Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 6:23:38 AM EDT
This just came over the radio (WSB Atlanta).  No details yet.  Anyone know anything?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:26:37 AM EDT
[#1]
So much for for "Security"  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:28:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The only other detail was that several gunmen in fatigues stormed the offices to take the hostages.  Still listening.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#3]
link

Gunmen Kidnap Iraqi Security Workers

AP Photo/KARIM KADIM

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Gunmen in camouflage uniforms stormed the offices of a private security company Wednesday and kidnapped as many as 50 employees, police reported.

The attackers hit the al-Rawafid Security Co., a private Iraqi-owned business, at 4:30 p.m. and forced the workers into seven vehicles, including several white SUVs, said Interior Ministry Maj. Felah Al-Mohammedawi.

The company is located in the mixed Sunni-Shiite Zayouna neighborhood in eastern Baghdad.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Oops.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:31:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Fox has said nothing of this so far.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:31:54 AM EDT
[#6]
No shooting involved? Some security
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#7]
BBC

Gunmen seize 50 Iraq security men  

The bodies found in the minibus were taken to a morgue
Gunmen dressed in Iraqi police uniforms have raided the offices of a security firm in Baghdad, seizing 50 employees.

Among those captured on Wednesday is the head of the private al-Rawafed firm. The incident happened in the eastern Zayouna district of the city.

It came after the bodies of 20 men were found dumped in the Iraqi capital.

Eighteen were left strangled or shot in a minibus in a western area populated mainly by Sunni Arabs. Two were found in east Baghdad tied up and shot.

Iraq has suffered a rise in sectarian attacks since a Shia shrine was bombed last month - but it is not clear if this was the cause.

However, the dumping of bodies has previously been a sign of the violence between minority Sunni Arab and majority Shia groups.

In other violence:

Two policemen are killed and five people hurt in a roadside bombing in central Baghdad.

Another roadside bomb targets a convoy of Iraqi Interior Minister Bayan Jabr in central Baghdad, killing two people, police and ministry sources say. The minister is not present.

At least two people are killed in a car bomb in the western town of Falluja, police say.

The US military says one of its soldiers was killed and four others wounded on Tuesday by a roadside bomb as their patrol passed in Tal Afar, north-west of Mosul.

Civilian clothes

An Iraqi security patrol found the abandoned bus on the road between Amiriyah and Khadra, two mainly Sunni districts of west Baghdad.

The men were found bound and blindfolded, officials said.

Police said the bodies had no identification papers on them. Some reports said two of the men looked like foreign Arabs.

The bodies have been taken to a morgue at the city's Yarmouk hospital.

Hospital sources told AP news agency that the deaths appeared recent and that two of the victims had been shot while the others were strangled.

The men were dressed in civilian clothes and ranged from young to middle-aged.

The bombing of the shrine at Samarra on 22 February and subsequent reprisals, in which more than 400 people have died, have sparked fears of civil war.

US ambassador to Iraq Zalmay Khalilzad said on Tuesday the country remained vulnerable to insurgents' attempts to exploit the political uncertainty caused by the bombing.

"There is a concerted effort to provoke civil war," he said.

Mr Khalilzad told the Los Angeles Times the US-led invasion in 2003 had opened "the Pandora's box" of tensions in Iraq.

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said he did not believe a civil war was going on in Iraq, although admitted that such danger remained.

Iraq's parliament is set to sit on Sunday for the first time since the December elections.

But wrangling between Shia, Sunni Arab and Kurdish parties, particularly over the choice by the Shia-led bloc of Ibrahim Jaafari as prime minister, has cast doubt on the formation of any government of national unity.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#8]
THEY DIDN'T HAVE GUNS AT WORK?  
what nut job thought that up?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Okay, I was afraid at first this was going to be a headline like "50 Blackwater Mercenaries Held Hostage in Iraq" . . . this is terrible as it is but I am glad there are likely no Americans involved.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#10]
How the hell you gonna take 50 security employees hostage? That just don't make no damn sense.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Uh, when I go to work for the National Guard, we don't have guns.  Staying the night at the armory makes me feel naked knowing any nutjob could waltz on in and start spraying.

ETA, well, the .mil weapons are here, but the ammo is far, far away.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:46:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1

Oh, no guns, we wouldn't want to scare anyone - agntsa!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Okay, I was afraid at first this was going to be a headline like "50 Blackwater Mercenaries Held Hostage in Iraq" . . . this is terrible as it is but I am glad there are likely no Americans involved.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thats what I was thinking. I was like how the hell do you "Capture" 50 armed PMC's

But its an Iraqi companiy so...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Firstly, they aren't mercenaries.

Secondly, the Blackwater folks wouldn't have gone that quietly.

The bad guys know what Blackwater is. The BW folks know this.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:43:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Shit, I thought there were some contractors in trouble.

Phew.

- BG
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Shit, I thought there were some contractors in trouble.

Phew.

- BG

+1 let the ragheads fuck themselves, who cares?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#20]
..........they supplied "security" to others..........but not themselves?.........OH, now I get it!......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top