Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2004 5:18:54 PM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with this disease?  My Mom was just diagnosed, and I'm really worried.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not as important as AIDS, so no cure will be found, which is reasonable given AIDS is a more devastating disease.

Sorry bud if it ain't AIDS, it ain't gonna be cured.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunately, I do. IM me for details, but they are not promising...God Bless.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on how far along it is shark'.

There's a whole webfull of sites devoted to information on it though.

My Grandmother was diagnosed with it in the early '70's and had to have a radical Mastectomy.  They got it though because she lived another 20 yrs and died from emphysema at 82.

Good luck man and prayers sent for your Mom.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
My mom beat BC. 10 years later it came back in her liver. I guess that is not uncommon. Best wishes for your mom.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife has been treated for breast cancer for the last five years, she's currently stage 4 with bone mets.  IM me if you'd like to talk about it.  There's a lot of good information on the web too - start here: Susan Komen web site
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My sister is having her second round of surgery next week.  It came back in the exact same spot, but fortunately it doesn't look like it has spread to any bones or organs.

There are different kinds of breast cancer, and younger women (like my sister) apparently tend to get the more aggressive varieties that feed on estrogen. Older women can have an easier time with it, particularly if they're post-menopausal.

Of course, "easy" is a pretty relative term with something like this.

Good luck and God bless.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The City of Hope of Durate, Calif(20 miles east of Los Angeles) is one of the foremost places to cure cancer. They specialize in breast cancer.
Check out their web site:
www.cityofhope.com/
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends upon stage. A good friend of mine got it early and beat it. Prayers to you
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#9]
My Mother was first diagnosed with it at the age of 75, which resulted in her having a mastectomy. She was in remission for about 6 years when she was diagnosed with lung cancer, which she also beat. As has been mentioned, the most important part about beating cancer is early detection, which will greatly increase her odds of survival.

There are victories, so keep that in mind!

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The issue is how far it has progressed.  Check on the web as there are many informative sites.  Also, have her doctor really explain in which stage it is.

Attitude is important and support from all those around her.

There are victories.  Always remember that.  I had a long battle with bladder cancer. it is a different situation, but the struggle itself was similar.  My advantages were that it was diagnosed in time, a terrific doctor, and I decided that I am a tough old dog and too tough for cancer.  Attitude does help.

Very best wishes from someone else who has been there.  My prayers are for her.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#11]
The one I know had excellent results at Magee-Womens Hospital in Pittsburgh.  God Bless.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank s for all the prayers and well-wishes, guys.  You all are good firends.  I'm just trying to be strong for my Mom--but it's hard.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, my sister had it several years ago.  She lost both breasts but is 100% cancer free.  That was several years ago and she is still fine.  She also had breast reconstruction surgery.

Breast cancer is easily beatable if caught soon enough.

Sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top