Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 12:39:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You can export the favorites folder as a document, then send it to hear email.

That's all I know.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I just did this on my gma's new pc.

I just exported the contacts list from outlook and impoted it on the new pc.

Same with internet explorer.  I imported her IE favorites into firefox though.

Should just be an import export button in favorites.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
In internet explore go to file, import/export. It will walk you through and crank out a export fle. Move that file to the new machine and do the same import/export wizard and should be good to go. The process is aout the same really if she's using microsoft outlook for email.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's a desktop you can physically transfer the hard drive and use it as a back up in the new case.  Then you can just drag and drop some of the files you want and still have access to the old ones of you ever need to dig through the old stuff.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Contacts - are you using Outlook?  File menu, then "Import and Export" is the tool you use if so.

Favorites are stored at C:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Favorites by default in XP.  Unless something dramatic changed from the last several versions of windows, you should be able to drag and drop it to the same location on the new computer and they will be good to go after you restart your browser.  If you need to consolidate it to a single file for ease of transmission, right click the folder and create a zip archive.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Create a new account on the old computer and give it administration privledges. Log on as that user. Open File Explorer. Click on tools > folder options > View. Scroll down and click on 'Show hidden files and folders' and uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files....' Click the 'Apply to all folders' button at the top. Click Yes. Click 'OK' button at the bottom. This will expose the folders holding your email and contacts. They will initially be hidden on new computer setups.

Copy C:\Documents and Settings\<Wifes user name> folder to the external drive.

Create wife's account on new computer and give admin rights. Create your account on new computer with admin rights. Log on new computer as wife, install programs.

Open Office and set up email. Important! This gets office setup initially.

Copy Favorites, documents, desktop folders to corresponding folders on new computer. Some folder names have been slightly changed (Documents vs. My Documents) but they hold the same data.

Office email is stored in folder on external drive at \Documents and Settings\<Wifes user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst   Address book is in C:\Documents and Settings\<Wifes user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\<Wifes User Name>.wab Copy these files to new computer in the same directory. Follow directions above about getting hidden files and folders exposed.

Should be good to go. Anything you miss is still on the old computer. Copy them to CD and move to new.

This is how I do it, but I've been doing it like this for years, so I am familiar with any problems that might arise. Questions? PM me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Microsoft Office Save My Settings Wizard (this may not work with your version) and FIles and Settings Transfer Wizard found under accessories and system tools.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
IE > Files > Import and Export.  Next, > Use the Export funtions.

Transfer the files to the new computer.  IE > Files > Import and Export.  Next, > Use the Import functions.

The actual emails, I don't know, don't use Outlook at all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The easy transfer utility built into Vista will do it. Here's how.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/easy-transfer.aspx
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The easy transfer utility built into Vista will do it. Here's how.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/easy-transfer.aspx

This!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Man!! You guys are doing it the hard way. It's easy if you have a USB memory stick, CD burner, or external hard drive.

On old computer go to:

C:\ Documents and Settings \ wifes_name \ Favorites

Copy everything in the favorites folder to the same folder on the new computer

All the email, calendar, and contacts are all stored in one file for Outlook:

C:\ Documents and Settings \ wifes_name \ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Microsoft \ Outlook

Copy everything in the Outlook folder to the same folder on the new computer.

Takes 5 minutes tops.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Man!! You guys are doing it the hard way. It's easy if you have a USB memory stick or external hard drive.

On old computer go to:

C:\ Documents and Settings \ wifes_name \ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Microsoft \ Outlook

Copy everything in the Outlook folder to the same folder on the new computer

Never used Vista have ya?

File structure isn't the same.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Man!! You guys are doing it the hard way. It's easy if you have a USB memory stick or external hard drive.

On old computer go to:

Copy everything in the Outlook folder to the same folder on the new computer

Never used Vista have ya?

File structure isn't the same.

The theory is the same for Vista isn't it. Just find the right files and copy them to the new computer in the correct directory.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#15]
The problem I had was this.
The wife's old computer was a XP Home and the new one was Vista Home Premium.
Sounds simple...doesn't it.

Well as it turned out it wasn't.
The XP used Outlook and the Vista used Mail. They are not compatible.
I had to buy Outlook to get the email, calendar and contacts to transfer.

This sounds simple, but it took a month of asking everyone I know, even a post here, before I figured it out.

WTF was Microsoft thinking about?

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top