User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Spain claim them yet?
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:49:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Probably for the best. I don't think we want a burned out hulk drifting through shipping lanes.

The Sacred Cow Shipyards YouTube channel has been talking about this case and how much of a challenge fighting fires on ships is. Fascinating and scary stuff.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I am glad mine wasn't on there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#4]
They ever come to a conclusion on how it started?
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#5]
So, do we know how the fire started?

*Electric cars packed into a ship, soon after manufacturing, may change insurance rates.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably for the best. I don't think we want a burned out hulk drifting through shipping lanes.

The Sacred Cow Shipyards YouTube channel has been talking about this case and how much of a challenge fighting fires on ships is. Fascinating and scary stuff.
View Quote

The issue was all of the lithium batteries in the cars that kept it going, getting hotter and hotter, lighting up more stuff.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]
How many of us Arfcommers are now stuck with our older Lambos because our new ones sunk?
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

*Electric cars packed into a ship, soon after manufacturing, may change insurance rates.
View Quote

I remember reading early it was a mechanical issue with the boat, not automotive related. And once the lithium batteries started going, it was a domino effect.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How many of us Arfcommers are now stuck with our older Lambos because our new ones sunk?
View Quote

Yep, and mine's in the shop as usual so I'm stuck driving my old beater Maserati.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

We are Farmers! Bum ba-dum bum bum bum...
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#12]
The thread on the Rennlist Porsche forum is pretty sad
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Finally someone admits the truth!  GD is full of multi-millionaires!
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep, and mine's in the shop as usual so I'm stuck driving my old beater Maserati.
View Quote

Maserati?

The poor thread is that way ——>
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The thread on the Rennlist Porsche forum is pretty sad
View Quote

There was a very special Carrera GT on that boat.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#16]
They are still saying they don’t know the original cause just that it was made worse by the electric batteries.  I’d bet insurance will be fighting that out for a long time…if it was boat caused then they are on the hook for the cars vs if a car battery started it then not only does VW lose the load but likely damages to loss of vessel.

Either way I bet costs to insure a load with those car batteries will get a lot more expensive…
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I take it these ships don't have some sort of sophisticated fire supression system built in that can hose down a fire wherever it starts?  Cause something tells me that is going to be a thing for new ships that intend on trasporting cars.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They are still saying they don’t know the original cause just that it was made worse by the electric batteries.  I’d bet insurance will be fighting that out for a long time…if it was boat caused then they are on the hook for the cars vs if a car battery started it then not only does VW lose the load but likely damages to loss of vessel.

Either way I bet costs to insure a load with those car batteries will get a lot more expensive…
View Quote

Something I find that I've been saying a lot lately. "You're up against the laws of thermodynamics, Captain!"

Battery powered cars demand putting a lot of energy into batteries. I wouldn't say that battery tech is quite where it needs to be yet, but it's getting there. Concepts like graphene frames containing electrical energy are fascinating. But that tech is probably decades away from commercial implementation.

Just so I don't sound like a hater. It's not like gasoline has ever caught fire.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am glad mine wasn't on there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#21]
The world weeps.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know, it just pisses me off!!  My 2018 Aventador is really showing it’s age with almost 1,000 miles on it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I’m calling BS

Scuttled is more like it.  Certainly the cheaper option.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I know, it just pisses me off!!  My 2018 Aventador is really showing it's age with almost 1,000 miles on it.
https://hdqwalls.com/wallpapers/2018-lamborghini-aventador-svj-front-tj.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, it just pisses me off!!  My 2018 Aventador is really showing it's age with almost 1,000 miles on it.
https://hdqwalls.com/wallpapers/2018-lamborghini-aventador-svj-front-tj.jpg

How provincial!
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kia, Hyundai ???
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
My Maserati does 185
I lost my license
Now I don't drive
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Somewhere, a cargo insurance executive just shat a chicken.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#28]
They will never admit that it was one of the EVs. It went down with the official version being, “the cause of the fire is undetermined.”  In 6 months or a year they will figure a way to blame something else for the fire.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#30]
That sucks, conditions on-bored had to be hellish with all fumes and fires. So much for salvage titled cars.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#31]
NO pics or video?

boooooo!
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I remember reading early it was a mechanical issue with the boat, not automotive related. And once the lithium batteries started going, it was a domino effect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds plausible
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#33]
EVs are shipped with thier batteries down charged..there is barely enough juice to move them around.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That sucks, conditions on-bored had to be hellish with all fumes and fires. So much for salvage titled cars.
View Quote

You'd think with the ship being on fire, it would have gotten a little more entertaining.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#35]
What’s the monetary value of cargo? Has to be close to 500 million.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I’d rather it happen on their boat instead of in my garage
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Most recent photo

Everything burned.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's still on that boat.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
EVs are supposed to be shipped with thier batteries down charged..there is barely enough juice to move them around.
View Quote

In bold is the fixed statement. Humans make mistakes. Someone made one here on at least 1 vehicle, or 1 container of vehicles. Enough and spread throughout the cargo to sustain the thermal run-off that clearly happened.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that true?
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the old Vector W2 still works well
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Article I read said the recovery estimate was something like 150 million. Guess they don't have to worry about that now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thank God I didn't have my mail order Lithuanian supermodel deck freighted on the same ship as my Lambo.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I read this in Joe Isuzu's voice.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Global warming and US racism
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 4:10:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
EVs are shipped with thier batteries down charged..there is barely enough juice to move them around.
View Quote

I've seen this as a shipping requirement for shipping Lithion batteries, e.g. <30% charge capacity.  What I don't understand is, discharging a battery doesn't mean you've reduced the amount if flammable fuel by, lets say, 70%, like emptying a gas tank before shipping.  It seems really silly.  I've never heard of a battery spontaneously experiencing thermal runaway merely because of the charge state(not actively being charged), and it certainly wouldn't matter once the darn thing has ignited.  Is this actually a thing, or a feel-good measure by people who think charging a battery actually feels it up with dangerous electricity like a fuel tank?
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Spain claim them yet?
View Quote

??
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's still on that boat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's still on that boat.

Build another one
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just went to SCS. That is probably the most annoying guy I've ever listened to. I couldn't make it more that a couple of minutes.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top