Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2002 2:15:52 PM EDT
[url]http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20020723-095549-7709r.htm[/url]

"On a dusty, hot hilltop in Afghanistan in May a group of British and U.S. Marines came under fire from suspected al Qaida militants and they returned fire. The American M-16s fired perfectly, the British Marines' SA-80 A2s didn't, suffering several stoppages."

My AR really is reliable!  (They didn't have to tell me that anyway.  In my informal test, 800+rounds w/o cleaning and no stoppages yet.  Starting to get a little iffy on accuracy though)

Amazing that the bureaucraps can't let it go and acknowledge that the SA-80 is a failure.  They keep dumping more money into this thing just to prove their initial decision to adopt it wasn't wrong.  

It's like re-engineering and rebuilding a Yugo until its reliable when you simply could have bought a reliable Toyota in the first place.  

Or, when you first realized the Yugo was crap, cut your losses, dumped the Yugo, and then bought a Toyota.  You'd stil be ahead.    Sheesh!
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw this story a while ago and I'm surprised that they didn't interview our DoD guys and get their comments!  I mean really...if the Brits are going to be covering our asses, we'll need them to be able to FIGHT and not throw their weapons at the enemy.  I'm surprised Washington hasn't stepped in and told the Brits to get their shit together or atleast LEND our guns to them while they're in our combat zones.  That would also lead to the ability to cross over ammo, mags and other equipment with ease.

Wierd story, it seems as though its missing pieces.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't really know just what to make of it.

Especially when the article made it clear that SAS operators were sourcing other weapons--notably M-16s and M-4s--even though they were officially supposed to be using the SA-80s.

I think maybe the British DoD guys are just hanging on and being stubborn, at the expense of fighting readiness.  Sounds real inside and political--kind of like the whole Krag thing our War Dept. went through early last century.    
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a page from the British automobile industry.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Begs the question: What can the Brits build that's dependable?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:15:50 PM EDT
[#5]
What's a "Canadian Colt DeMaco C8?"
Thanks,
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's a "Canadian Colt DeMaco C8?"
Thanks,
View Quote
canadion m16?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The British SAS are using Canadian C-7's which is their version of the M-16A2 but is even more reliable than the American version.
View Quote

I believe its actually more like an HBAR M16A1 with A2 furniture.

If there are enough brits, then it wouldnt matter if their guns are jamming, unless they all jam at the same time. [whacko]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
The Diemaco C8 Carbine:
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-c8.gif[/img]

The Diemaco C8 Heavy Barrel Carbine:
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-c8fthb.gif[/img]

The Diemaco C8 Special Forces Weapon:
[img]http://www.diemaco.com/images/sal-sfw.gif[/img]

There's more.  Go to the [url=www.diemaco.com]Diemaco website[/url]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Does the SA-80 take STANAG magazines?
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top