Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2008 10:05:22 AM EDT
I am thinking Apple and Citi just a bit. I think this week is going to be scary.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking a good six-position. Maybe a CAVARMS in dark earth and the new Larue hardware in Urban Dark Earth.

I'm thinking things are going to be REALLY scary.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few ARs already but if the Obamination gets in, more would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive been looking at OSK (Oshkosh, not the child clothing brand) They have tanked recently because they are under investingation for securties fraud. That scares me, but the company isnt going anywhere. They just won a 180 million $ contract with the USMC for amour kits. Im watching the price closely, expecially this week.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Canned goods, toilet paper, water.  Given where you live: lots of insect repellant
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am thinking Apple and Citi just a bit. I think this week is going to be scary.

Banks still seem a bit risky to me at this point...
I want some Apple stock RFN.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Banks still seem a bit risky to me at this point...
I want some Apple stock RFN.

Why Apple? Didnt they just get in trouble with their Itunes software?
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought Apple several months ago at $115/share. It steadily went up to $190/share. I watched it settle off and slowly dip down to around $170. My dumbass didn't put a stop in and just figured it would flucuate a little. Unfortuanetly it took a $24 dive in one day. $95 is a good deal right now

Another stock that should take off again is CLF. Take a look at the charts on this sucker. It seems to be a hell of a bargain right now. This stock will drop and raise $10 a day. If you can ride the wave of buying and selling you can make good money. I was buying and selling this stock when it would go from $95 to $160. With the prices of coal this stock should bounce back soon. CLF has purchased several new mines here in WV and acquired some other companies so the stock has slid quite a bit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Buying stocks for a week is just like renting them with ALOT OF RISK! You must be just playing or already have a nice nest egg right? Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#9]
ibm

sso
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Desperate times call for desperate measures.  

I agree, stock prices were high, ~65$ a share tops, and that was a steady climb from a few years ago.

I'm a share holder, but I fail to see where the allegations stem from.  I mean, look at the economy, most stocks went to shit.  Are we going to be suing every company that took a hit?

Looks like someone's looking for easy money.

I wouldn't mind getting my losses back, but I'd rather earn my money truthfully.

I'll wait to see what comes of it, but I doubt there is much of a case.

Also, I just looked on google, and after that 180mil contract there is a 17.5 mil contract.

Perhaps now they're artificially lowering the price of the stock.  I'm suing!

Quoted:
Ive been looking at OSK (Oshkosh, not the child clothing brand) They have tanked recently because they are under investingation for securties fraud. That scares me, but the company isnt going anywhere. They just won a 180 million $ contract with the USMC for amour kits. Im watching the price closely, expecially this week.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I bought some ABX, Barrick Gold instead of Apple or Citi.  Though I think those two better recover or we are in huge trouble.
Link Posted: 10/7/2008 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Buying individual equities in this market means you have balls of steel. Me, I continue to sit on treasuries.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a thread going on "mad money".  So if you had $5k of mad money, what would you buy to make a quick killing?
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#14]
with only 5000 you need to buy cheap and hope for dramatic moves.

60 % long gold and miners - auy, fcx, sil,

40 % short the dow and s&p - sds, dxd, twm

without a recovery here shortly - within the next few hours, i'm afraid its time to hit the crash button.

eta. i think i'm going to wave off the crash flag for now. don't see it happening this afternoon and i can't sit and watch any longer. the last hour could be volatile though. too bad i'll be sitting in a meeting. we'll see how tomorrow goes. concepts are still valid though. if you got in early you would have done well with the miners today.

eta: today looks to be an up day. holding the shorts is probably a bad idea. gold related may drop as well. there is potential for some bad news today, though so it could be up and down.

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking freddie mac (FRE). For one it's cheap, just over $1.10 right now. if it goes under $1.00 I'm thinking of buying. Second, I don't think a government backed company will ever go under...
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh, sorry forgot one other thing. at one point it was over $20
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#17]
GM?
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Just nibble.

VZ
INTC
BAC
OKE
SO
PG
PFE
JPM
WFC
AAPL
RIMM
HOG
HON
HIG
MXXIX
WTR
BAC.PRV
JPM.PRZ
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#19]
It's going to be scary for about another six months or so. We are not officially in a recession right now. The economic data haven't been publish so there are still more room to drop. If you're going to enter make sure you get companies that are basically monopoly. Like Intel, Microsoft, Apple, Wal-Mart, etc.

Don't buy GM and Ford. They are going die a slow death. Unions and bad management doom it in the early 80's.

Don't buy Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac because there is a good chance that the government will let it die or pull it out of the private market.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#20]
CREE (yea, the same guys who supply those cool LED lights) has been doing pretty good and holding its own... I paid $18.95 for it, it ran up to $27 (when I should have sold it), it's only dipped below my purchase price once during this mess. Only decent pick my broker has made.

I've got two companies that are down 70%. I wanted to pull all my money out in April, my broker talked me into stay in, I got snowed, my fault.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Buy the companies that have strong fundamentals, but whose stock price has been dragged down with the rest of the market.

Caterpillar is one that comes to mind.

RF
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, CAT.
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#23]
index funds
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Yes, CAT.

Wouldnt they be hurt by a recession (i know we arnt in one technically yet). Less construction would mean less sales for them right?
Link Posted: 10/10/2008 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm thinking freddie mac (FRE). For one it's cheap, just over $1.10 right now. if it goes under $1.00 I'm thinking of buying. Second, I don't think a government backed company will ever go under...

Something that is very important for newbies in the investment game to remember:  A company does not have to "go under"   it just has to be "reorganized"  The stroke of a pen and your investment is GONE.  It is an exceedingly common occurance.  There is a reason that cheap stocks are cheap.  Always look for the reason.  When the price on a stock looks too good to be true, it is because all the other investors know something that you don't.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Here is why I think its stupid to buy too much stock now..  Look at a graph of the stock market from 1940 to present day.. Clinton created a false economy and look what happpened to the market.. now, draw a line from the start of the graph to where clinton messed it up.. then continue it on..  where it is SUPPOSED to be... thats when I will consider buying..

We are in for much much more pain folkes..  and buying gold is not the answer.  Want to invest?  Start working on making your house efficient.. install security lights that work correctly and dont suck power, fix leaks, replace a old water heater (or go solar)..   BUy a diesel vehicle and start collecting waste veg oil and mix it with kerosene.. lots of stuff you can do..  oh yeah, and SHUT OFF YOUR DAMN CABLE...   Would you buy a stock if it made you $90 a month?   Well, there you are.  Net flix is the way to go for entertainment if you ask me..  
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#27]
You want a single stk pick RIGHT NOW =Pfizer, yielding abouts 7-8-10%? -->right now. 7% is not bad imo!
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm investigating anything with a low P/E, good EPS and pays dividends.  Take those and do a good objective evaluation of their business prospects and I don't think you can go wrong.  

Two I'm looking at are POT, and MOS.  They've been hit hard, pay a dividend, have good EPS and low P/E and good business prospects.  They're fertilizer companies and I don't see people stopping eating anytime soon.  They also stand to benefit from lower fuel prices both in transportation costs and in their nitrogen fixing operations.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm thinking about getting into some oil stock while it's down and before OPEC comes out of their meeting and cuts production wich may increase the price per barrel.

BUT, ya never know.   then again, some other arab might want another silver plated Mercedes or Rolls.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought some Wachovia but I'm also buying AIG. Yes, they're going to be selling some of their business to pay off the gov't loan but the stock is cheap right now. While I doubt it will rebound to what it used to be ($68.00 per share), I believe it'll go up once they do some restructuring, etc.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#31]
 Since things have dropped so much I'm a bit tired of holding a lot of cash so I've bought AUY,GDX,FCX,EWA,UPL,VLCCF after their recent price drops. I'm putting 30 % into a few oil & gas trusts that mainly hold natural gas and pay out 18% to 25% based on my purchase prices.They have no debt so the credit crisis won't hurt them like it will a lot of other companies. These are CRT, DOM & HGT.I figure if energy prices go down more even if they cut the dividend in half I'll still be doing good. These trusts should do fairly well in a heavy inflation era also.

It is getting tough to keep your money in this out of control financial situation. I'm having real doubts that all the US and world govt. bailouts and injection of huge amounts of cash will work. The runaway inflation that will be created by this mass cash will wipe out anyone with savings. that is one of the main reasons I'm carefully picking my stocks. If the stocks I own become worthless I don't think it will matter things will be a total mess and total SHTF.

Red
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top