Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 5:37:30 AM EDT
Border Patrol agent missing near Yuma

Alfred J. Hernandez/(Yuma) Sun

Divers seek Border Patrol Agent James Epling, who vanished Tuesday on the Colorado River.

Susan Carroll
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 18, 2003 12:00 AM

YUMA - A U.S. Border Patrol agent was missing late Wednesday more than 24 hours after vanishing while in pursuit of a group of undocumented immigrants along the Colorado River.

Rescue workers combed a two-mile stretch of the river and waded through thick brush searching for Agent James Epling, 24, who disappeared at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in a remote area south of Yuma.

By late Wednesday night, agents had found no sign of Epling, a father of three whose wife is eight months pregnant.

Epling was credited with pulling a Chinese woman from the swift-moving water before running off in pursuit of other members of her group along a trail that borders the river, said Joe Brigman, a spokesman for the Yuma Sector Border Patrol.

"He went right down into the river and got her out and transferred her to the other (agents), and then he took off after the others," he said. "And that was the last time he was seen."

On Tuesday night, agents caught four members of the group, which they thought included up to eight undocumented immigrants. Of the four immigrants in federal custody, one was a Mexican national and the others were Chinese, said Chief Patrol Agent Michael C. Nicley.

At the peak of the search, more than 75 rescue workers from the Border Patrol and local agencies combed the river, which separates Arizona and California.

Using hovercraft and pontoon boats, teams of scuba divers searched the murky river until nightfall, when visibility grew too poor, officials said. Through the night, boats dragged the bottom of the river, which was wider than 100 yards in some stretches.

"We're still holding out hope that we'll find him alive," Brigman said, standing at a makeshift search command center more than 24 hours after Epling disappeared.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:41:20 AM EDT
[#1]
This shit has got to stop.

[pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed][pissed]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:42:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Agreed !
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:48:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Wait a minute, wait a minute. Chinese? Has Mexico actually *run out* of people to sneak across the border and now they have to subcontract out? Or has Beijing simply promised to return Texas to Mexico after they get enough troops across the border?

WTF?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:58:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wait a minute, wait a minute. Chinese? Has Mexico actually *run out* of people to sneak across the border and now they have to subcontract out? Or has Beijing simply promised to return Texas to Mexico after they get enough troops across the border?

WTF?
View Quote

Makes you think, doesn't it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:01:24 AM EDT
[#6]
He should have let the river wash them out out to sea.

Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:02:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Time to build a wall, a mine field, and another wall.

-HS
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#9]
If it turns out that the ones that he pursued are responsible for his (possible) death they should be summarily executed and left for the buzzards.

This MUST end.

Every time I read a story like this I have to fight down an urge to load up my gear and head for the desert.

This IS war whether the politicians want to say so or not.  If ANY local, state or federal agency said that they were forming a civilian organization to combat this invasion I would be there in a heartbeat.

I can dream, can’t I?.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank goodness the repubs are in control...they'll fix this problem...

Bush will prolly OPEN the southern Border, and amnesty for all, (social security too!!)!!!  [ROFL]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#11]
KeithC - we get ALL nationalities crossing the border here. I was reading not to long ago (I believe it was in the Sierra Vista AZ paper)   that some aliens documents were found in that part of the state (a big hot spot for smuggling illegals)that were written in Arabic. Now that should make you wonder.....
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?
View Quote

View Quote

No, it doesn't

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If it turns out that the ones that he pursued are responsible for his (possible) death they should be summarily executed and left for the buzzards.

This MUST end.

Every time I read a story like this I have to fight down an urge to load up my gear and head for the desert.

This IS war whether the politicians want to say so or not.  If ANY local, state or federal agency said that they were forming a civilian organization to combat this invasion I would be there in a heartbeat.

I can dream, can’t I?.
View Quote

Why wait there are several civilian organisations that patrol the border. If you want contact info let me know I'll put you in contact with someone.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:06:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Of course not! Just relax, everybody. You're just being ignorant, paranoid racists!

Now, if I don't get to post again, comrades, have a joyous capitalist winter holiday and kung hei fat - um, I mean, "happy new year".

Seriously, though, I'm holding out hope for Agent Epling and his family.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Anybody up for another Precision Rifle meet, this time down on the river?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anybody up for another Precision Rifle meet, this time down on the river?
View Quote

I'm in, I need to test some new loads I made for my 300 Reminton Ultra Mag.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:19:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This MUST end.

I can dream, can’t I?.
View Quote

Why wait there are several civilian organisations that patrol the border. If you want contact info let me know I'll put you in contact with someone.
View Quote

Oh, I'm very much aware of those orgs.

Problem is that there is a rising drumbeat in the media and among politically motivated prosecutors and LEO’s to target them as racist, redneck, gun nut, xenophobic militia types… and it’s working.  We just had a couple of good people trying to do what’s right plead to felonies a couple of weeks ago for apprehending and detaining illegals in AZ.

That’s why I was joking about the Government actually *allowing* citizens to take up arms and defend the border.  It’s clear that anyone doing so exposes themselves to great risk from our own Government. It’s a risk that I’m not currently in a position to take.  However, later next year circumstances may allow me the freedom to back up my feelings with tangible action.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This MUST end.

I can dream, can’t I?.
View Quote

View Quote

Oh, I'm very much aware of those orgs.

Problem is that there is a rising drumbeat in the media and among politically motivated prosecutors and LEO’s to target them as racist, redneck, gun nut, xenophobic militia types… and it’s working.  We just had a couple of good people trying to do what’s right plead to felonies a couple of weeks ago for apprehending and detaining illegals in AZ.

That’s why I was joking about the Government actually *allowing* citizens to take up arms and defend the border.  It’s clear that anyone doing so exposes themselves to great risk from our own Government. It’s a risk that I’m not currently in a position to take.  However, later next year circumstances may allow me the freedom to back up my feelings with tangible action.
View Quote

Well seeing as I'd get into trouble for saying what I really feel about this whole thing, I'll say this.
Nope won't say that either.
Ok. Much like you the BS the government is doing has me hesitant to go and do anything myself. But should I decide to I have at least one person who I do trust as not being a reacist bigoted fucktard who I would go help out. I have a problem with RR right now and their little offshoot group, as the national director of the splitnter group is a member of the christian identity movement. I won't support a group working the border if it's run by folks who have ties to know racist groups. I don't feel they are doing what they are doing for the right reasons. Perhaps Airwolf we will run into each other on the border one day. I'm still hoping to get to Arizona this summer or early fall to see the situation for myself and help in whatever way I can. If I'll be able to I don't know yet. But I want to.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
KeithC - we get ALL nationalities crossing the border here. I was reading not to long ago (I believe it was in the Sierra Vista AZ paper)   that some aliens documents were found in that part of the state (a big hot spot for smuggling illegals)that were written in Arabic. Now that should make you wonder.....
View Quote

Not just Arabic.  Chechens have been noted and this is just the tip of the iceberg.  How can you tell the difference between Arabs and Mexicans?  If the Arabs take the Berlitz Spanish, they would have the accents spot on.

Look for an upcoming article on this in SoF.  Specifically Ranch Rescue.  There have been many border incursions by the Mexican Army, most of which are courtesy rides for drug smugglers.  Time for some anti-vehicle mines.  Caltrops.

The liberal gorons think the landowners are at fault and immigration should be a right.  Dammit, if I want caltrops on my land, its my fvcking right.

Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Foul play not ruled out in agent disappearence

By DARREN SIMON, Staff Writer

Friday, December 19, 2003 3:37 PM PST

YUMA — Federal authorities have not ruled out the possibility of foul play in the disappearance of a Yuma Sector Border Patrol agent missing since Tuesday night.

The FBI has taken part in the investigation since the outset of the search for Border Patrol Agent James Epling.

FBI agents from the El Centro and Yuma offices have been aiding the Border Patrol in the investigation, said Jan Caldwell, an FBI spokeswoman based in San Diego. She said the FBI is looking into the case from the standpoint of a "potential assault on a federal officer."

Caldwell said Thursday: "Right now it is an open investigation."

Federal authorities said Thursday they cannot yet rule out any scenarios in their investigation, including the possibility of foul play. Border Patrol officials say they will not stop until Epling is found.

Epling, whose wife is pregnant, was last seen by other agents Tuesday night as he went south along a trail at the edge of the Colorado River as he pursued a group of undocumented immigrants.

Moments before that, Epling had entered the river to help an immigrant, a Chinese woman, who was struggling in the water. She was among three Chinese immigrants and one Mexican immigrant captured by Border Patrol agents around that time. Reportedly there were others in the group who headed south back toward Mexico.

After helping the woman up the river bank and handing her off to another agent, Epling went back down the bank and onto the trail along the river edge.

Border Patrol Agent Jim Brigman said as Epling headed south after the group, other agents lost sight of him and he has not been seen since.

A larger-scale rescue effort was launched Tuesday night and air units and dive teams have been conducting searches for Epling.

Mexican authorities were taking part in the search on the other side the border.

>> Staff Writer Darren Simon can be contacted at [email protected] or at 337-3442.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a problem with RR right now and their little offshoot group, as the national director of the splitnter group is a member of the christian identity movement.
View Quote

My feelings exactly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top