Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2002 10:34:20 PM EDT
I got pulled over recently and the LEO came up to me and asked to see my CCW and asked if I had a weapon. Is the CCW info connected to my drivers license or my vehicle?  He was very professional and courteous but didnt know too much about the CCW law in Michigan.  He asked what I carried and if that was the only weapon that was registered to my CCW.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
In Texas, its tied to your DL #.
Maybe they extrapolated that further, starting with the vehicle.  Car - registered to john doe - dl # blah blah, ccw holder.....
Tate
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The short answer is yes...at least they are in MN...It comes up when they do a check on your license
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
ARDOC
Michigan law requiters that you tell the Officer that you are carrying a firearm as soon as he approaches the car. When he ran your plate number on his computer it already told him every thing about you. I forgot to mention you only have to inform him if you are actually carrying. Its wise to tell he ether way.
Red
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Speaking only for Texas, upon request for ID by LEO you must produce your CHL license along w/ your DL. As Tate has stated CHL is tied to TX DL and failure to produce CHL after a traffic stop is grounds for revocation of CHL license for 1 year if memory serves. Texas has 2 types of CHL, if one qualifies w/ a semi-auto (SA) one may carry any type of handgun, single, double-action or semi. If one qualifies w/ a double/single action (S) one may only carry a double/single, no semi-auto allowed.

After 5 years and 4-7 stops (no only 2 tickets / speeding) the last time was the only time a LEO asked to take possession of my pistola, I was on scooter and they have terrorist warning about "Banditos" here in space city. He even placed compact 1911 into saddlebag and requested I wait until he reached his shop before I could replace it. While very civil through-out stop I was very suprised as that had never happened before. Most have as your experience bears out been very conversive about what , where, how I liked which ever particular pistol I might have at time.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Next time, hopefully there wont be one!  I will hand over my CCW right away.  I actually had to find a bathroom stat and I handed my papers to him and said, I need to go pronto. He said go do my business and when I came out of the 7-11 he told me to come over to his squad car and asked for my CCW.  Like I said a real nice and professional guy.  I was speeding and he let me off with a warning.  Part of it was definetly professional courtesy for being a doc. He asked for my hospital stuff too. I guess my only reaql confusion was whether to inform him right away about the CCW.  I am used to turning on my dome lights and keeping my hands visible.  I just have to add one more thing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top