Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/12/2003 12:47:29 PM EDT
..that I don't work enough hours.  How stupid is that? What the fuck is up with upper management being obsessed with the number of hours that a salaried employee works?
I asked him if I was doing badly or things weren't getting done, and he said no.  I don't get this mentality.  To me, I'd rather work smart than work long.  I figured it out, and if I worked 60 hours a week, I'd make about the same amount of money working as an electrician with time and a half overtime.  Except that as an electrician I'd have no stress, could work when I want, and could generally get away with a completely shitty work ethic and attitude.
What a joke.
Anyone know any GC's that are hiring management?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd fire you for having a bad attitude.
j/k[:D]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
LOL, typical boss bullshit.
My boss would say the same thing and it was because he was pissed because he was there later than everybody else. When my works done, I'm gone.
Companies don't give a shit about you, why should you care about them.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#3]
That's why they started karaoke bars in Japan. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I'm going to need you to go ahead and come in around 9:00 Saturday morning....
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Yup, this is common bullshit.

They put you on salery so you can work 10-20 hours gratis.

My own former company was infamous for doing this and my own boss didn't like the fact that I restricted my work week to 45 hours or so a week (emergencies not withstanding).

This of course didn't count for the fact that I usually worked through lunch and used my own time (nights and weekends) to travel to on my many business trips.

Oh, and on those trips I was expected to return to my hotel room and work some more on my company supplied lap top.

All for free, no extra pay, no comp time.

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Where I work we have "casual time" where we are expected to work 1-2 hrs "off the books."  By company rules, this is not to be very often or sustained.  Basicly every other day or so.  Unfortunately, the powers that be think this means every day and weekends too.  You get bitched at if you dont do it, but since you dont voucher the time, its really hard to keep track of it.  Fortunately, I am a salaried employee with OT.  There is hardly enough work to keep me here full time let alone "casual time" so my boss told me to forget about it and if I need to stay late, fill it out as overtime. W00T
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm going to need you to go ahead and come in around 9:00 Saturday morning....
View Quote

and I'm going to need you to go ahead and come in Sunday as well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#9]
After spending 4 months training in a new guy to do my job, it was leaked to me by him that he was also to be my boss. I asked for a meeting with my boss/best friend of 30 years, & asked why I wasn't being given the position. He told me that I didn't want to be in management anyway. At lest my preferred work hours didn't show I wanted to be. I asked for elaboration, & he said I would always ask to leave when the work was done for the day, but that I never asked to work late. ????? I guess it's the same as you were told. I quite my job of almost 13 years, after giving 2 months notice, & I haven't spoken with my "best friend" in 1 1/2 years.
I made the point at the time with him that why would I want to stay "after" the work was done, & get time-&-1/2 for trying to look busy? He really couldn't give me a good reason for what he said. Go figure, their the "smart" ones in charge.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i got ya beat!

i am paid salary + overtime.

We have to have a minimum 70% productive work hours in a week. No problem i am usually closer to 95%. We are on a NO overtime policy. In otherwords work ot they expect us to reschedule our days to equal no OT worked. Now i have no problem with this in theory.

Now here is the killer! On my yearly review i am expected to have "X" amount of OT. If i don't i am not pulling my weight for the "team". If i get OT then i am not properly managing my time. Either way we get screwed at out review. This year i said to hell with it. I just write the OT and take the cash. I get bitched at either way, might as well get paid for it.

Mike
View Quote

Do you work for GS or IBM proper?

Sounds like the kind of crap GS was pulling on people out here.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Slackers!

[peep]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He's the boss he's supposed to get people to work beyond thier potential so he can get his bonus check.
View Quote

Exactly.

When I found out this little tidbit I actually became a problem employee.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#15]
You fucked lumbar?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#16]
check with USDOL
A 40 hour work week for salaried individuals is pretty standard, unless in writing.  Do not confuse this with "voluntary overtime".
Any time over that is straight-time overtime (calculate this based on dividing your salary by total hours within a year).
Some states have labor laws that extend beyond the federal minimum.  Also, sometimes there are minimums for overtime.  For examnple, 2 hour shift after work, regardless if you workd the entire 2 hours.  4 hour shifts on weekends or where you must drive back into work.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I was paid salary only once, for half time.  After I completed all the licenses tests, training, learned all the ropes over 6 months of work, I was rewarded by being ordered to work 40 hours a week, on 1/2 time salary.  Adios, good luck trying to find someone who will do that, have fun training them.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#18]
If you don't come in on Saturday, don't bother coming in on Sunday[BD]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#20]
What the hell does "PC load letter" mean anyway?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:55:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yeah, we lost a few people this week, and we have to sort of play catch-up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, and, ah, could you just go ahead and move your office...
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I figgered it was just a matter of time before your boss  decided to ship ya out. This is their way of getting the ball rolling. Maybe they don't like your atitude??? Figger they can get someone just as good who'll work more for the same, or less $$$??

There's a lot of fish in the sea! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#24]
you guys need to get a union.  heheh.  

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You fucked lumbar?
View Quote

Lumberg! NOT Lumbar!

BTW, did you get the memo about the TPS reports?

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#27]
My job sucks, even though I belong to a HIGH POWER RIFLE CLUB 1 MILE DOWN THE ROAD. I get to shoot everyday!

I am grateful to be employed right now. I look around this board, and I see so many looking for jobs...

I once had no shoes and complained, until I met a man with no feet.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, as far as my "bad attitude" goes, that's one of my other favorite corporate lines.  Do they ever stop to think about where the shitty attitude came from?  I was one gung-ho motherfucker when I came to work here.  However, as soon as I realized that they had no intention of letting me do my job, my attitude went right in the shitter.
I got a computer that's so slow I call it the abacus.  I was put in charge of safety, but I'm not allowed to throw anyone off the job for repeat violations.  I'm told to get the work done, but I'm not allowed to supplement a sub's crew to do it.  Nice huh?  Wonder where that shitty attitude came from.....
I've been with this company a year and a half, and they're talking about giving me a promotion in October.  It's my understanding thus far that this "promotion" means the following:
-work more hours
-do it further from home (40 miles round trip instead of 8)
-come in most weekends
-have more responsiblity
-work directly for the jackass that I talk about in the beginning of this thread
-keep the same pay

So, you guys tell me, where's the promotion?  I've heard of other people in the company that have asked for raises after this "promotion" only to get yelled at and told that they should be thankful for the opportunity.  WTF is that?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#30]
 Hmmmmm, you should work where I do, heres is what has happened since Monday...

Due to steller lack of performance the past week, I was on vacation hehe, we are now ordered to work 7 days a week until further notice, no exceptions for anyone, and on top of that we have to work over and or come in early every day also.....

Now here is where it gets good, about a month ago we were told by managment, that we, maintiance, were not needed and they could run this plant without us, we were nothing but dead wieght to them... BUT now we are told to work 7 days a week, now If I am not needed out there, then why must I work 7 days a week, but thats ok I will take all that OT and Double time, bring it on, and if I have to work on the 4th of July, then it will be TRIPLE time and a half, so bring it on.....

Now yesterday morning here is what happened, 3 rd shift left us screwed as allways, they are really hurting us bad, anyway, they had shut downa press that needed to run, they said it would not so they just shut it off and did not work on it, well here I am at 6am and ready to go and I get my a$$ ate out by the plant manager, I said hey go ask nights why they did not work on it, well he got pissed... he went to the plant engineer and said fire those guys on 1st shift we dont need them, ya ok whatever.... needless to say myself and 2 others got the press up and going, and it ran all day.... but remember I am not needed, they can run that place with out us.....
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I think my sig line says it all. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Our company was working a few crews up to 16-18 hrs a day, sometimes 20.  They had jobs stacked up waiting for these guys.  Then they would have the nerve to call them in and tell them, "If you guys don't stop charging so much overtime, we'll have to lay somebody off."  The guys said, "Fine, lay us off.  We need some rest."
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Old school bullshit.  They want someone to be there BEFORE they get there and leave AFTER they leave.  It's a psychological thing that helps them believe that someone wants their job OR will acknowledge their work ethic, i.e.LOTS OF FREE HOURS = GOOD EMPLOYEE.

{DALE FROM KING OF THE HILL} DO NOT BE DECEIVED[/DALE]

On the other hand it is hard to underestimate the value of a good attitude or the poison of a bad one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:41:53 PM EDT
[#34]
... Welcome to the world of "Lean" gentlemen.

... My Company has never suggested that my "Flex" hours may not be of popular liking. If I weren't here to get the job done right, on time and within budget; it wouldn't get done. Luckily, I'm like my own agent. I'm the only one I need to please. However, in adhering to this philosophy my "managers" goals are accomplished.

... My motto is: Hang on and enjoy the ride.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I like the Free time = good employee.  Work hard when you got crunches,but not every week.

Working long when you are the boss is different than working hard when you serve the boss.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd like to get in on the "bash the boss" fest!

We have a saying around my work place with regards to our boss.  "It's not a problem until it effects you!"  We have to put up with all the BS and stupid policies but since they don't effect our boss, nothing will ever change.

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Its not that i'm lazy, its that I just don't care.............ya see, its problem of motivation, Bob"
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Hard work always pays off in the end.
Laziness pays off right now though.

As a teacher I probably work for 50-60hrs a week at school and at home doing paperwork.  We used to be able to go home early but about two years ago they mandated teachers being on site until 4pm.  It was nice to leave early once a week to get errands done.  Well, I do get seven weeks of paid vacation each year.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Are you the same guys that say we don't need unions anymore?

United We Bargain / Divided We Beg.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
i got ya beat!

i am paid salary + overtime.

We have to have a minimum 70% productive work hours in a week. No problem i am usually closer to 95%. We are on a NO overtime policy. In otherwords work ot they expect us to reschedule our days to equal no OT worked. Now i have no problem with this in theory.

Now here is the killer! On my yearly review i am expected to have "X" amount of OT. If i don't i am not pulling my weight for the "team". If i get OT then i am not properly managing my time. Either way we get screwed at out review. This year i said to hell with it. I just write the OT and take the cash. I get bitched at either way, might as well get paid for it.

Mike
View Quote

Now that's the right attitude!!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:20:48 AM EDT
[#41]
I work a commission job, at sears none the less, but they get mad if we come in a minute late, I've seen people get fired over 7 minutes late a few times, even when it's slow as hell and the floor is overstaffed.  Not only that, but they expect us to do stuff that doesn't even pay.  At the last store I worked at before I transfered to this one (duh) we had a stock boy to keep everything stocked so we could concentrate on possible selling and earning our .5% commission, not here, no, we have to stock everything ourselves, plus we have to move everything around, while on the clock and NOT waiting on customers..  Commission isn't always what it's cracked up to be.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#43]
You guys keep forgetting that; [b]"There's always more work to be done".[/b] It's not as if they're asking you to clean the toilet.
If someone takes the initiative to do more, well then they can and should be rewarded for it. Whether it's with promotions or bigger raises.
If you can do the same job in 5 hours that everyone else needs 8 hours to accomplish, eventually you'll be their boss.
It's not going to happen when a union is involved. That's how unions suck the life out of productivity.

Now get back to work and stop surfing the internet.

Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Oh, and next Friday...is Hawaiian shirt day...so, you know, if you want to you can go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hard work always pays off in the end.
Laziness pays off right now though.

As a teacher I probably work for 50-60hrs a week at school and at home doing paperwork.  We used to be able to go home early but about two years ago they mandated teachers being on site until 4pm.  It was nice to leave early once a week to get errands done.  Well, I do get seven weeks of paid vacation each year.

View Quote

And in MA, during that summer vacation and during school year breaks, teachers have to keep up their accreditation by attending conferences, workshops, seminars, etc., most of which are utter bullshit, but one must jump through the hoops and sling back the bull using educationalese in reports and projects for these courses. Each one generally is considered to be 1-3 credit hours, and one must do 120 hours within a certain time, or else, you could lose your job. Pretty much every teacher is also,in addition, supposed to have a master's degree after a while, but- Catch 22- they don't like hiring you with a master's degree straight off, since you have to be paid more from the get-go.

Surrounding states are worse.

Anybody still wonder why I stay home and raise the kids now? At least now I can volunteer in my kids' school, do all the extra fun stuff I used to do as teacher (and still not get paid for it...) but I get to walk away from it, when I'm done, unlike the teachers.

BTW did I tell you guys I brought a gun into school the other day, to show the kiddies? A Brown Bess musket, actually.... [:)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:10:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I figured it out, and if I worked 60 hours a week, I'd make about the same amount of money working as an electrician with time and a half overtime.  Except that as an electrician I'd have no stress, could work when I want, and could generally get away with a completely shitty work ethic and attitude.
View Quote

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.  71K last year in eight months.  Complete with shitty work ethic and attitude.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#47]
You need to stay billable. Remember the multiplier attached to your pay goes to overhead. Your office makes money of the overhead right.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I did nothing. I did nothing all day today and it was everything I thought it could be.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#49]
An Indian walks into a cafe with a shotgun in one hand and a bucket of buffalo manure in the other. He says to the waiter, "Me want coffee."

The waiter says, "Sure chief, coming right up."  He gets the Indian a tall mug of coffee, and the Indian drinks it down in one gulp, picks up the bucket of manure, throws it into the air, blasts it with the shotgun, then just walks out.

The next morning the Indian returns. He has his shotgun in one hand and a bucket of manure in the other. He walks up to the counter and says to the waiter, "Me want coffee."

The waiter says, "Whoa, Tonto.  We're still cleaning up your mess from the last time you were here. What the heck was all that about, anyway?"

"Me in training for Upper Management Position. Come in, drink coffee, shoot the shit, and disappear for rest of the day." [banana][party]

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top