Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 8:33:42 AM EDT
How do you guys handle taking your CCW to the gym? Exposing it for all to see in the locker room is not an option.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I subtly leave mine in the car in a locked carry case.  Make sure no one sees you doing it, though.  I use a Safariland paddle holster for easy removal.  Carry OC/CS spray into and out of the gym with you so you are not totally unarmed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
did anyone else think of how guys smuggle stuff into prison?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How do you guys handle taking your CCW to the gym? Exposing it for all to see in the locker room is not an option.

Since I live in one of the very few unenlightened states, I'm not familiar with CCW laws.  You aren't supposed to show it in public, but aren't there any exceptions for semi-private facilities such as washrooms, bathrooms, etc.?

Jim
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Guy walked into the Quickie mart yesterday with his Glock exposed on his hip yesterday. No one said a word or even blinked.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#5]
In TN. your allowed to open carry with a CCW just not advised to do so.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I recently went through a very similar problem while working out and trying to still carry. I finally came up with the idea of buying a kel-tec .380 and an uncle mikes pocket holster. I found some mesh gym shorts at academy sports that have pockets, and I sewed a little peice of velcro on the pocket so that the pocket could be held closed (so the gun does not fall out). Now when I am just going to the gym to lift, I can still have my CCW on me. This also works well if you change at the gym and just want to keep your gun in your pants pocket and change into a pair of shorts for your work out. You dont have to deal with a gun on a belt holster for people to see.

The kel-tec, the holster, and 200 rounds of ammo ran me $325 out the door with tax from a local dealer...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In TN. your allowed to open carry with a CCW just not advised to do so.

I am not worried about the legality really. Although open carry is technically legal in CO, good luck trying to get away with it in Denver, where I live.

I am more concerned about upsetting some anti-gun person who will complain to management, and possibly result in me having to find another gym.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I recently went through a very similar problem while working out and trying to still carry. I finally came up with the idea of buying a kel-tec .380 and an uncle mikes pocket holster. I found some mesh gym shorts at academy sports that have pockets, and I sewed a little peice of velcro on the pocket so that the pocket could be held closed (so the gun does not fall out). Now when I am just going to the gym to lift, I can still have my CCW on me. This also works well if you change at the gym and just want to keep your gun in your pants pocket and change into a pair of shorts for your work out. You dont have to deal with a gun on a belt holster for people to see.

The kel-tec, the holster, and 200 rounds of ammo ran me $325 out the door with tax from a local dealer...

Intersting idea....
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:57:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy a cheap FAG BAG!  Before you get out of the car, put your pistol in there and carry it into the locker room.  Leaving your gun in the Car is always a bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Leaving your gun in the Car is always a bad idea.

I don't disagree w/that, but is leaving it in a LOCKER a better idea?  Which is more secure, in your opinion?  Sometimes we are faced with 2 not-so-great choices...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I use a fanny pack and keep it on me while I work out.  The gym is about the only place where a fanny pack doesn't scream "gun".
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I keep my gun in my jockstrap.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't trust the lockers at the gym. Leave it in the car. I used to see too many lockers get broken into while the person was out on the floor exercising/ working out.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Waist pack. Works well for running and weight-lifting.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#15]
leave it in the car
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Fanny pack.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#17]
I use a different gun/holster combo.  It depends on your primary method of carry, but I don't know of any "primary" method that is easily transferred to the gym.

Gym carry is unique.  You normally don't wear a belt.  Also, your shorts may not have pockets.  If you're wearing shorts (and most people do), ankle carry is out.  Last, you don't always have a separate cover garment, unless you walk around with an open zip-up sweatshirt.

I use a Kel-Tec P32 in a Thunderwear holster.  It's not the fastest draw but it addresses all the above issues.   I wear Under Armor Heat Gear compression shorts, followed by the Thunderwear, then covered by Champion shorts (which have pockets, so I can clip my Spyderco Endura to the pocket).  My t-shirt is worn untucked.  MP3 player goes on my armband so it's not in the way.

A lot of the issues with gym carry revolve around the gun.  If you do any cardio work, you need a light gun.  Otherwise, that heavy chunk of metal will bounce around a lot.  That is why I use the P32.  It's a light gun (9 oz) so it doesn't bounce at all.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
All you guys who advocate carrying while actually working out must be doing more standing around than actual exercise.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Seen the new Fobus Ass holster yet?

Mossad tested and approved!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top