User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/9/2012 2:42:13 PM EDT

I sometimes find myself at work whistling this and no one knows what it is

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
they don't recognize the tune because they're all assholes.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
David Lean is the man
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Also they didn't have family who lived through WWII. I knew about this song from a early age except I remember the lyrics that went along with it.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow it's been a long time since I have seen that movie.

GM
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
picked up the bluray when it came out last year.  great movie....

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also they didn't have family who lived through WWII. I knew about this song from a early age except I remember the lyrics that went along with it.

Funny you mention this as I was just whistling that a few days ago.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
picked up the bluray when it came out last year.  great movie....  

One of my favorites...
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#8]
First post and all that
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]
"Kill him. Kill him"
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I still don't understand why Obi Wan didn't just force choke that Japanese colonel.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
We used to get in trouble for whistling the theme while marching to class when I was in Technical School at Keesler AFB.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Bridge on the River Kwai and Planet of the Apes are 2 of my favorite movies.

I can't think of one without thinking of the other, for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]
While I was in Vietnam my dad (a WWII vet) got me a 7 day leave to join him in Thailand- he was there on business.

It was a week I will always remember.  We took the train to Kanchanaburi and visited the scene of the bridge.  The Allied cemetery there was very inspiring, as both of us were military.  The had displays of a truck converted to run the rails and much to see.  

Before I left Vietnam I bought a Canon camera from a guy returning from R&R.  I took several rolls of film, sent them home to be developed, not one picture turned out.  The camera was defective.  Oh well.  Memories for sure.  Go there if you ever get the opportunity.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Kenneth Alford's Colonel Boogey's March

I like his "Eagle Squadron" too

There was an incident in the 70s or 80s when the Japanese Prime Minister visited Canada.  The Canadian Military band on the lawn was playing Colenel Boogey.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:07:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome movie.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Colonel Boogy March
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:18:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
...I knew about this song from a early age except I remember the lyrics that went along with it.

Comet. It makes your face turn green.
Comet. It tastes like gasoline.
Comet,
It makes you vomit.
So buy some Comet and vomit, today!
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Over 1 million views
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...I knew about this song from a early age except I remember the lyrics that went along with it.

Comet,

It makes you vomit.

Hitler has only got one ball.

And that one is not much good at all.

Himmler is very similar.

And Goebbels has no balls at all.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Excellent album (4 discs) with the themes from a boatload of war movies:

Album name: The Longest Day

Record Label: Silva Screen Records Limited
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]
"BLOW UP THE BRIDGE???????"

"You...!"

"You...!"

"My God.... what have I done?"
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#24]
There are now plans to reopen the railway now that Myanmar isn't such a pariah.  I was reading about that just this past week.

Excellent movie, btw.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#25]
The wife and I walked across that bridge back in 1992, really beautiful area.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#26]
The bridge, allied cemeteries and Hellfire Pass are humbling places.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#27]
I quite often say the single word "Madness" at work.
I don't think anyone gets it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Hitler has only one right ball/Georing has two but they are small/Himler has something sim’lar/but Goebbels has no balls at all”
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Never seen this movie. I need to remedy that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There was an incident in the 70s or 80s when the Japanese Prime Minister visited Canada.  The Canadian Military band on the lawn was playing Colenel Boogey.

Is this where I am supposed to admit that I think that Alford wrote far better marches than Sousa?

Great movie ranking up there with another of my Guinness favorites, "Tunes of Glory."

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Winners, grow up with Malt-O-Meal.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Comet,
It makes you vomit.

Scrotum, it is a piece of skin
Scrotum, it holds my testes in
Scrotum
So I can tote 'em
Tucked between my legs so I don't hurt 'em.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#34]
That is a great movie, but I must admit, the first time I heard that tune was watching the original Parent Trap with Hayley Mills as a kid.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Never seen this movie. I need to remedy that.

It's an exceptional movie.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this where I am supposed to admit that I think that Alford wrote far better marches than Sousa?

Great movie ranking up there with another of my Guinness favorites, "Tunes of Glory."

Actually, that 25 years between them, and maybe 40 years between their polific peiods (1890s for Sousa, 1930s (28-42) for Alford –– Although I looked up Bogey's as 1914), makes a lot of differrence.  The late Alford marchs were written in the big band era, and the arrangements are tighter and more complex, like all the music then.  Hoiwever, Alford couldn't have done his without the Soasa blazing the way.

ETA:  misc spelling –– I would start a Sousa vs Alford thread, but we would get what, three posts?  
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

fuckin' A.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#38]
The only thing I can think of when I watch it now is POW's who were there saying how retarded the movie was. They said there was no fucking whistling as they were beaten and starved to death. And the Japs knew how to build the bridge, the POWs were expendable slave labor.
One story that sticks with me is an American POW saying how they were burning the bodies of cholera victims, and he threw his dead best friend on the fire, and the heat made the body sit up and turn/twist to look at him.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ignorant in the extreme IMO. (those who don't recognize this tune)
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, that 25 years between them, and maybe 40 years between their polific peiods (1890s for Sousa, 1930s (28-42) for Alford –– Although I looked up Bogey's as 1914), makes a lot of differrence.  The late Alford marchs were written in the big band era, and the arrangements are tighter and more complex, like all the music then.  Hoiwever, Alford couldn't have done his without the Soasa blazing the way.

ETA:  misc spelling –– I would start a Sousa vs Alford thread, but we would get what, three posts?  

Maybe four?

I tend to chuckle when I hear UK military bands play Sousa marches, as you rarely hear US bands playing those by Alford.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe four?

I tend to chuckle when I hear UK military bands play Sousa marches, as you rarely hear US bands playing those by Alford.

High School bands tend to (at least on the West Coast) –– good saxaphone parts.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The only thing I can think of when I watch it now is POW's who were there saying how retarded the movie was. They said there was no fucking whistling as they were beaten and starved to death. And the Japs knew how to build the bridge, the POWs were expendable slave labor.

One story that sticks with me is an American POW saying how they were burning the bodies of cholera victims, and he threw his dead best friend on the fire, and the heat made the body sit up and turn/twist to look at him.

Yes, I vaguely remember something like this too––––that the idea that they would outdo themselves to build a railroad for captors that were starving and abusing them rankled some of the vets. . . The idea that they would take pride in that insulted them. . From what I've read they tried to sabotage whenever and whatever they could that they were building, if they thought they could get away with it. . .

Read "A Doctor's War" recently––––memoir of a very young Australian medical officer that was "surrendered" by the British garrison at Singapore. . .He eventually ended up in Thailand building that railway. . . .Lots of miserableness. . . .and no whistling. . good book. . worth reading. . .

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I vaguely remember something like this too––––that the idea that they would outdo themselves to build a railroad for captors that were starving and abusing them rankled some of the vets. . . The idea that they would take pride in that insulted them. . From what I've read they tried to sabotage whenever and whatever they could that they were building, if they thought they could get away with it. . .

Read "A Doctor's War" recently––––memoir of a very young Australian medical officer that was "surrendered" by the British garrison at Singapore. . .He eventually ended up in Thailand building that railway. . . .Lots of miserableness. . . .and no whistling. . good book. . worth reading. . .

The movie was never meant to be historical.  It presents a "what if" type situation and allows a study of the human condition.  It's use of skilled labor as a tool to maintain ones  dignity and as a folksy connection to one's superior sense of culture is hardly original, even in prison stories.  You can see similar psychological themes in Solzhenitsyn's "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" which came out a few years later.  Funny, as people accuse him also of downplaying the misery of the Gulags.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#44]
The Colonel Bogie March it is called. I believe.

That's the whistling, right? No sound at the present.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Colonel Boogy March

Bogey.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The movie was never meant to be historical.  It presents a "what if" type situation and allows a study of the human condition.  It's use of skilled labor as a tool to maintain ones  dignity and as a folksy connection to one's superior sense of culture is hardly original, even in prison stories.  You can see similar psychological themes in Solzhenitsyn's "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" which came out a few years later.  Funny, as people accuse him also of downplaying the misery of the Gulags.
It may have never meant to be historical, but what it meant, and what most people took away from the movie seem to be two different things.  Many people THINK that it was "the way it was", and have never read any accounts of men who were there. . .

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It may have never meant to be historical, but what it meant, and what most people took away from the movie seem to be two different things.  Many people THINK that it was "the way it was", and have never read any accounts of men who were there. . .

Would it be fair to say that To End All Wars was a more accurate portrayal of 'the way it was'?

eta: I know the movie is based on a true story, but was the true story representative of 'average' prison camp life, and is the movie faithful to the original story?
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

People who think Vietnam was like Apocalypse now, or Good Morning America equally need their head examined, that does't take away from the work of art the is "The Bridge on the River Kwai."  FWIW, nobody can study "oriental languages" at Oxford and communicate fluently with some random remote village girl in Burma.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Guy I work with sometimes whistles it. I'm the only other peron who knows what it is. I also have a very old record of Victory at Sea that has this on it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#50]
what a great movie

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top