas, that soldier is not eligible to earn the Combat Medical Badge.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
1.  EFFECTIVE 5 DEC 01, OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM BEGAN THE 4TH
CONFLICT QUALIFYING FOR AWARD OF THE COMBAT INFANTRYMAN BADGE AND THE COMBAT MEDICAL BADGE.  THE VIETNAM ERA (3D CONFLICT) TO QUALIFY FOR THE CIB/CMB) WAS OFFICIALLY TERMINATED ON 10 MAR 95.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top