Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2002 6:27:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/WhiskeyBravo%2Ftoaster%252FBS1%252Egif%2Egif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like their rifles
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anybody lost track of the fact that these same tanks went into Iraq with us last time and somehow managed to not fall apart.....This sounds kinda like Whitehall anti war, left wing B.S., "look'in for a reason not to go to Iraq", to me
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
that sounds about right to me Fearandloathing.

Challengers worked just fine 11 years ago. Sounds like sabatoge, or they havent been spending enough to keep them serviced.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The British and machinery don't mix.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The British tanks had major problems in Iraq the last time around. During the run-up to the war they were replacing power packs something like every 10 miles. They eventually got better.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Their damn rifles don't work either!

The Brits should either leave weapons design to the experts or stay away from desert operations.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:11:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Lets see,
Their SA-80's won't work,
Their Challangers won't work,
Their Soldiers stop fighting for "Tea Time"
WTF are they doing there??

I betcha their Tornados are next, right after their Pave-Low's.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:22:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't forget British sports cars and Lucas electrical parts.

Frankly, I think they should send Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in place of the tanks.  The enemy will take one look at their faces, have the bejezus scared out of them, and quickly surrender.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Frankly, I think they should send Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in place of the tanks.  The enemy will take one look at their faces, have the bejezus scared out of them, and quickly surrender.
View Quote

BWAAAAAHAAHAAHAA!!!!

Now that's funny!

Q: Why didn't the Brits ever develop a computer?

A: They couldn't figure out how to get it to leak oil!!

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:37:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

[size=5]AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! The pain!, It burns![/size=5]
Geesh!, Do I remember that!

View Quote

Humm!, great Idea! But I'd use Michael Jackson instead. That way if he gets shot at it's no great loss/ the parts are replaceable. [;)]

Tall Shadow

edited cuz it'z erly and i'M tIred!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#12]
We aren't going to need them for Iraq.  Why waste the diesel fuel?  Better we should save it for our M1A2s.

If we get our butts involved in a "coalition" again, then we have to consider the geopolitics of that alliance.

Anyone want to review the wonderful successes the Monty and the Brits had during the Normandy Campaign and the drive north to Germany..hmmmm?  How about failure to take Caen quickly and anchor the entire breakout?  How about failure to close the Falais gap?  How about Market-Garden?  Had Bradley and Patton been given the fuel, ammo, and food wasted on Monty's cockamamie ideas, we might have been able to end the war months earlier...and possibly even prevented the Battle of the Bulge, which turned out to be the biggest campaign on the Western Front.

About tea time?  Absolutely true.  The most ridiculous story I ever heard about that practice is the story of how a Tiger tank commander, one SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Michael Wittmann, the most successful and famous tank commander of World War II, and a couple of other Tiger crews, wiped out...yes WIPED OUT an entire British 4th County of London Yeomanry Regiment at a small town in Normandy called Villers Bocage.  Yes...an entire REGIMENT of tanks, trucks, jeeps armored cars and half tracks...plus a coupld of hundred infantry KIA/WIA/MIA.  Seems that the Brits had entered the town about 1600...just in time for tea.  Wittman recce'd the Brits dismounted, noted their long column disposition along the road in the town and though greatly outnumbered...(I think he had four Tigers total plus a company of dismounted infantry.), Wittman decided to attack, rather than retire or wait for support.  He sent two of his Tigers around the ends of the town and he and one other Tiger drove right up on the Brits who happened to be dismounted, brewing up their afternoon tea!  Wittman's first shot wiped out the lead Brit Sherman.  His mate's first shot took out the last vehicle, another Sherman.  The street was narrow, preventing maneuvering by the now trapped British armored regiment.  For about twenty minutes, Wittman and his mates just drove up and down the street, wiping out the entire British column.  The carnage must have been incredible.  The Brits do talk about that battle even today on their web sites.  They do credit Wittman for being the best tanker ever and acknowledge their terrible loss that day.

Contrary to what I've said here...I really do like the Brits...but they sometimes do the goofiest shit!  Consider the rising crime rate because nobody but perps can own guns now!  Amazing fools the English.

[b][blue]Edited to fix a mistake:[/b][blue]

Wittman had a total of six Tiger tanks at his disposal not three as I thought when the battle of Villers Bocage began.  Two of his Tigers were disabled in the battle, but the crews survived.  The damage to the British forces was even worse than I first thought.  Wittman's destruction of a significant part of the British 7th Armored Division destroyed their morale and virtually knocked the entire division out of the war.  Here is a very detailed explanation of the fight on a British military history web site:  [url]http://www.strategos.demon.co.uk/D-Day/Epsom.htm[/url]

This disastrous failure of the British to take and hold Villers Bocage against the inevitable German counterattack was a major reason Monty couldn't take Caen as planned, bogging down the entire Normandy campaign.

Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Jeez, I'm begining to wonder if my Lotus is the only working peice of heavy equipment to ever come out of the UK....
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Lucas was called "Prince of Darkness" because of their electrical parts' high failure rate.  Surprisingly, they are still in business, last time I checked.

Bismark once commented that should England land its army in Germany, he will have the local constables go and arrest them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The British and machinery don't mix.
View Quote

Or the Brits and anything.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Regarding the Brits and machines this is a true story.

Scientists at NASA built a gun specifically to launch dead chickens at the windshields of airliners, military jets and the  space shuttle, all traveling at maximum velocity.

The idea is to simulate the frequent incidents of collisions with airborne fowl to test the strength of the windshields.

British engineers heard about the gun and were eager to test it on the windshields of their new high speed trains.

Arrangements were made, and a gun was sent to the British engineers. When the gun was fired, the engineers stood shocked as the chicken hurled out of the barrel, crashed into the shatterproof shield, smashed it  to smithereens, blasted through the control console, snapped the engineer's back-rest in two and embedded itself in the back wall of  the cabin, like an arrow shot from a bow.

The horrified Brits sent NASA the disastrous results of the experiment, along with the designs of the windshield and begged the US  scientists for suggestions.

You're going to love this......

NASA responded with a one-line memo: "Defrost the chicken."
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"Defrost the chicken."
View Quote

lol that would make a great sig line
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Urban Legend

[URL]http://www.snopes.com/science/cannon.htm[/URL]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Three Tiger tanks against a regiment of British soldiers and Shermans? Sounds like he had three Tigers in reserve, talk about being overgunned at a party.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Three Tiger tanks against a regiment of British soldiers and Shermans? Sounds like he had three Tigers in reserve, talk about being overgunned at a party.
View Quote

As I state above in my editorial addendum...you're right.  Wittman had six Tigers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#21]
One Tiger ought to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top