Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
No. i had to take a dump REAL BAD!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Kinda looks photoshopped to me.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I just want to know if the UN is gonna be stingy and not give us some of our money money back.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#4]
That's too big to be a space station....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Fuck those Cali Idiots, they should move to a free state that doesn't have big rocks...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:51:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Fuck those Cali Idiots, they should move to a free state that doesn't have big rocks...

+1 Arfcommers excluded of course.  Why cant all of CA. just landslide into the Pacific???
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just want to know if the UN is gonna be stingy and not give us some of our money money back.

Yea I was wondering when we are going to get foreign assistance.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
A couple years ago we had one like that drop onto Hwy 50 a few miles up the road from me. Caltrans drilled it and blew it up into easy to load pieces. The local news had video of it. That was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Douchebag. Nothing but a Big Ol' CA-bashing douchebag.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.et.byu.edu/~beg4/Half%20Dome-Ansel%20Adams.jpg

Yosemite.  Beautiful place.  Half Dome if I recall. Ansel Adams made the place imortal.  I'd love to go back there someday.  Cali is a beautiful state, I'd enjoy living there if the legislature wasn't so
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#11]
yeah... that was NOT photoshopped.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:51:11 AM EDT
[#12]
That rock looks pretty good there.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.et.byu.edu/~beg4/Half%20Dome-Ansel%20Adams.jpg

Yosemite.  Beautiful place.  Half Dome if I recall. Ansel Adams made the place imortal.  I'd love to go back there someday.  Cali is a beautiful state, I'd enjoy living there if the legislature wasn't so

PRK is a very beautiful place and I was here before the commie-crud invaded.  Make them leave and I can stay.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#14]
330 had a few half that size over the last five days.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#15]
i was gonna go hit the slopes yeterday(bear) and this morning(mt high).... but rain closed em all anyways, the front way up to big bear is fubar.  I been taking 38 anyways.  Im gonna try and get up to mt high tomorrow.. its already down in the low 20's up there again!  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What dumb poeple with money will do just for a view of a desert.

Desert? That rock is lying on a road in the midst of a Coastal Mountain range, adjacent to a lovely (when it isn't eroding / sliding / burning) coastline.
Only about ~35% of the State is 'desert' in the classic sense. The rest is mountains, scrub and two 'bread-basket' areas which are larger than most States
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#18]
They showed the efforts to remove it on the news last night.

They drilled holes in it and tried to blast it into smaller pieces with TNT.  All it did was take a big slice off the front.

Half dome is a great day hike. Last time I went, there were two Texans withen 1/4 mile of the top who quit when they saw that last stretch with the wood slats and steel cables.  I couldnt believe someone would drive all the way from Texas, spend 12 hours hiking, to chicken out at the very end.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:49:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently understanding sarcasm/irony/humor pointed at those who bash Calif is not your forte.

(ie I'm making fun of the out of state dorks who whine about Calif...)
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:12:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0d/06/20050111075409990001

They drilled holes in it and tried to blast it into smaller pieces with TNT.  All it did was take a big slice off the front.

Move it? But ,but nature put it there. Have they done proper environmental surveys to make sure that they aren't going to disrupt the delicate eco-system that could possibly exist on it's surface?Perhaps there is a rare bipolar nematoad that breeds on this rock and may become extinct?

Huh.......?What's that....? Oh .......I see , it's blocking the entrance to Starbucks? Well then let's get that thing moved right away before someone starts jonesin' for their latte.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:18:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:21:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Arfcommers excluded of course.  Why cant all of CA. just landslide into the Pacific???

and one more for good measure
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:19:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Miz LWilde and I were living in Ventura County until 1996.  We remember the last landslide very well.  Just before we fled Kalifornistan, I noted that folks were again building below the hill with the huge scar left over from the first slide.

Amazing how incredibly dumb some people can be...just to get a great view of the shorline.  I heard a dude on the radio this morning from La Conchita, "discussing" this with the reportette.  I swear I was listening to Spicoli from "Fast Times"!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:24:23 AM EDT
[#24]
What's the deal with the geology there? I saw footage of one of those hills/mountains sliding and it looked like the hill was totally lacking any bedrock.

Are those hills made of dirt with no bedrock?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What's the deal with the geology there? I saw footage of one of those hills/mountains sliding and it looked like the hill was totally lacking any bedrock.

Marine sediments not more than about 5 million years old, not well compacted into anything most people would consider rock.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:45:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Now you guys know why we worry so much about forest fires here.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:47:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because without us the USA would be a 3rd world country.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Kinda looks photoshopped to me.  

I live very close to the area, the beast is alive!

If only we could get the beast to roll down the road
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Marine sediments not more than about 5 million years old, not well compacted into anything most people would consider rock.

So the hills are just big piles of dirt?
What was the mechanism that created them? Usually hills are made by erosion or by bedrock being forced up.

If it's a huge explanation, could you direct me to a webpage that explains the geology of that area?

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:29:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What was the mechanism that created them? Usually hills are made by erosion or by bedrock being forced up.

If it's a huge explanation, could you direct me to a webpage that explains the geology of that area?

Here's one site. I Googled "geology of Calif".

geology.about.com/od/geology_ca/
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a decent looking overview - seis.natsci.csulb.edu/deptweb/SkinnyCalSites/califoverview.html#Peninsular

The hills in that area and much of the SoCal coast are made of soft sedimentary rock.  Soil engineering for construction projects in that kind of material involves either compacting the site with a surcharge before construction, or digging down until you hit something solid enough to support the project, e.g. sandstone layers or (if available) granite bedrock.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_photos/0d/06/20050111075409990001

HA HA, my Caltrans explosive people are better than your Caltrans explosive people. When they blew up our boulder that size, it went "whump" and dropped into a a big pile of dust. 20 minutes later the road was clear.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top