Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 7:12:45 AM EDT
The camera wasnt pointed anywhere bad. Scotus has already ruled the you have no reasonable expectation of privacy inside a bathroom as long as your not pointing the cameras toward where people actually go to the bathroom.

Whats the case from scotus? I dont remember but it had to do with a employee who got caught burning stuff in the sink in a bathroom by a hidden cam. The cams were pointed toward the sinks. He sued and lost.

Hidden camera in boy's bathroom

Kim Hynes
KWCH 12 Eyewitness News
Wednesday, December 14, 2005

An East High freshman faces expulsion for something the district says never should have happened.  Monday Charles Rogers discovered a camera in the foyer of the boy’s bathroom.  "The camera there period surprised me. It was a little spy camera, I didn't think anything like that was in the bathroom.  I didn't think it was the schools, I thought it was a perverted janitor," Charles said.

He took the camera.  He says it was in a little hole in the ceiling tile.  He also took the receiver which was in the schools auditorium.  "It looked like an irregular setup. It wasn't in a security room," his mom Melinda Rogers said.

Mrs. Rogers says what her son did was wrong.  But she wants to know why there was a hidden camera to begin with.  Eyewitness News asked the district that question.

It says cameras were installed in two boy’s bathrooms at East High to see who was drawing graffiti.  "The camera was outside the bathroom part, so nobody’s privacy was violated. It's just so they could monitor people going in and out," spokeswoman Susan Arensman said.  She says East High is the only school that used them.  "It was a mistake and we admit this was a mistake and it won't happen again," Arensman said.

Arensman says the school put up the cameras sometime this year without telling the district.  She says the other camera has now been removed.

Rogers has also been removed from East High.  Next week he has an expulsion hearing for stealing the camera.  "I think he should be punished. But to be expelled for the rest of the year is kind of tough. As misguided as it was, he thought he was doing good in taking down a hidden camera," his mom said.   The hearing is next Tuesday, we’ll keep you posted on what happens.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Expulsion sounds kinda extreme to me.  

I don't think that having the camera there was wrong, however, it should have been an obvious camera and not hidden.  I think the fact that it was hidden is what prompted the kid to think that it was suspicious and not legit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#3]
What is this susoended that you talk about in your title?

Is that from Brokeback Mountain High School?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm a little skeptical of the kid, but what retard thinks it's a great idea to put cameras in the ceiling tiles of a school bathroom.  If the kid's story is legit I'd be making the school answer for that one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Mrs. Rogers says what her son did was wrong.

How is it wrong?  Are we such sheep that cameras in the bathroom are acceptable now?  The principle and everyone responsible should be publicly stoned.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How is it wrong?  Are we such sheep that cameras in the bathroom are acceptable now?  The principle and everyone responsible should be publicly stoned.  

The camera was not filming them doing their business. It was more than likely pointed towards the mirrors or sinks.  What he did was right simply because he found a camera in the tile in the bathroom. He cant see where its pointing, he doesnt know what the film radious. It could be very likly a dom cam that can film in very wide angels. I say good job. The video recorded by the cam should be seized by the police to make sure it was not put in to record the bad stuff.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#7]

She says the other camera has now been removed.

We're going to expell the kid for the rest of the year for taking down the camera, but we're also going to remove the other one now that we've been found out.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The article makes it sound like he just kept it.  Had he turned it in said look what I found in the can he'd have better footing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#9]

I'd believe the kid a lot more if he had snatched the camera and reported it to the principal  (and not stolen the receiver).

Explusion still seems extreme in this ambiguous situation.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#11]
i say good for him for removing a camera in the bathroom ..

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'd believe the kid a lot more if he had snatched the camera and reported it to the principal  (and not stolen the receiver).

Yep. It says the receiver was in the auditorium. Whether or not it was an "irregular" setup, the kid had no business removing it from school property. He should have taken his discovery to the principal's office if he truly suspected a pervert  janitor.

I say the kid snatched the camera and receiver with intent on using the equipment himself.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This may be a stupid question, but how did he know the receiver was in the school's auditorium?

That is a good question.  If he was able to discover the camera, perhaps they did a shitty job of wiring it as well. Perhaps he just followed the wires.  Could be that the bathroom in question shares a common wall with the audiotorium and he just went in there and found it.  My theory anyways :)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This may be a stupid question, but how did he know the receiver was in the school's auditorium?

That is a very good question indeed.   I think most people in this thread are missing 2 important points:

1.  The camera was in the FOYER, not the bathroom itself.  Entry way to the bathroom.
2.  He stole the equipment, meaning he removed it from the school.  Not his property.

And the above question by SP1 Grrl.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hidden camera in boy's bathroom
Kim Hynes
KWCH 12 Eyewitness News
Wednesday, December 14, 2005

An East High freshman faces expulsion for something the district says never should have happened.  Monday Charles Rogers discovered a camera in the foyer of the boy’s bathroom.  "The camera there period surprised me. It was a little spy camera, I didn't think anything like that was in the bathroom.  I didn't think it was the schools, I thought it was a perverted janitor," Charles said.

He took the camera.  He says it was in a little hole in the ceiling tile.  He also took the receiver which was in the schools auditorium.  "It looked like an irregular setup. It wasn't in a security room," his mom Melinda Rogers said.

Dumb bitch.

But she wants to know why there was a hidden camera to begin with.  Eyewitness News asked the district that question.

It says cameras were installed in two boy’s bathrooms at East High to see who was drawing graffiti.  "The camera was outside the bathroom part, so nobody’s privacy was violated. It's just so they could monitor people going in and out," spokeswoman Susan Arensman said.  She says East High is the only school that used them. "It was a mistake and we admit this was a mistake and it won't happen again," Arensman said.

So what's the kid being punished for?

The school made a mistake and he corrected it. I'm having a little trouble seeing the problem. Even if he kept the equipment, I don't see a problem. He invaded a likely voyeur's property "rights" in his pervicam.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Obviously the school must know they are in the wrong because they removed both. I think if a school is recording in the bathroom, they should make it easily seen.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:12:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't think that having the camera there was wrong, however, it should have been an obvious camera and not hidden.  I think the fact that it was hidden is what prompted the kid to think that it was suspicious and not legit.

The camera was there to catch whoever was scrawling grafitti in the bathroom. They aren't going to do that in front of an obvious camera.
They needed to do a better job of concealing the camera if a student was able to identify it as such.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#18]
If it was there to catch kids writing on the bathroom walls how in the hell can it do that if it was not pointed at were most of the writing takes place(on the stall walls, were you rest your hand when wizing, etc.). I wonder if the other cam was in the girls bathroom? The kid did wrong for removing it but the school was wrong for installing them. If the kid is guilty ror stealing school property, then whom ever okayed the cam installation should be fired.What is worse a kid stealing a hidden cam in a bathroom or an adult that installs a hidden cam in teenagers bathrooms?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Ppl. sometimes change clothes outside of a stall(especially a school environment). The principal was probably jacking off to young boys/men disrobing...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So what's the kid being punished for?

The school made a mistake and he corrected it. I'm having a little trouble seeing the problem. Even if he kept the equipment, I don't see a problem. He invaded a likely voyeur's property "rights" in his pervicam.

Probably because he made the 'authority' look dumb.  That is what he is being punished for.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn, If it was my kid, He would have dropped the camera into the toilet
and then taken a dump on it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Cameras in a bathroom are freaken WRONG whatever the reason.

If you suspect someone is drug dealing or writing on the walls, place a monitor in there, not a camera.
When I was in HS, we had monitors trolling the restrooms---never knew when they'd come in. They were guidance councilors and school maintenance men/women.
WTH have we come to when we need to have big brotherism in the freaken bathrooms?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Call in the ACLU!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#24]

It says cameras were installed in two boy’s bathrooms at East High to see who was drawing graffiti. "The camera was outside the bathroom part, so nobody’s privacy was violated. It's just so they could monitor people going in and out," spokeswoman Susan Arensman said. She says East High is the only school that used them. "It was a mistake and we admit this was a mistake and it won't happen again," Arensman said.

so if it was placed there to find out who was defacing school property, and it was pointed to see who was coming and going, and not where the defacing was taking place, who's to say who the guilty persons are. Wouldn't it be prudent for them to place the camera where they could see the crime taking place?

I wonder if the other cam was in the girls bathroom?

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#25]
The ACLU already knows about this and suported the schools actions.

It is called home schooling.  I will not put my kids in public schools any longer.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#26]
As a parent of three children, if the school that I send my children to put a camera in the bathroom, the school council and the principal personally would have serious explaining to do. This is wrong and not because of the 'rights' of schoolchildren.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#27]
If I were the principal I'd be freakin' pissed. Secret cameras are supposed to be set up in the girls bathroom!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#28]
The kid needs to stay in school...

The perverts who put the camera in the bathroom need to be fired.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top