Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2008 7:09:36 PM EDT
No pics yet, as it isn't home, but a pretty decent deal all things considered.  

'02 Honda XR400r

Edelbrock Carb
2 factory Mikuni carbs
Extra honda racing seat,
Extra standard tank
Extra Graphics
Large enduro tank
Extra wheels with paddle tire
Trail Tech computer
Honda Shop Manual
plus a bunch of little tidbits like tie downs, a butt plug, spare oil and filters

And best of all, a real live Colorado Title, plus the original MSO.  

All for 3500.  

Next on the list is dirt bike PPE, my endorsement, insurance, registration, and I am ready for the trail!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 5:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like you did good!  

I've wanted one of those ever since I bought a 400ex in 2000.  It's pretty much the same motor and it made plenty of power in a four wheeler, so it should be a lot of fun in a bike that weighs over 100 lbs less.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
plate it, yer in CO. they let you do cool things like that!

Join up on ADVrider and those guys will teach ya some great places to ride!!!

Welcome to the dirt world!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 6:22:03 AM EDT
[#3]
pics or  
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool!

I haven't had a dirt bike in 20+ yrs. I miss it. And I live in the middle of prime land to explore on a dirt bike.

Too many hobbies, not enough $$$ to spread around. And most of them aren't getting any cheaper to do either.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Not sure how the Edelbrocks do on the Honda's but they're considered to be junk for the DRZs.

I really want to try out a Honda Thumper.

Good luck with it!
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the looks of XR400 and have always wanted to try one.  The non factory carb seems like a dumb idea.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The non factory carb seems like a dumb idea.  

If you'd ever lived with a factory carb, you'd know why it's not. Honda makes a great bike, but they've never let their bikes breath or drink properly from the factory.

Congrats on the bike, the XR400 is an awesome thumper....looked for one myself but everything I found was beat to death or overpriced.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#8]
wtf?????? you fail, and I thought you should know I'm SERIOUSLY DISSAPOINTED in you right now.

Link Posted: 8/24/2008 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
wtf?????? you fail, and I thought you should know I'm SERIOUSLY DISSAPOINTED in you right now.

Why?  Like I care what some broken down rig hand thinks of me.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you'd ever lived with a factory carb, you'd know why it's not. Honda makes a great bike, but they've never let their bikes breath or drink properly from the factory.

Congrats on the bike, the XR400 is an awesome thumper....looked for one myself but everything I found was beat to death or overpriced.

The aftermarket Edelbrock pumper carb is great.  The only downfall is no choke.  However, since it has a real acellerator pump, getting a few squirts is easy.  It starts on the first or second kick typically when cold.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The aftermarket Edelbrock pumper carb is great.  The only downfall is no choke.  However, since it has a real acellerator pump, getting a few squirts is easy.  It starts on the first or second kick typically when cold.  

I always heard they're a bear to get tuned since they got away from the three circuit + AP squirt.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always heard they're a bear to get tuned since they got away from the three circuit + AP squirt.

The guy I bought the bike from was a Honda Tech, and he had the bike tuned very well.  I honestly don't know about the tuning.  I am not too worried though.  I have tuned a few old hot rods, so "how hard can it be?"  
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why?  Like I care what some broken down rig hand thinks of me.  

I'd argue, but thats a good point.

Link Posted: 8/25/2008 5:41:59 AM EDT
[#14]

The guy I bought the bike from was a Honda Tech, and he had the bike tuned very well.  I honestly don't know about the tuning.  I am not too worried though.  I have tuned a few old hot rods, so "how hard can it be?"  

Yeah I'm not too sure how they work but with a traditional carb there's a handful of things for the 2 jets, and needle and it can still be a nightmare to tune, thankfully my FCR I bought used came pretty well dialed in.

I was thinking about getting some type of beater for just toying around in the woods, I was thinking an used 125 or 250 two-stroke since they're getting so cheap but after riding my buddy's freshly rebuilt YZ250 last night I'm not sure if I'd even be happy on a bike like that.

Felt like I was riding an animal with an on/off switch no power between, I was really missing the thumper.  

Thinking an XR 250 or 400 would better fit the bill now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Paddle tire and XR400 is not something you generally hear in the same sentence......

Air cooled 4stroke m/c and sand dunes is a receipe for disaster IMO - make sure the valves clearances are in spec.

Brian
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#16]
A butt plug? As long as it wasn't used, then have at it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I was thinking about getting some type of beater for just toying around in the woods, I was thinking an used 125 or 250 two-stroke since they're getting so cheap but after riding my buddy's freshly rebuilt YZ250 last night I'm not sure if I'd even be happy on a bike like that.
Felt like I was riding an animal with an on/off switch no power between, I was really missing the thumper.  

You don't pay attention, do you.  

If you want to turn a 250 MX bike into a woods or trail bike you have to do some modifications to it.

Get a FMF midrange pipe, get some Boyesen reeds, a flywheel weight kit, put an extra head or base gasket in it and then ride it.

You'll really like it if you put a LA Sleeve 300 kit in it.  

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#18]
wow, still failing horribly.

Link Posted: 9/3/2008 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I wanted an xr400 when I was younger, but then I went back to motocross bikes
Am currently on my second crf450. It is by far the best bike I have ever ridden
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Mtech,

Sorry.  I really am.  I just moved, and I have my camera, but I lost my sd card for the camera.  If you really want, I will send you a text message pic of the bike.  Just email me your number.  

Yeah, I know.  Lame.  Oh well.  What do you expect from some service company flunkie?  

ETA, mtech, I rode it up the back of Mt Garfield from Cameo.  About 20 miles all total, some of it pretty nasty, and it kicked ass.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice bike. Enjoy.

What do the XR650R's sell for around you?

I love my dual-sported beast.

-Z
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Mtech,

Sorry.  I really am.  I just moved, and I have my camera, but I lost my sd card for the camera.  If you really want, I will send you a text message pic of the bike.  Just email me your number.  

Yeah, I know.  Lame.  Oh well.  What do you expect from some service company flunkie?  

ETA, mtech, I rode it up the back of Mt Garfield from Cameo.  About 20 miles all total, some of it pretty nasty, and it kicked ass.  

It's all good. But you know I gotta give ya a hard time. Especially being as though you graduated from that junk box of a school.

There is a lot of really really good riding over on the western slope. Sometimes I get really bummed out when I realize I moved to this half instead of that half.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mtech,

It's all good. But you know I gotta give ya a hard time. Especially being as though you graduated from that junk box of a school.

There is a lot of really really good riding over on the western slope. Sometimes I get really bummed out when I realize I moved to this half instead of that half.

Buy a bike.  Meet me in the middle while its still warm.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top