Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2009 10:27:16 AM EDT
Last weekend I bought a mint condition Belgium made Browning 9mm Hi Power made in 1981 (commercial gun). The gun is all original and has an original older style FN magazine (I only have the one mag right now - MecGars are on order).

I took it to the range today to shoot it. I brought along some Winchester 9mm FMJ 115 gr value packs, a box of Winchester Silver Tips, and a box of Federal 147 gr flat nose FMJ rounds. The gun fired about 100 rounds of the Winchester FMJ 115 rounds without issue. However, both the Silver-Tips and the Federal flat-nose rounds would not feed at all. Every round would get caught on the very bottom of the feed ramp. Basically, at the bottom of the feed ramp, there is a sharp drop off that is flat, and this is what the nose of the bullet is getting caught on. Not that it would make a difference in this case, but the feed ramp is highly polished.

Is not feeding hollow-points common with the Hi Power, or do you guys think the MecGar mags might improve feeding with hollow-points and flat-nose bullets?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Not feeding hollowpoints is pretty normal on unmolested/older Hipowers...there's a few threads on it on more hipower-centric forums. The feedramp is designed specifically for ball ammo only. You can buy aftermarket barrels that are designed for HP ammo, or you can send it to Novaks or similar to have the proper work done to it..

I seem to recall it being a pretty recent design change (within the last 15 years or so) that they altered the feedramp to be more "other ammo" friendly..
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a new safety feature... no loading dangerous baby-killer bullets
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Seeing you are in Texas...............

Try:

ART Enterprises (Alan Tillman)
1702 Barbara St.
Austin, Texas 78757

512-454-9328

[email protected]

He did work on my 82 BHP and it is SWEET.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Sounds like the 147 might be a bit long.  Try 124s.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#5]
From problem to solution in 3 posts. I love ARFcom!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#6]
The earlier models weren't designed to shoot HPs. Few do without adjustment.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
.................. Not that it would make a difference in this case, but the feed ramp is highly polished.

If this is the case, make sure you have adequate support. If some bubba took too much off it might give you problems down the road if you shoot +P or +P+.

Check out a Bar Sto barrel for Mark III feeding of hollow points..

The MecGars may solve your problem. They hold the round at a more "up" angle than some of the original mags. I'd wait to do anything until I gave them a try first. Might save some $.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Seeing you are in Texas...............

Try:

ART Enterprises (Alan Tillman)
1702 Barbara St.
Austin, Texas 78757

512-454-9328

[email protected]

He did work on my 82 BHP and it is SWEET.

Thanks. What did he do to the gun to make it reliable with hollow-points?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 1961 Belgian and a 50s Inglis. Neither will shoot commercial hollowpoints but I load my own 124gr HP ammo and keep the COAL the same as the FMJ rounds and presto it feeds just fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
.................. Not that it would make a difference in this case, but the feed ramp is highly polished.
........................quote]

If this is the case, make sure you have adequate support. If some bubba took too much off it might give you problems down the road.

I polished the feed ramp with 600 emory cloth before I shot it. No metal was removed other than 10 minutes of rubbing with 600 emory cloth.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#11]
See the edit to my post re: the Mec Gars you ordered.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If this is the case, make sure you have adequate support. If some bubba took too much off it might give you problems down the road if you shoot +P or +P+.

The MecGars may solve your problem. They hold the round at a more "up" angle than some of the original mags. I'd wait to do anything until I gave them a try first. Might save some $.

Thanks. I was hoping that may be the case.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

........................quote]

If this is the case, make sure you have adequate support. If some bubba took too much off it might give you problems down the road.

I polished the feed ramp with 600 emory cloth before I shot it. No metal was removed other than 10 minutes of rubbing with 600 emory cloth.

Older BHP's have an "odd" hump in the barrel's feed ramp which precludes feeding hollow points reliably.  This can be remedied by a good BHPsmith or by fitting an aftermarket barrel as stated previously.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an older unmodified Hi Power that will shoot the Remington 124g HP ammo all day long, it's the ammo that is in the same profile as RN ball ammo, only it has a small hollow point cavity. Check those out with your new mags.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Needs M4 feed ramps.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry for the chopped up replies, I'm multitasking.

Mine came with MecGars, and they're the only ones I've bought since then.

I've loaded Speer Gold Dots, 115 and 124 grain with no problems.

If you're not familiar with this site-
http://hipowersandhandguns.com

it has a lot of info on HiPowers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Needs M4 feed ramps.

It also needs a fully-parkerized mil-spec upper !  
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I concur re the magazines.  Before spending a couple hundred dollars gunsmithing and replacing parts, try the mags.  That often works.  Only if it doesn't will you need to resort to spending serious money.  Also, as somebody else has suggested, try different ammo, with OAL close to ball.  If all else fails, see if you can get your hands on some Federal EFMJ –– a hollow point with a think hardball jacket covering the cavity.  It is designed for pants-wetting jurisdictions where evil baby-killing hollow points are verboten.  Terminal ballistics not as good as "real" hollow points, but better than ball.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Needs M4 feed ramps.

Now you're talking!  Add an ACOG and you're done!
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I had an older (1982) HP that had the humped feedramp.  It was fussy about hollowpoints.  If the bullet shape and length were similar to ball it would feed.  large cavity hollowpoints and it would  choke.  

Try the MecGar mags, but if you want a truly reliable HP, get with the flat feedramp gang.  If I had that older one back, I would get a newer ramped barrel or smith it flat.

My MKIII runs everything I've put in it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Needs M4 feed ramps.

IT also has to be parkerized under the FSB
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:17:27 PM EDT
[#23]
The only feed issues I've encountered with my '81 BHP were mag related. I got some relatively inexpensive mags from a funshow and now it hums right along with anything. I DID install a heavier recoil spring (Wolf brand) before I figgered out it was the magazine.

But then again, I have a bottom-of-the-line SA 1911A1 that chugs along without the usual "work that's gotta be done to a 1911 to make it shoot correctly".

I must be living right on these two.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Beat me to it!

The O.P.'s Hi-Power missed the cut off for the modern feed ramp. Mine was made in the late 80's and will digest anything I throw at her.

Try new mags first then purchase a new barrel if that doesn't help.

Konger

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Needs M4 feed ramps.

IT also has to be parkerized under the FSB

Someone needs to break out the BHP chart so we can see which BHP is best.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Great info guys. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#27]
What is the vertical line on the top barrel?

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What is the vertical line on the top barrel?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/DriftPunch/hpline.jpg

Factory FN/Browning two piece barrel.

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a FEG Hi-Power clone a few years ago that was giving me similar feeding issues, but all I had was either cheap Promags or the even cheaper OEM Hungarian mag.  I switched to some of those surplus 17 round mags, and that cleared up all of the feeding issues... mainly because those mags have the super-duper HeMan spring from Hell.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#30]
One of my Hi Powers ( I've only got two, unfortunately) is a 1968 T series and loves to eat Remington Golden Saber and Speer Gold Dots.

I think, because these bullets are shaped and rounded like a fmj round and  they are not too truncated.

Try some and see how they work for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top