Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 5:48:52 PM EDT
A good friend has terminal cancer and has about a week left to live.  He has been liquidating his firearm collection as there is no longer any need for it, as well as trying to raise additional money to leave his wife in a better position.

My friend Joe, who I met out here in Colorado during a scouting mission, was a major reason I felt comfortable out here.  He was what you call a "Fast friend" - we just clicked.  He was a former District Attorney, as well as an AVID IDPA shooter, 2nd supporter, NAVY, and overall good guy.  He used to post pro gun jokes/fliers in his law practice front window, and on my first trip out here, was taking a picture of the funny things he posted. and we began to chat.  

Over the course of the last few years, he tried to get me involved with IDPA as well as getting certified by the NRA to teach the CCW classes.  I never got around to it ( as they say, life sometimes gets in the way ), and now that his life is nearing it end, really wished I could've spent more time with him.

His cancer, and rapid decline has taught me a lesson.  Spend time with those you care about as you just don't know how much time is left on this planet.  Because of this, I've been considering leaving a place I really like, to move closer to family.  Hug the ones you care about, and tell the ones you love - you love them.  

Here she is.  I'll remember him every time I see it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear about your friend.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry for you...A gun is more than a gun when it has memories.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#3]
That's great, although for a very sad reason. I'm sorry for what's ahead, and hope you never have need to part with it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear about your friend, I lost a good friend of mine today.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
May the blessings be.

The older I get the more I realize:  If we have our health, we have it all.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
May the blessings be.

The older I get the more I realize:  If we have our health, we have it all.

You got that right
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend.  Cancer is horrible, I've lost too many people I've loved to it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#8]
It really sucks about your friend.  Some people fall into our lives for a little while and then they're gone before we know it.

I'm glad to see that this levergun is going to someone who will cherish it.  It breaks my heart when fine firearms fall into the hands of indifferent folks or scumbags.  Great peices of history are lost this way, and I'm glad this old rifle is going to a better fate.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, what everyone said. I am sorry to hear about this.
My oldest brother would have been 72 today, before the cancer got him. RIP Bill.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Just lost my friend, Joe, who had terminal brain cancer. He had a heart attack though. Veteran of the Korean Conflict and would've been 82 this May.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It really sucks about your friend.  Some people fall into our lives for a little while and then they're gone before we know it.

I'm glad to see that this levergun is going to someone who will cherish it.  It breaks my heart when fine firearms fall into the hands of indifferent folks or scumbags.  Great peices of history are lost this way, and I'm glad this old rifle is going to a better fate.

It always seems the time was too short.

It's a 1963.  It's the first new gun he ever bought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top