Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 7:25:57 PM EDT
He had such a good time going dove hunting with me, I thought "why not let him try himself". He's pretty responsible, and I'll be there in very close proximity.

Academy Sporting goods sells a Mossberg  500 youth "Bantam" model in 20ga. The best thing is, it takes all other 500 barrels (20ga) and stocks, and is thus upgradeable as he gets bigger. That and it came with I/C, Mod and Full chokes for $200. They even threw in a coupon for 50% off a longer stock (no expiration date), so I think that's a hell of a deal.

We'll go out on Saturday morning to look for some doves, and around mid-morning I'll have him shoot at some stationary targets and then try some clay pigeons. I don't expect him to do too well for a while, but it's father/son time no matter what.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]

My dad got me a single-shot 20-gauge shotgun, made by some Brazilian company, when I was 12. I loved it.

Your kid better appreciate what you got him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like you got a hell of a deal.   I have got my son addicted to my AR and his .22 rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah - he's got a .22, but the problem is that while he can shoot pretty well, the length of pull on most guns is too long for him. This one is about perfect. He's a big 8 year old (90th percentile height/weight), so he won't have long to go before that's a non-issue.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:20:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Excellent choice. Both the firearm and the early hunting training. He'll be a hunter and a firearms enthusiast for life as long as you keep it fun.

Both of my sons are gun nuts from exaclty the same thing you are doing.

Good work!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top