Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2001 12:42:06 PM EDT
Hi everyone-

I have an idea for a boycott/petition aginst the FAA's stupidity. It needs a catchy name- I thought "Boycott Manned Missiles" would be a good one.

Basically we should all advocate a boycott of all airlines until the FAA rescinds the order that law enforcement officers must fly without their weapons. Also we should demand that the government allow pilots to carry handguns.

The notion that making victims defenseless in the face of terror is bizzare. As is the faulty logic that pilots, the most comprehensively tested, trained and psychologically profiled workers in the country would become homocidal, accident-prone idiots if we allow them to be armed. We trust them to control $200 million airplanes, with hundreds of lives in their care, but the FAA treats them like closet maniacs better left disarmed as potential victims?

I don't even know what the argument is against allowing armed pilots. Is it fear of intimidating the bed-wetters (sorry, "liberals") who are afraid of the evil guns?

Pilots are certainly far more responsible and stable than ANY law-enforcement agent. Most are ex-military, with firearms training. So what is the problem?

A widespread boycott of the airlines until they start allowing rational anti-terrorism measures might work. As we all know it will be a while before people feel safe with flying anyway, so any organized attempt to keep people off planes may frighten the government into actually using logic instead of passion/feelings to make decisions about safety.

Spread the word!
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you should take a good long look at the current state of the economy. The market has lost a record breaking 1300 points in the last week. Tens of thousands have lost their jobs. Next week the same statistic will be measured in hundreds of thousands.

Think what you like, but boycotting American business at this point in time is a bullshit idea.

There are other ways.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto what M4 said.

M4's mom
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
What the hell?  This is a horrible idea!  It is time to support the american economy, not piss on it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I certainly support arming pilots.  Your boycott probably wouldn't even be noticed in the already dismal airline economy.  I intend to continue to fly as much as ever.  If some puke tries to hijack a plane from now on he will be met with resistance.  I would gladly poke his eyes out with a pencil and strangle him with my bare hands.  Forget this lame idea.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't boycott.  They wouldn't notice anyway.  Petition them and the FAA to allow armed pilots.  Don't say you won't fly if they don't arm the pilots.  Say you will fly with whichever airline arms it's pilots first.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, you are all probably right. A boycott would just hurt people (employees and travellers)- not the federales. They would not care, after all "it's for the children".

Considering the new climate in Washington though, I can't imagine a petition would work. I really worry that any kind of public input is going to be ignored over the next few months, unless it supports/parrots the official line.

I will take my boycott drive and can it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 3:33:06 PM EDT
[#7]
i'm not boycotting the airlines per se.  i just refuse to get on an aircraft with absolutely no means to defend myself.  i don't do that when i'm on the ground.  why should the sky be any different.  if they want to let me carry my little ittby bitty 3" non-serrated knife, then fine.  otherwise, i'm driving.

Link Posted: 10/19/2001 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
agreed madkiwi.

we should also:

Eliminate the FAA, and all federal regulations dealing with airplanes and travel
End all searches
Eliminate Metal detectors and xray machines
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#9]
A Bill to allow Airline Pilots to arm themselves has passed the Senate but may need some help in the House. There is a petition going around you can sign at:

http://www.rightswatch.org

Also I would recommend calling or emailing your Representative and the following ones as well.

Office of Congressman Don Young
 Chairman of the Transportation Committee
 2111 Rayburn HOB
 Washington, DC 20515
 (202) 225-5765 - Phone
 (202) 225-0425 - Fax

John L. Mica
 Chairman of the Aviation Sub Committee
 2445 Rayburn House Office Building
 Washington, DC 20515
 Phone: (202) 225-4035
 Fax: (202) 226-0821

William O. Lipinski
 Ranking Member of the Aviation Sub Committee
 2470 Rayburn  HOB
 Washington, DC 20515
 (202) 225-5701
 Fax:  (202) 225-1012
 E-Mail Address:  [email protected]

Below is a sample text of a letter. Revise as you desire.

Honorable Congressman (Insert full name here)
(insert appropriate address here)
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-xxxx

October 17, 2001

Subject: Attack on America

Dear Congressman ___________,

Senator Bob Smith of New Hampshire has introduced S.1463,
the Airline Safety Act of 2001 that supports the arming of
cockpit crewmembers. I support the Bob Smith amendment.

The tragic events in New York vividly reveal our need to
create new layers of protection to prevent hijackers from
doing this type of thing again. However, if all these layers
of protection fail, what option does the airline pilot have?
Throw everyone in the airplane to the ceiling and back to
the floor over and over again until the hijacking attempt is
stopped?

Airline pilots need a tool as the last line of defense that
will give them the opportunity to protect the lives of their
passengers, crew and innocent citizens on the ground. That
tool is a handgun, proper training and authorization to use
it in a critical situation. This tool could very well
prevent the President from making the awful decision of
having a commercial airliner shot down by our own military
aircraft.

As a group, I believe airline pilots are very mature,
responsible individuals that already are entrusted with the
lives of thousands of passengers each year. Many served in
the U.S. Military and were qualified with small arms. They
have the ability to think clearly under pressure.

We should be grateful that so many airline pilots are
willing to defend so many of us in this new way. We should
authorize and train them to do so both on and off duty as
many pilots travel each day with their families, commute to
work or deadhead in-between flights. Many of these men and
women could act as additional plain clothes Federal Air
Marshals on hundreds of flights each day industry wide if
they were properly trained and authorized to do so.

Thank you for your consideration.

Full Name
Street Address
City and State w/ zip code
Phone contact

Addesses and sample letter from:

http://www.frontsight.com

Thanks

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top