Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 2:12:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I put one of these on an AR a couple of years back and have not had any problems with it.
I have to admit that I have not used it much so I can't vouch for durability or how it would hold up
to thousands of rounds fired.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had 2 or 3 Simmons variables and all of them had trouble retaining zero as you changed the magnification. The glass is ok, but I would plan to leave the scope set at one power and not change it until you test the scope and know it will hold zero. The one I have left is a few years old, so maybe they have improved the quality of these scopes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
... I didn't post this in the AR optics section on purpose because of the "gear queers" and "Optics Snobs" who will undoubtedly find their way to this thread....

So I take it my recommendation that you get a $900 Leopold instead is going to fall on deaf ears?  

I have no experience with Simmons, but my personal view is that if you’re going to go low-end (no offence!) on a scope, don’t get a variable.  And I’m not sure a 50MM is the way I’d go either in that price range.

Note that optics are only part of the picture.  Solid internal construction is equally important, and typically what is lacking in less expensive scopes.

Granted, it really does seem to have quite a few good reviews.

I’m not sure what you want this for, but you might also look at some of the fixed power Nikons at SWFA’s used/demo optics site at www.samplelist.com.  I notice this site also has what appears to be the same Simmons scope NIB for the same price.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The main sacrifice on cheaper optics is usually clarity and light transmission.  If there's any way you could pick one up in a store and check it out first I'd recommend it.  It's probably a decent scope but might not be so good at dusk or dawn.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Spend the money on a decent scope.  $100 spent on this thing is $100 that could have been spent on something of quality.  Put the money towards a Vari X II 6-18x40AO leupold.  Even a Nikon can be had relatively cheaply and they build quality scopes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top